Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Smaller, less volume, good tone on the cheap - Advice needed

razze06

I am the proud owner and user of TC RH450 and a TC RS212. Excellent amp and all.

_however_

I have found that the rig is sometimes too loud and too big/heavy for certain gigs one of my bands occasionally does.
With the volume at minimum it's just about quiet enough, but it remains a little difficult to carry around and down the stairs by myself.

I really am just talking about small gigs with drummer with a relatively light touch, so I was thinking of two solutions:

- a smaller, cheaper, simpler cab that would essentially be less loud than the 2x12 (a single 15 or 12 inch?). This would be paired with the TC RH450, or maybe the HH VS Bassamp i've got at home

- a cheap, simple combo, like an ampeg BA115 or however they're called.

I don't need shimmering top end, I don't really do slap, so the main thing is nice rounded bottom end and a good thumping low mids.

I'd like to stay as close to £100 as I can, so not much room to manouver there...

Any advice/recommendation?

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1318599876' post='1404191']
Too loud on minimum volume? Perhaps you should go for an acoustic bass and at a pinch plug it straight into the P.A.
[/quote]

What I mean is that I was keeping the amp on 2 or less, so I thought that you could get away with a smaller setup for these situations.

I will have £100 or so available soon, so I was just wondering...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1318599109' post='1404178']
the RH450 is well known as a super heavy head!
just make your own tiny 1x10 cab or something
[/quote]

The RS212 is smaller and lighter than a TE 4x10, but it's not Lothian Buses friendly either...

TC RS112? Half the speakers, half the size! For the extra loud gigs you could even use both the cabs for a 3x12 set up.

Or, Barefaced Midget, not cheap, but top stuff.

As for the volume level, I find the master volume sensitive and I am in a loud band! I turn the "preset level" (accessed through Shift) to about 1/3, that makes the preset quieter which should help.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1318604805' post='1404276']
Really? I thought it was a tiny but quite powerful thing? Are you confusing it with the BH500 ?
[/quote]

I think Luke was being a little sarcastic :)
the RH450 is small and light, and definitely not a problem!

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1318606146' post='1404306']
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/eden_ex110_4ohm.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._ex110_4ohm.htm[/url]

Cheapest lil' cab I can find...
I'm sure making your own would be the best bet :)

Eude
[/quote]

where's the facebookesque "like button"?

I have an old Ashdown Electric Blue 12-150 that I no longer need, that just happens to be located in Edinburgh. Great for smaller gigs. But. I don't think it weighs anything less than the TC rs212.
Given that you've got the head already in all honesty a single 10 or 12" cab would probably be a better option, that Eden doesn't look bad at all but building one is the way forward. The choice for super-light 1x10" cabs is surprisingly limited. I've got some poplar ply on the way for this exact purpose...

I considered the idea of building one, but the lack of:

- working space to do it
- time to learn how to do it
- tools to do it

sort of put it out of the question. I'll buy someone else's home-made cab though :)

Edited by razze06

[quote name='bass_by_name' timestamp='1318928006' post='1407716']
Your sound is only as good as the weakest link and sticking a £100 cab in your signal chain is introducing a massive weak link. If your rig is really too loud spend your £100 on a DI box and go through the PA.
[/quote]

The RH450 has a very nice DI out. No need for an extra box.

I'd get a small speaker, but at £100 you may not have access to the best quality ones.

What is more important: being small or being easy to carry (light too, but not just light)?

I like the BC series of cabs from TC Electronic. I just bought a BC212 that I pair to my RS210.
Size? No, the BC212 is larger.
But, somehow, it is a lot easier to handle and carry than the RS210 (and even more so than the RS212). It is not top heavy, it is lighter (15Kg), and the handles are round and do not dig in my hands.
So, if you need a small speaker, want to take it on teh bus etc... then maybe not. But if you have transport and just want to be able to handle bass, amp and speaker easily by yourself... do consider the BC range.

I am in Edinburgh too, you are welcome to come round and check out the BC212 I've got if you like.

Thanks for all your replies. I realized that i'm probably not going to get anything truly useful for that much money. I'll wait a little longer, and start looking for a reasonable quality 1x12 cab or so.

Anyone tried the small new Eden cabs? Even the fender rumble 1x12 looks good on paper, and barefaced midget would be ideal (too expensive!)