Why become a member? ×

First Build - Baby 1x10

gamester4520503

Hi all!

After finally realising that my 410TX is just too heavy to move about on my own, I've drawn up plans to make a smaller and lighter cab. Originally this was going to be a simple 1x10 (an Eminence Gamma 10A) in a box, but as with everything I do it seems to have grown to include a 6 inch HF driver (an Eminence LA6-CBMR) and a couple of ports. A custom crossover is in the works, and I'll post more pictures when I can, but for now here's an incomplete view of the CAD model, the WIN ISD plot and I'll get to shopping...

[attachment=90587:1.JPG]
[attachment=90588:2.JPG]
[attachment=90589:3.JPG]

To the seasoned builders out there, this is my first design from scratch, so any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

A single port is marginally more efficient and generates less turbulence than dual ports, and is easier to implement.

The benefits of a separate midrange driver are probably not that great when you are using a 10" driver and are certainly outweighed by the complexity of the crossover.

The Gamma 10 has an xmax of 1mm and is not a good choice for a bass cab. If you want cheap, go secondhand.

Tune a bit higher. Around 50Hz would be better.

@ Stevie - yeah, I would have preferred a single port, but I was having difficulty finding one the right length. I quite like how the dual ports look(!) and I don't think I'm going to get too much port velocity from this one. Of course, please correct me if I am wrong! Totally new to this. If I could get a 10 with higher xmax, then I may well use that instead. The Gamma was only £25 so I thought I would give it a go. Also, the datasheet I have shows the xmax to be closer to 2mm (perhaps a difference between the Gamma 10 and the 10A?) A first or third order crossover looks relatively simple to implement, I have a spare one from my old Peavey cab I can try and see how that sounds. I'll bump that tuning up.

@ Dave - An L pad will be put on with the midrange. Thanks for the heads up on the crossover!

Have you considered building a BFM Jack 10? A very serious 1 X 10 cab.

You can use an Eminence Deltalite II 2510 in it which has an xmax of 4.2mm.
[url="http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2510.pdf"]http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2510.pdf[/url]

Plans available from Bill Fitzmaurice:
[url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/Jack.html"]http://billfitzmaurice.com/Jack.html[/url]

I wouldn't bother with a HF driver myself, but then I'm old school. :)

I've looked at the BFMs. The designs are really awesome, but to be honest I don't think the driver I have at the moment will really do it justice. Sadly I don't have the kind of spare money to grab one of the 2510s. I'll consider doing one in the future, when I've got the funds available, as I have heard nothing but good things about them. This'll mainly be for swing and jazz playing, so the HF will hopefully give me a little more sparkle...

These are your mid range drivers not HF drivers, although lots of players are happy with how high these go and don't feel the need for a HF driver as well.

The LA6 CBMR is a closed back (ie its completely sealed) The Alpha 6 is not. So you would need to build a sealed enclosure for the Alpha if you buy that one, and you would be taking away cab volume. Both would work well but I would opt for the LA6 CBMR out of those two.

Dave

Thanks again Dave.

Just about to order crossover components - aiming for a crossover frequency of about 1200Hz with a couple of second orders. The wood has been cut to size, just need to get everything fitted. Can anyone recommend a good place to get speakers from? The LA6 CBMR is about £50 online, just want to see what other options are out there.

[quote name='gamester4520503' timestamp='1318342442' post='1400847']
Thanks again Dave.

Just about to order crossover components - aiming for a crossover frequency of about 1200Hz with a couple of second orders. The wood has been cut to size, just need to get everything fitted. Can anyone recommend a good place to get speakers from? The LA6 CBMR is about £50 online, just want to see what other options are out there.
[/quote]

Lean Business are normally pretty competitive, and fast in my experience. They've got the LA6 at £45, dunno about shipping though. http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/eminence-la6-cbmr-8ohm-6-150watt-mid-range-speaker-p-754.html

[quote name='gamester4520503' timestamp='1319036115' post='1409169']
After a day of building, the cab is playable. Sounds quite good to my ears as well! The only issue with it is possibly the weight - this will happily vibrate about the floor when played loud enough. Needs some form of finishing, but apart from that it's done!
[/quote]

That's geat work! Vibrating is more about insufficient stiffness than weight per se...might be worth sticking a bit more bracing in there.