Why become a member? ×

Fretless Fender Graphite Neck Piezo FrankenJazz

funkle

Hi all.

I have turned out to be not much of a fretless player, so I'm going to move this bass on.

I've had a fair bit of fun with it. Bought it from martthebass as Fender Mexi Jazz (?2001) with an unlined fretless Status neck; however I have made a few changes:

1. straplocks (cost: not too much)
2. added Graphtech piezo bridge saddles and a Graphtech preamp to help emulate a more 'acoustic' kind of sound, routing a place for a batery and adding a Gotoh battery compartment in the process (cost: lots!!)
3. added a sexy mirror pickguard (cost: moderate) - don't worry, I still have the original white pickguard to include with the sale
4. changed the knobs to chrome (cost: not too much)

It's in good condition and still has the original Fender Mexi Jazz pickups. It has a ding on the headstock and a couple of dings and scratches on the body. However, if you look at the photos, I'm sure you'll agree it's a very sexy bass.

Full specs as follows:

Body: Electron Blue colour, poplar
Neck: Graphite, Status, Jazz profile
Pickups: MIM
Dunlop Straplocks
Graphtech Jazz Piezo Bridge Elemements + AcoustiCell Preamp (9V)
Controls: front PU vol, rear PU vol, piezo volume (push/push pot for piezo mid boost)
Strung with TI Jazz Flats

I got it from martthebass for £400, and I've put a fair whack of money into it...more than £200....so I'm looking for £500 + shipping.

Drop me a line! Check my feedback on the feedback forum too - all good.

Pete

Edited by funkle

I can confirm this is a very nice bass (helped to build it me'self) and Pete is a more than straight up guy to deal with. Anyone who hasn't had a go with a fretless graphite neck needs to at least once in their bass playing career - sub millimetre action (joke) and almost never needs adjusting.
It's definitely originally a MIM2001 - I took the original (fretless) neck off - subsequently sold to Road Dog.
Good luck with the sale, Mart

Edited by martthebass

I'd never noticed that, but you're right. When I checked the bass, I see it only affects the E string, and sonically I've never noticed it.

I suspect it's because Fender MIM Jazzes have the neck pickup the same size as the bridge pickup - a common hazard when replacing the pickups, and one you need to be careful of, if you're considering it.

Pete

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='161972' date='Mar 22 2008, 09:00 PM']I'm looking at fretless 4s at the moment, but it'll be a week or so before the cash trickles in.

One question: Is the alignment of the pole pieces a bit off on the neck pup? It looks weird - like both pups are bridge pups?[/quote]

Edited by funkle

[quote name='funkle' post='161997' date='Mar 22 2008, 10:58 PM']I suspect it's because Fender MIM Jazzes have the neck pickup the same size as the bridge pickup - a common hazard when replacing the pickups, and one you need to be careful of, if you're considering it.

Pete[/quote]

If it's any help, I can confirm that the neck pup offset on the E was the same before the neck was changed - I also assumed it was because of the pup sizes. as far as I could tell there hadn't been any mods to the bass before I got it. It certainly didn't affect the output of the E in comparison to the other strings.

[quote name='Steve_K' post='162476' date='Mar 24 2008, 01:17 AM']What a bargain!

I would have that if I didn't have a thing against [b]P-bodies[/b] :huh:[/quote]

That's good news for you then as it's a J-body ;)

... I need to go back and check as one of us has just got out of bed :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='162526' date='Mar 24 2008, 09:01 AM']I don't think that was ever in doubt :huh:[/quote]

Indeed Chris, my thoughts exactly...... :)

As someone once said to me (when I was having a blonde day) "[i]someone needs to pop back to bass recognition school, for some revision!"[/i]

Oh yeah, that makes it just dandy :)

Pete

[quote name='Steve_K' post='162724' date='Mar 24 2008, 05:19 PM']*hides under sheets* Sorry guys!

Don't like either if that makes it any better? :huh:[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...