Why become a member? ×

Portable recorders - Which is best value?

obbm

Thats vey hard to say really.

I like the Zoom series, I have an H4n, mainly because of the mic configuration which is one that I particularly like for stereo (no phase issues between the two mics)

The question you need to ask is what is this for?

If the answer is taking a note of what we did in rehearsal, then a Zoom H1 plus the goody bag with the extras is a very good value for money solution, if you need more options wrt mic placement in the room, faux omni directional recording the H2 is good, the H2n is a better device (easier to use blah blah blah) but watch out because you only get the power supply in the extras goody bag on that one (which is more than a bit naughty IMO)

If you would like the option of 4 tracking things a bit the H4n is ok, but very fiddly to use, if I had the money again I would get the R16 as I could easily use 8 mics getting drums down....

The Tascams are very strong performers in this area. Defo worth checking out. My Tascam field recorder (I have the Mk1 also) are great and provide a very honest reproduction.

[url="http://tascam.com/product/dr-07mk2/"]http://tascam.com/product/dr-07mk2/[/url]

Thanks for the quick responses. Previously I have used a portable mini-disc recorder and small external which fulfilled the role very well but is a bit fiddly to set up. I'm not after studio quality recording just a record of what's been played so (a) I know what I need to play or (:) whether I played it right. I had spotted the Zoom H1 and there seem some good deals around at the moment.

Ahhh I was too slow to reply, but speaking of Zoom, I have the Q3HD that adds video too. It is absolutely brilliant and I am stunned at how well it picks up a live band from its two mics.. So a big thumbs up for Zoom!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1319540027' post='1415318']
Thats vey hard to say really.

I like the Zoom series, I have an H4n, mainly because of the mic configuration which is one that I particularly like for stereo (no phase issues between the two mics)

The question you need to ask is what is this for?

If the answer is taking a note of what we did in rehearsal, then a Zoom H1 plus the goody bag with the extras is a very good value for money solution, if you need more options wrt mic placement in the room, faux omni directional recording the H2 is good, the H2n is a better device (easier to use blah blah blah) but watch out because you only get the power supply in the extras goody bag on that one (which is more than a bit naughty IMO)

If you would like the option of 4 tracking things a bit the H4n is ok, but very fiddly to use, if I had the money again I would get the R16 as I could easily use 8 mics getting drums down....
[/quote]

This! - The goody bag is worth getting if only for the AC adaptor which is a godsend because the thing seems to eat batteries while it's turned off, so I'm always having to reset date and time, and many of my recordings were made on the 1st of jan 2010 at 1am. Can't fault the quality of the recordings, you can choose the mp3 quality to save disc space, it comes with a 2gb card which is plenty big enough if you housekeep it regularly. The stand and case that come in the pack are useful too - not really used the wooly muffler and handgrip but someone must.

[quote name='lanark' timestamp='1320058732' post='1421599']

... not really used the wooly muffler and handgrip but someone must.
[/quote]

If you mean what I think you mean by "the handgrip", that's actually designed to allow the H2 to be mounted on any standard microphone stand ... the grip is the same shape and size as a normal microphone.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1320062435' post='1421673']

If you mean what I think you mean by "the handgrip", that's actually designed to allow the H2 to be mounted on any standard microphone stand ... the grip is the same shape and size as a normal microphone.
[/quote]

Ahhhhhhhhhh - I didn't know that. I thought it was to hold onto without squashing and creaking the plasticy casing.