Why become a member? ×

I've been liberated.

Benplaysbass

I had a Samson Airline, it just seemed to be more things that need to be checked before playing. I was always catching the pad switch on the bug and for some reason it was always the last thing I thought of as the reason for my loss of volume. I think there was also a gain control on the receiver which got knocked out of place in transit. I decided I can cope with the knobs on my amp and the bass, but any more than that is too much for my feeble brain.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1366702' date='Sep 8 2011, 05:28 PM']I so desperately want to go wireless, and have done for many years. I hate all that spaghetti around my feet.

I've tried a few systems over the years, and IMO not one sounds as good as a cable. There's just something about a cable that sounds better. Technology moves on, so maybe it's time to try again!

Funnily enough Steve Lukather (I know he's not a bass player) has been wireless since I can remember... until this year. He's now ditched his wireless for a cable. :)

If you're happy with the sound and you don't get tied up in cable, then I envy you...I really do! :)

EDIT: I should add that I haven't tried a Line 6 relay G30 - maybe I'll check one out.[/quote]

I also use one... I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
When I compare it to cable, there is no significant difference... no dropouts, interference... very happy user, me.

[quote name='Benplaysbass' post='1373615' date='Sep 14 2011, 07:39 PM']Well we played a birthday gig in the garden last night, so had to have a wander to check things out. It kept working up to its claimed 100ft. There was a slight latency at that range but as I have read elsewhere thats the sound getting back to my ears not the signal from my wireless to amp. Really loving it, a good buy.[/quote]

I noticed the latency too when I first got it and I was testing its range (which, as you found out, is not exaggerated in the reported specs). Sound does not travel all that fast in air (and if outdoors with wind, you can get much more noticeable latency effects). If your amp has a visible signal indicator such that you can see at distance when there's signal going into it, you can verify that. Or do a quick calculation for the expected delay at the distance you are at, then set your delay pedal to that value... I'm personally convinced there is no significant delay with the G30.

I could see the receiver sitting on the top of my amp from when I was up the garden, I could see the light flash as I was hitting the strings. So as far as I am concerned there is no delay in the signal from the G30 its the sound getting back to your ears. I'm never going to be that far from my amp anyway when playing live, just love the freedom and not tripping up over my wires. Just have to convince the rest of the band to tidy up their act.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone is following this thread anymore (least of all G30 users), but I have one coming and I'd like to use a different bass>transmitter cable (I favour right-angled jacks out of the bass). What's a comfortable cable length and I'll get an order in with our very own OBBM.

Cheers
Paul

Been using a Samson 'bug' type for years on and off, only had problems with interfering external signals on 2 gigs, both spotted at soundcheck and just didn't use it. I started using one as I was playing midi pedals more and more and the lead from the bass seemed to be constantly getting trapped under a pedal or in the way of my feet as I was attempting to switch patches so I went wireless purely from a practical necessity. There is a bit of accompanying low level 'white noise' when you play with one but you can't hear it at gigging volume, only if you really listen close up at bedroom practice level. Being able to nip out front at soundcheck and double check the mix is handy too.

Not wanting to side track this thread as I use wireless myself. Just thought it would be an appropriate place to highlight that our "leaders on high" have changed / are changing the regulations on wireless gear - apparently to be able to give us more shopping channels on digital TV....whoopee! :)

Wireless channel frequency availability is changing with some systems now requiring a yearly licence (£75-ish dependent on what you have / need). Luckily mine seems to be OK as it will work in the small 863 to 865 UHF range that doesnt need a licence (yet!!!)

Anyway I'm no expert so heres some links that might help

[url="http://www.jfmg.co.uk/index.htm"]http://www.jfmg.co.uk/index.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.shure.co.uk/support_download/frequencies"]http://www.shure.co.uk/support_download/frequencies[/url]
[url="http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/index.php?page_id=1036"]http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/index.php?page_id=1036[/url]

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1318772434' post='1405991']
Don't know if anyone is following this thread anymore (least of all G30 users), but I have one coming and I'd like to use a different bass>transmitter cable (I favour right-angled jacks out of the bass). What's a comfortable cable length and I'll get an order in with our very own OBBM.

Cheers
Paul
[/quote]

Like you, i prefer right angled jacks. Depending on how high on the strap you'll wear the transmitter, i'd recommend 1m or so. The output socket on the transmitter is on the bottom of the G30 unit when worn on a strap.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1315604983' post='1368154']
Has anyone else experienced the wireless jamming phenomenon? I'm strongly considering a g30 but I don't want to get myself lynched every time i use it
[/quote]

this is the main reason that a lot of toursound companies won't go down the digital route....... There's a big debate over on the Blueroom forum about this issue where Line6 demo'd 12 channels of the system in a venue but completely took out the network system and the FOH tech couldn't use his remote eq system. So I don't expect to see this in the 'Pro' world till they get it sorted.....

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1318772434' post='1405991']

Cheers
Paul
[/quote]

i actually use quite a short one with my AKG so my transmitter sits just up from the strap lock. Ive got two of OBBM's, both right angled, but i found having the transmitter sitting further up the strap, against my back, felt uncomfortable. I also use mine upside down so the lead exits from the bottom.

• 5 months later...

I was wireless back in the 80s , i didnt think that much of it back then as always seemed to be getting crackle coming through and was forever recharging batteries , things must ohave got better since then though!

I bought a Line6 G30 last month, first practice with it today-delighted. Stuffed if I can hear any difference. Only quibble is the battery compartment door, which seems a bit hard to lock. Not sure what the difference is between the G30 and the G50 and G90-as I couldn't afford them I never looked into it! Only trouble is I'm more likely to be somewhere else on stage when I should be at the mike!

The G50 has more channels - 12, instead of the 6 for the G30.

Also, the G50's transmitter is made of metal, while for the G30 it's plastic. They use a different connector too for the short cable to the bass, don't know what difference that would make though.

I'm a G50 user - and I think it's the best bit of kit I've ever bought. Bonus is it happily takes a Boss-type power supply so it's ideal for my pedal board.

Edit: the G90 has a much bigger receiver - could be for rackmount, but I'm not sure.

Edited by aldude

I did my first gig in a few years without my wireless set up last week and it felt strange. I couldn't get out front to help with the sound check and i hated how my lead kept touching my leg (no, not the end of the world but i didnt like it) and i kept standing on it.
I find one AA battery gets me through a 3 hour gig, but only if its charged up before hand :rolleyes:

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1332493154' post='1588966']
The G50 has more channels - 12, instead of the 6 for the G30.

Also, the G50's transmitter is made of metal, while for the G30 it's plastic. They use a different connector too for the short cable to the bass, don't know what difference that would make though.

I'm a G50 user - and I think it's the best bit of kit I've ever bought. Bonus is it happily takes a Boss-type power supply so it's ideal for my pedal board.

Edit: the G90 has a much bigger receiver - could be for rackmount, but I'm not sure.
[/quote]

Yep, the G90 is a rackmount reciever. I'm going for the G50 myself (When i can afford it) and it's going to get stuck on my pedalboard (When i can afford that too) so i want the metal casing over the plastic of the G30. Hopefully wont be too long till i can, always scouting around for a used one on here too.

Liam

I normally keep one or two Eneloop's in my gig bag and take a freshly charged 2900mAH rechargeable or two to each gig. I find i can get two long gigs out of each but i tend to always charge before the gig (excerpt this one time)
Unfortunately my son got some night vision goggles for Christmas and had been using my batteries without telling me so all were dead.