Why become a member? ×

Status Series II possibly for sale...

Chris2112

Evening all,

I've decided to go and have a look at another bass which I quite fancy buying if it sounds and plays as good as it looks!

As a result, I've decided to speculatively offer my 1987 Status Graphite Series II for sale, given that if I do buy the other bass I'll have too many and I'll be breaking my promise to save for a Sierra Cosworth.

I got this a few months ago, and have enjoyed it immensely since. It's a 1987 model Series II, with a birdseye maple top, mahogany wings, with a green accent stripe and a carbon fibre neck. It is 'the real deal' as far as Status Graphite goes, a classic model in excellent condition. The only flaw with the bass is some discolouration on the brass bridge which has never bothered me to the extent that I've polished it down. It plays absolutely beautifully, and has recently been to the Status shop where Rob gave it a clean and setup. It plays absolutely beautifully, it sounds incredible and the condition is quite frankly remarkable. Having played many older Status basses over the years I am quite confident that you'd struggle to find another like this one.

The bass is also famous, appearing in this video made a previous owner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpgeSbP1Vs

[IMG]http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/three.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/FrontExt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/Frontcu.jpg[/IMG]

I would like £1000 for it, which is what I paid for it. Collection from Newcastle Upon Tyne would be preferred, though I can travel a short way to meet in the middle for a prospective buyer. I can also post it in a hard case at the buyer's expense. As has been said, I'm not certain I'll sell this yet, but if I buy the bass I'm hoping to go and see then I will. Any enquiries from persons wishing to buy will be considered and I'll get in touch as soon as possible to confirm whether or not the bass is for sale.

Thanks for looking!

Chris

Well, I hope it turns out to be special Martin! That said, I've been lucky to own loads of great basses through basschat, but the ACG is the only one I've sworn to keep forever. The other ones, as fantastic as they are, have to exist as 'floating stock' that could be traded. I just love having new toys to play with. But yes, I hope the new bass is good because this one is a fairly exceptional find, especially at the price I paid for it (and for which I am also selling it).

To me these are still the "best" and most beautiful Status basses ever..
In the eighties I didn't have the funds to buy these basses and I would travel by train from Belgium to a far city in Holland where I knew there was a music-shop which had one of these (in a glass box with "don't touch" on it !).
Finally I dared to ask if I could play it and for a brief moment I was allowed to try it out..The person in the shop wasn't the most friendly person and since those were the days before the internet you were treated like dirt since they knew they had the lucky cards in their hands..
I have owned Status basses since then (the luxury of a steady job at a police-station :-) "She came in through the bathroom window") but this model in particular still moves me...really hard to resist out of nostalgia, the great sound ànd a finger to the person in that shop in Holland.

This is definitely for sale now. The first person in the queue has been notified, we'll see how that develops, hopefully into a sale. If, for whatever reason, the the first gentleman cannot complete the sale I'll get in touch with the others on the list of people who got in touch wanting to buy it.

I've got to say Chris , this is going to be a bargin for someone .
These older ones are great , and for me , this age , proper thru neck , and this particular colour , make this for me , the best S2 you can get .

If I had a grand to spare , I'd be all over this , as I suspect would others .

Have a free bump (all I can financially do I'm afraid) , for one of the best Status examples I've seen in ages .

Just hope you don't regret selling . But hey , that's what happens one here isn't it . hehe

Best of luck mate .

This bass is now sold, to a gentleman with a famous love of Status basses. To everyone who got in touch, thanks very much. The response has been overwhelming but I have decided to sell it to the first person who could pay the full amount right away. Thanks again!

It's fair to say I've never felt so emotionally attached to a bass (aside from my ACG, which I won't sell for that reason). But boxing this one up, I was quite touched by a sadness. It's a bass that is just slightly older than me, and has been so beautifully looked after over the years. It plays so brilliantly, and sounds amazing. I am quite convinced it offers [i]the[/i] Status Graphite experience. Surely, an instrument as supreme as this in all facets must have been Rob's original intention. The proper thru neck, the two piece bridge, the quality of the woods, it all looks back on the golden age of Status basses for me. To think, that this bass has ended up in my clumsy, humble hands. The other basses coming out of the shop at that time were being sold to the biggest and best players on the planet (Mr Mark King!). I've been truely lucky to own this, something I'd always thought was a dream bass. My thoughts have now turned to a Sierra Cosworth though, and to realise that particular dream when I want to do it, sacrifices must be made. I also like having new basses through the door, so I hope the instrument that is coming will be just as inspiring as this one.

I am sure the new owner will love it though, as he has fine taste in instruments. After announcing the bass had been sold I received some messages from persons wanting to offer more. One person promptly offered me £1500 for it! It's worth every penny of that, but I am a man of my word and I know this bass will be appreciated by it's new owner. And considering the history this bass has, I couldn't ask for more.

This beauty used to be mine & incredibly - considering it has no truss rod - had the lowest 'playable' action I've ever experienced on any bass, anywhere, ever! - whoever bought it will not be diasappointed & then some!! - 'still' miss it with a passion :) !!