Why become a member? ×

GOLD PAISLEY FENDER PRECISION/TELE BASS

H the Bass

OK Heres the one i swore i would never sell this was made by Fender Japan for Maidens late 90's tour of Japan made using the finest woods available and custom shop hardware this looks and plays like a dream once again because of my circumstances no paper work but Rick Szabo of new kings road vintage guitars acted as broker between myself and Steves guitar tech ! looking for around a grand complete with case i dont think this one will hang around long plays like a dream with low action and the most beautiful figured neck telephone 07964176270

I think the Japanese custom shop is mostly non-export and on a smaller scale to the American one. Off the top of my head they did a run of Keith Richards, Jerry Donahue and John Jorgenson guitars over the years. They also do your typical variations on the J and P bass models.

Getting back on topic this bass is a must have for Maiden fans. You will not get something like this for so little money. Finding a picture of Harris with it would be a lovely little bonus.

Really nice Bass . . . . . .

To my knowledge, whilst Fender Japan do indeed make "custom limited runs", as described earlier, I dont think they have a formalised "Custom Shp" like the one in the states. If anyone knows differently then they ought to start a new thread on the subject as I'd be very interested to hear about it ?

Getting back to this lovely bass, this does look like a "one off" and rare example of Fender Japans craftsmanship. Im not personally into the maiden thing, but just wanted to chip in, that I have several made in or crafted in Japan guitars in my arsenal as listed below, and I can only say that the build quality of all of them is amazingly good . . . so this ones definately gonna be worth getting if you are looking for a quality collectable bass that will also be a joy to play.

Good luck with your sale H, if I had the dosh I'd really be interested !

Thanx as stated earlier this was made by Fender Japan as a 1 off special for maidens tour there and rick szabo of new kings road vintage guitars will confirm this Steve Harris apparently played this on a couple of tracks though i dont know which to be honest just repeating what i was told but didnt think it fitted his image so his guitar tech ended up with it and sold it to me .

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1316633316' post='1380774']
I might be a complete divvy... but I've only just seen the pics of the neck plate and the back of the headstock and I wasn't aware there was such a thing as 'Custom Shop Japan'! What's the story?
[/quote]
calm down young man youll' do yourself an injury lol

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1316670999' post='1381120']
So are the stamp and plate after-market add ons?
[/quote]
Fair enough that CS hardware was used (would have thought that any CS worth it's salt would have lined up the tuners better imho (mine does) - maybe it's more authentic like that? - anyway...) but that CS logo certainly needs a bit more explaining. Presumably it is subdermal?

H, you've not come across any Geezer Butler gear in your time have you? You've got Lemmy's amp Steve Harris' bass. I'd love a Geezer bass. :)

ha ha nice one i bought it like it is the paisley one so idont know wether things were added or not? as i bought it off Steves gutar tech i wouldn't have thought so but i cant say however it is a fantastic bass and if someone wants it they better be quick cos ive only gigged it at my daughters birthday party who is now going apeshit that i am selling it lol

I used to own Jerry Donahue's original serial number #0001 Strat. It had a 'crafted in Japan' neckplate but Jerry told me much of the work was actually carried out at the USA Custom Shop. It didn't carry a CS logo on the headstock though.

Either way it was superbly built and finished, still regretting that I ever sold it to a mate of mine who was an immeasurably better guitarist than I.

This bass looks great, always fancied a Paisley Tele and definitely never seen one in this colour before :)

[quote name='H the Bass' timestamp='1316686469' post='1381329']
ha ha nice one i bought it like it is the paisley one so idont know wether things were added or not? as i bought it off Steves gutar tech i wouldn't have thought so but i cant say however it is a fantastic bass and if someone wants it they better be quick cos ive only gigged it at my daughters birthday party who is now going apeshit that i am selling it lol
[/quote]
I'll be honest and I'm after a Paisley bass but I don't actually want to pay the premium for a 'star' bass, I'd be happier if it was a straight-forward CIJ bass owned by Joe Bloggs. If there was concrete evidence that it was owned by SH then I might have had a punt and the provenance might have future proofed its value and NKR Vintage aren't my idea of 'proof' (not wishing to disparage your contact but NKR haven't got a great track record if you search threads on BC). Likewise the 'CS' matter; the USA 'CS' tatoo on the back of the headstock and the engraved plate are incongrous with the CIJ tatoo on the heel of the neck and something I've neither seen nor heard of in my life... not to say that I haven't seen plenty of CS logos on non-CS basses! :)

If you have a Paisley bass owned by Joe Bloggs I'll be interested. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1316537576' post='1379409']
I like... but not £1000 worth of like unfortunately! :)
[/quote]

Any issues with the value of the instrument should be discussed via PM, or, if its just thinking out loud, not at all. Please don't hamper the sellers chance of getting a sale on what is frankly a VERY nice, and not particularly common instrument.

You've made a number of comments that are not positive towards the bass, but more importantly earlier on in the thread stated it wasn't for you. I'd suggest therefore that this is left to be a sales thread.

Cheers

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1316702033' post='1381696']

Any issues with the value of the instrument should be discussed via PM, or, if its just thinking out loud, not at all. Please don't hamper the sellers chance of getting a sale on what is frankly a VERY nice, and not particularly common instrument.

You've made a number of comments that are not positive towards the bass, but more importantly earlier on in the thread stated it wasn't for you. I'd suggest therefore that this is left to be a sales thread.

Cheers

Shep
[/quote]
I would disagree with your view on my comments re. the bass Shep. I am and have since the start of the thread asked questions to ascertain what exactly this bass is, due to the fact that i am looking for a Paisley bass (search the forum and you'll find I've made several requests for such a bass). I have some knowledge of bass guitars and this model in particular and I have quite frankly never seen a CIJ bass with a 'Custom Shop' logo on the back of the headstock. Surely I have the right to query the seller to ascertain the 'facts' or the authenticity of the bass! If these cannot be answered satisfactorally, you have construed them as not being positive toward the bass...that is hardly my fault.