Why become a member? ×

Advice Required, Precision or Jazz?

leonshelley01

I need a little help. I'm looking to upgrade from an Ibanez GSR200 to a MIM Fender, but I'm a little concerned about the shape of the Fender necks. Whilst I love the "thump" of a Precision, I suspect the neck will feel like a baseball bat in my hand after a while, whereas the Jazz is probably nearer to the neck shape I prefer. I have tried both in the local shop, but 10 minutes noodling sitting down won't give me an idea of what it is like playing a 2 hour rehearsal. I tend to play classic/hard rock in the style of JPJ and Steve Harris. Any advice/thoughts gratefully recieved.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='161417' date='Mar 21 2008, 01:57 PM']I need a little help. I'm looking to upgrade from an Ibanez GSR200 to a MIM Fender, but I'm a little concerned about the shape of the Fender necks. Whilst I love the "thump" of a Precision, I suspect the neck will feel like a baseball bat in my hand after a while, whereas the Jazz is probably nearer to the neck shape I prefer. I have tried both in the local shop, but 10 minutes noodling sitting down won't give me an idea of what it is like playing a 2 hour rehearsal. I tend to play classic/hard rock in the style of JPJ and Steve Harris. Any advice/thoughts gratefully recieved.[/quote]

I think you've already answered your own question... at least partially :huh:

If you like the slim Ibanez neck, the Jazz profile will probably suit you better.

The Jazz is more versatile soundwise too, but ultimately 'it's up to you' :)

Jazz neck and p-pup...

Perhaps look for a 2nd hand Fender Jazz Special?

P-bass's with Jazz necks come up occasionally for sale on here, alternatively you could buy a p-bass body and a jazz neck from someone like All-parts and assemble your own bass (you'd have to buy electronics and wire it yourself, as well as buy hardware for it).

Then out of current models, there's the Jazz Aerodyne, but that's a love-hate relationship for most people, and I'm on the fence about mine for a number of reasons.

How about a Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz?
P/J pickups, 18V active circuit, Hipshot Detuner, USA P Pickup, Noiseless J Pickup. I play mine in a classic rock covers band and it drives the band like a P bass should with the neck pup soloed. It can't quite do the classic Jazz tone with both pickups but it comes fairly close. I picked mine up for £400 on ebay and I love it.
[url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0138700300"]More here[/url]

I don't find the Precision neck too much of a handful. It's certainly thicker than the Jazz but my hands aren't the biggest and I can handle it just fine. You could always buy a MIM Jazz second hand and then have a Precision pickup installed. I was tempted to suggest the Mark Hoppus Sig but remembered it's got a Precision neck on it. Also the scratchplate on it's pretty fugly. And it only comes in cartoon blue, pink or green. Actually thinking about it sounds sh*t.

I had a Jazz, and a Precision at the same time for about 4 years back in the early eighties.
the 'P' was Black with black scratch plate, (so fecking cool for rock) ...where the 'J' was 'blonde' and pretty, erm, ...vanilla.

However my P remained pretty much in the case that whole time.

'Nuff said!

Edited by GremlinAndy

Nice to have one of each at some point (looking to do this me'self in the next week or so). If I could only have one I'd probably go Jazz, and despite some negatives - with S1.
Regarding neck tho, I don't find my 2004 MIA P neck to be uncomfortable, It's easier than a Stingray and an 80's P I used to own so maybe there's been some changes to the profile in later years (seems shallower)? I'd play a few later MIA P's before you snub it.

[quote name='jono b' post='161506' date='Mar 21 2008, 05:31 PM']I don't find the Precision neck too much of a handful. It's certainly thicker than the Jazz but my hands aren't the biggest and I can handle it just fine. You could always buy a MIM Jazz second hand and then have a Precision pickup installed. I was tempted to suggest the Mark Hoppus Sig but remembered it's got a Precision neck on it. Also the scratchplate on it's pretty fugly. And it only comes in cartoon blue, pink or green. Actually thinking about it sounds sh*t.[/quote]

no, it stopped in pink and now comes in blue, green, black or white. (i like the white best :))
[attachment=6834:img10292992215.jpg]

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='rayfw' post='161462' date='Mar 21 2008, 03:24 PM']How about a Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz?
P/J pickups, 18V active circuit, Hipshot Detuner, USA P Pickup, Noiseless J Pickup. I play mine in a classic rock covers band and it drives the band like a P bass should with the neck pup soloed. It can't quite do the classic Jazz tone with both pickups but it comes fairly close. I picked mine up for £400 on ebay and I love it.
[url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0138700300"]More here[/url][/quote]

+1 I owned one, never should have sold it. Great bass.