Why become a member? ×

Bass Finishes (2 parts)

clarkpegasus4001

This question is really in two parts, and i'm taking bass BODY finishes here:
Do you prefer a satin finish, cellulose or other type of finish on your basses? advantages and disadvantages please!
Another question is how do you clean satin/oil basses? do they scratch/wear more easily than other finishes? Cheers

Always Satin Nitrocellulose for me! I would have every one of my basses refinished this way if I could afford to. They say there's something about nitro which allows wood to 'breathe' or something, but for me, I just love the way the paintwork ages.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1317108355' post='1386682']
I don't honestly care once it sounds good to start off with. I've got poly, nitro, oil and wax finished instruments and, to be honest, I don't think any one is "better" than the other, tonally or aesthetically.
[/quote]

Do you find the oil and waxed one's easy to clean? what do you use and do they scratch easily?

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1317108355' post='1386682']
I don't honestly care once it sounds good to start off with. I've got poly, nitro, oil and wax finished instruments and, to be honest, I don't think any one is "better" than the other, tonally or aesthetically.
[/quote]

This is how it is... looks 49.999%, tone 49.999%, what the finish is 0.002%

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1317129719' post='1387099']

Do you find the oil and waxed one's easy to clean? what do you use and do they scratch easily?
[/quote]

I'm just working on my first oiled finish bass. As long as you use enough oil, the finish has depth and "damage" has less of an effect (5 coats for me). Cleaning isn't too much of an issue either - it's a wood finish, can be reoiled, or cleaned with proprietary cleaners, thinners and vinegar (apparently!).

I stripped the poly off my 20+ year old bass (had more chips than the golden fryer) & refinished the wood in oil & wax. Looks better than ever IMO, although it wouldn't have suited me 20 years ago.

I gave it about 20 coats of Danish & then a couple of coats of wax. Cleaning it is just the same as cleaning any other bass. :)