Why become a member? ×

Krist Novoselic Signature model

ojplaysbass

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1317732982' post='1393807']
Would it have been so difficult to get the headstock right? They've just cobbled on the one on the current SG bass.

I won't mention the pickups.

A missed opportunity to properly reissue a classic and sought after instrument.
[/quote]

Or the sh*te bridge?

When I googled this the oth
[quote name='charic' timestamp='1317741548' post='1393981']
I thought the bridge looked quite cool :)
[/quote]

When I googled this yesterday, I thought I'd spied it with the three-point bridge - which, yes, does look cool; but is a bit of a dog!

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1317641712' post='1392537']
Didn't Krist play an Ibanez / "Antoria" "Black Eagle" much more than any of the gibsons?
[/quote]

I always thought his main stage and studio bass was a Ripper? He did chop and change a bit but the Ripper was pretty constant.

I really like the look of the RD sig, just a bit of an odd choice. Does anybody know whether it's actually Krist's spec or are Gibson just using his name to cash in? Him speccing it would explain the odd choices regarding shape and pickups.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1317505132' post='1391450']

Ah I didnt know it was an Ibby. they made out the Gibson was the only bass he used.[/quote]

It's the Entwistle effect :)

I WILL be getting this bass though, even if I have to sell most my stuff lol
I'm not a die hard Nirvana fan but going back to my roots, he's one of few who did get me playing.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1317511946' post='1391501']
Good luck finding a black eagle. I've never seen one in the flesh, or for sale, not many were made I don't think. Im an eagle lover too!
I dont understand the pickup choice though, krist was all about proper Gibson buckers as per the ripper and RD basses. Also surprised it's not a ripper shape. Not that I'm not stoked that it's an RD!
[/quote]
POS basses. Seriously. Some of us are old enough to remember playing them when they were new and they were planks. Honestly, if someone in an indie/goth/metal band started playing a Steinberger XL2A, I [s]swear[/s] hope the prices would double. A fool and his money...

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1317748589' post='1394131']
Yes, the three point bridge does suck. No individual string height adjustment means that it's functionally less capable than an old 4 saddle Fender bridge. If it bugs you, get a Hipshot Supertone.
[/quote]

Agreed, and valid point.

The three point sucks if you want to do on the fly adjustments, but if you're willing to put a bit of time in, with some fine round files, you can get the three point playing as well as any bridge. Spent an hour or so on my '76 Thunderbird a few weeks back, getting the saddle to properly match the radius of the board, and it plays like a dream now.

The bridge on an EB2 on the other hand.......That SUCKS! :)

The thing that annoyed me most about the 3 point bridge on my RD Artist was just how flimsy the whole assembly was when the bass wasn't strung up. Having to put a bit of work in to get it playing well isn't a big deal, after all most basses have bridges that are a compromise, it was the fact that the saddles had a habit of falling off if you broke a string and having to be really careful in case any of the bridge posts were accidentally adjusted that wound me up.

Krist used these and rippers mostly, he's a big fan of Gibsons. That said I think this is very overpriced. The main reason they used these instruments is because they found them cheap in pawn shops. Theres a video of Krist explaining that Kurt was happy because he got his 69 mustang cheap from a student I think - he used it in the teen spirit video and live a lot.

Anyhoo, it's probably a better investment to buy a vintage RD. Gibson isn't great these days in design and quality control aspects, check out the 'firebird x' :) . If you want this due to the changes then go ahead but there's probably far better bang for buck bass' out there.

• 4 weeks later...

There you go, fill yer boots :)

[url="http://www.flyguitars.com/graphics/RDartist_circuit_diagram.gif"]http://www.flyguitars.com/graphics/RDartist_circuit_diagram.gif[/url]

I doubt they'll go for it though, those Moog modes are bonkers - the compression one in particular!