Why become a member? ×

Drum machines?

disraeligears

Basicaly I was wondering how people actually used them, what context and so on, I'm looking into getting one for practice and writing and was wondering if anyone had any advice. Sorry I know this isn't exactly a bass guitar post but it links into gear and practice and stuff like that so I thought I should put it in this bit of the forum... Oh any, repliers, if there are any, could you please put down what machine/s you have if you do use a drum machine
Thanks

i use one mainly for practising along to, although will probably use it in the 3-piece instrumental band, so the drummer can switch to guitar occasionally.

it's an Alesis SR-16. great sounds and plenty of scope, although step editing can be tiresome. they go for £40-£50 used.

otherwise, use software if you've got a convenient laptop as a less limiting portable solution.

Another SR-16 here.
I also have a couple of Yamaha PSR keyboards whose built-in drum patterns are not too sad plus if need be I can program chord/backing tracks direct.
As has also been said, there are a bunch of decent online and downloadable drum machines too.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1369850' date='Sep 11 2011, 08:50 PM']I often use my Zoom! drum machine when I'm practising. It's very easy to use and sounds good. I've used it for rehearsals too when the drummer has been unavailable. In those situations I'll use just program a pattern and let it run and we'll improvise over it.[/quote]

+1 for a zoom. I have a [url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/b21u/"]B2.1u [/url] which I just got last week from a fellow basschatter, and its brilliant. Lots of effects (some editable) [i]and [/i]a pedal [i]and[/i] a tuner [i]and[/i] a drum machine. Also its solid metal, not placcy.

edit: I have just given it another early morning whirl at 8:20 am . I think some of the schoolkids walking to their daily grind, were entertained as i vamped on the Alice Cooper track. [i][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBEcLxnXVAc&feature=related"]Schools out[/url][/i], over a basic drum track. Just realized it was the wrong time of day for that tune though, DOH! ( not that any of them would have recognized it) :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1369719' date='Sep 11 2011, 07:22 PM']Alesis SR-16 user here, I only use it for jamming along with which it's perfect for as there is no waiting for computers to load up etc, just switch it on, choose a preset and get jamming :)[/quote]

Ditto, on all points.

I've also used it for band rehearsal when the drummer couldn't turn up and for a click-track when recording.

I use it with a pair of footswitches which allows on/off and 'fill' control and I've heard of people using it for live performances.

Seems to be far more capable than my modest needs.

Guest bassman7755

Try and auto arrangement program like "Band in a box" or my personal favourite "Jammer pro"
[url="http://www.soundtrek.com/content/index.php"]http://www.soundtrek.com/content/index.php[/url]
which generates extremely realistic drum tracks - lots of subtle various and very human sounding.

I use drum machines regularly, mainly for recording.

Probably the best bang-for-buck is the Alesis SR-16 (I've had three in the past, along with its successor, the improved SR-18). The best one I've owned was the Boss DR-880, which featured an input for guitar/bass and a stack of Boss FX/amp models in there, but it was the drum machine interface and programming options where it excelled.

I only have a Roland TR-505 at the moment, but have owned the following over the years, most of which can be had cheaply!

Boss DR-550MKII
Boss DR-660
Roland TR-626
Korg Electribe ER-1 MKI