Why become a member? ×

Bilbo tries Mr PC for Solo Double Bass

Bilbo

Another imperfect basschatter improvisation! Intonation is a bit to cock but I do love solo double bass playing (its the lack of compromise that I love). It's a Dave Holland arrangement off his One's All Cd but the solo is mine and the intonation is in the hands of the Gods. :)

Here's the link....

http://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/mr-pc-solo-bass

Mate, that really was fantastic. I could've listened to you go on for hours. Genuinely, that's possibly one of the best bits of music... let alone improv... that I've heard in a LONG time. Props to you...

The question is now... why on EARTH do you bother with electric bass?

Absolutely superb, Bilbo.

I started listening to Dave Holland after he was mentioned somewhere on Basschat a while ago - most likely by you! - and have since become a fan. This is a great version of Mr PC. I know you play professionally, so what you deem to be good playing is probably different to how I perceive it - but damn, this is good! Made me smile anyway :)

Just to clarify a point. I don't play professionally, I am what is called a semi-professional. I get paid to play but its not my main source of income (thank God...one gig in October!). As for why bother with electric... its a journey, isn't it. That's where I started because, like most of us, music was something I had to discover for myself and I had no guidance from an early age regarding listening, playing etc. So I found my own way through and got to double bass in the late 90s, messed up and returned to it in December 2009 (thanks to Jakesbass), aged 46. Thankfully, most of the musical knowledge I gleaned from the electric is entirely transferable to the double bass (a major scale is a major scale etc). I have a long way to go but the fun of learning has returned and I can practice for hours again.

Anywa, thanks for the positive comments.

Damn Rob, that was killer! Really enjoyed that, and your intonation wasn't nearly as bad as you made out. I'd really love to play more solo DB pieces, but I never have the guts to go through with it on tape.... Would you recommend One's All? Think I saw you mention it before.

'One's All' is actually more accessible than Holland's earlier solo DB cd 'Emerald Tears' which is freer. The Dave Holland/Barre Phillips duo cd is a tough nut to crack but I like hearing these things just to see whare this instrument can go on its own. Fascinating stuff.

Rocking stuff Rob - I think once you built up a head of steam it really got going after a slow start but that's all good in terms of building from nothing to something - I was just comping a long actually with some chords as I'm trying to work on my chordal language etc - it sounded cool but I could also really hear the form in what you were playing which is a compliment to the clarity of what you played.

Very good effort sir - though I have to say fretting precise 5ths on fretless as well as DB is bloody hard!

Mike

Bilbo, I thought it was lovely, it had pace, very nice phrasing that actually reminds me of what I know of your personality, Of course that might be an illusion since I knew it was you all along, but nevertheless, it has a lot of personality! I thought for the most part your intonation was as good as it's possible to be on a string bass, only the double stops were noticeably 'out' to my ears, but only by a little.

Really nice to listen to mate, thank you.

• 4 months later...