Why become a member? ×

What was your most embarrassing moment at a gig?

duncbassgit

[quote name='bassninja' timestamp='1321701746' post='1442089']
Not me unfortunately, Rhys. I was probably in a folk rock band called 1066 at the time. Young & impressionable...
[/quote]
I remember watching you! Your band was really good. I've always been into folk & folk rock stuff - some of the first stuff I ever learned were Steeleye Span, Fairport & Albion Country Band bass lines
Just found you in the programme - you were on at 3.45pm, though if I remember rightly the running times listed were approximate at best. :)

A long time ago we did Alive by Peark Jam at the end of the set.
On the first hit / chord of the intro myself and the drummer used to look at each other and nod for no reason at all.
On a particularly small stage I turned my head round to look at him and was promptly smacked the mouth by his crash cymbal which meant I had to do the last song sucking my bottom lip with blood pouring down my jaw.
Perfect for an Alice copper cover band, not so perfect for a normal band down the dog 'n duck.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1321704386' post='1442156']
I remember watching you! Your band was really good. I've always been into folk & folk rock stuff - some of the first stuff I ever learned were Steeleye Span, Fairport & Albion Country Band bass lines
Just found you in the programme - you were on at 3.45pm, though if I remember rightly the running times listed were approximate at best. :)
[/quote]

Well, stone me...

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1321707354' post='1442204']
On a particularly small stage I turned my head round to look at him and was promptly smacked the mouth by his crash cymbal which meant I had to do the last song sucking my bottom lip with blood pouring down my jaw.
[/quote]

Ouch.

Doing Black Night on Friday, counting out the 12 bars of the solo in the middle, turned round to look at drummer to confirm, can see him counting out loud, get to 12 bars LAUNCH into main riff, everyone else carries on, on 13th bar he bangs out a drum roll and the others hit the riff, I felt about 2 inches tall....was video'd as well *sigh*

Last friday has to be mine, the drummer came in with wrong drum beat and tempo for a song and after the whole band tried to limp through and play the intro it was very obvious it couldn't be done. I had to stop the band, show the drummer the riff to which he still got the beat and tempo wrong and then had to stop and start AGAIN! needless to say I looked a fool and had to pretty much count the drummer into songs from that point onwards. Never been so embarrassed at a gig.

Ahhh drummers :)

There's nothing more awkward than playing with a reactive drummer, the guy who doesn't lead cos he doesn't know the songs and instead follows bits of whatever instrument he can hear at that point and makes unexpected changes accordingly. I spent many years in and out of a mate's blues band, subbing whenever their latest bassist quit until they got a new one. Drummer was unenthusiatic and entirely reactive as a result and it really was an eye opener because not only was the bass keeping the tempo in check and leading the songs, you also had to be on your toes to react when he'd lash off into a different section late or end the song early, fun stuff like that. It never bothered the guitarist, funnily enough :)

This one wasn't acutally me, but it was the drummer (my best mate) in a band we were in years ago.
At the end of a particularly triumphant gig he decided to kick his kit over and do the most spectacular stage dive I've ever seen. The thing was that at the other end of the stage the singer was coincidentally doing the same thing so the punters at the front went to catch him which left a big gaping hole for said drummer to plummet into and smash his wrist in.
Fortunately there was no serious damage done and it's kept us laughing about it for the past 15 years.