Why become a member? ×

I've been liberated.

Benplaysbass

I'm now a free man, just moved into the realms of wireless playing. No more wires round my feet. After lots of reading on here and everyones reviews and opinions I went for the Line 6 relay G30. Seems a good bit of kit so far. Now looking into rack mounted effects and gear. Just need to keep my space free of clutter, might be a bit of an ocd thing coming on.

Nice one, welcome to the club.
Ive been doing this for a few years now. While i dont move around much (at all most of the time) its nice to not feel cable around my feet, especially on smaller stages. It also great being able to go out front during sound checks.
I stopped using FX etc at about the same time as i didnt want any cables on the floor, although i do have a BDDI sitting on my amp.

I so desperately want to go wireless, and have done for many years. I hate all that spaghetti around my feet.

I've tried a few systems over the years, and IMO not one sounds as good as a cable. There's just something about a cable that sounds better. Technology moves on, so maybe it's time to try again!

Funnily enough Steve Lukather (I know he's not a bass player) has been wireless since I can remember... until this year. He's now ditched his wireless for a cable. :)

If you're happy with the sound and you don't get tied up in cable, then I envy you...I really do! :)

EDIT: I should add that I haven't tried a Line 6 relay G30 - maybe I'll check one out.

Edited by SteveK

I'll not get it no the cable/no cable and what sounds better argument but ive never noticed my AKG wireless systems to affect my tone at all, certainly not at gigs but then i dont go through a large PA most of the time so maybe its just not showing up.
For me thats what counts. im sure i might hear a difference at home but once the band are all fired its all good.
In fact i cant remember the last bass i had that i used a lead with so to me its just normal to use a wireless system.

Not for everyone though.

I'm liking the freedom at the moment and so far haven't really noticed any difference in tone. I'm thinking of going a different route with the effects too. Only really use the amp sim on the zoom pedal to give it a bit of valve sound so might look out for something that will sit on top of the amp out of the way.

Two AKG SR40 systems. Why two? I have no idea what frequency our singer's radio mic is so bought both off Jamesemt for 80 quid. They're fixed frequency hence the caution - I'll sell one once I am confident I have a unit which won't interfere :)

There's a very very slight distortion vs a cable but that may just be a new battery required in the bug, will see. I only noticed this as I had an opportunity to A/B at low volume at home but on a gig it absolutely won't be noticeable.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1366930' date='Sep 8 2011, 08:32 PM']Ive had a AKG Bug thing for a few years that I use with my occasional band and a AKG wms400 pro ( I think) for my main band.
The range is t great but it's enough for me to walk ateast 15-20 foot from the stage.[/quote]
Cool, cheers. I want mine for much the same reason you have yours do hopefully I'm onto a winner :)

[quote name='Merton' post='1366941' date='Sep 8 2011, 08:37 PM']Cool, cheers. I want mine for much the same reason you have yours do hopefully I'm onto a winner :)[/quote]

The only time ive had freq problems was with the Bug system clashing with the wedding video crew's radio mics but they turned them off.

For me the smaller the stage the more i appreciate not having to stand on cables etc, but its also nice on the bigger stages, especially if i have to do our sound from the other side of the side.

I do prefer my main system as the display and lights give me more feedback as to signal strength and batter life.

Think I have just found a problem with this G30 relay, nothing major and it won't trouble me when playing live. But using it upstairs and went to find a track on youtube that I need to learn for next week.........and no wifi signal on computer...weird me thinks, check the Ipod no nothing on there either. Ask the good lady if she still has the internet and nothing on her laptop. Switch the G30 off and they all come back on again. So great bit of kit with no noticeable loss of tone and also does a fantastic job of being a wireless jammer. Still keeping it though.

[quote name='Benplaysbass' post='1368146' date='Sep 9 2011, 10:30 PM']Think I have just found a problem with this G30 relay, nothing major and it won't trouble me when playing live. But using it upstairs and went to find a track on youtube that I need to learn for next week.........and no wifi signal on computer...weird me thinks, check the Ipod no nothing on there either. Ask the good lady if she still has the internet and nothing on her laptop. Switch the G30 off and they all come back on again. So great bit of kit with no noticeable loss of tone and also does a fantastic job of being a wireless jammer. Still keeping it though.[/quote]

Ben the unit has 6 channels, if it jams the wireless internet on CH 1 for example, switch to the next channel. I find it a bit of a rare freak accident, we are all on wireless here and I've tried all 6 channels and none of them interrupted the broadband wilreless connection. I blame it on the french haha.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1367093' date='Sep 8 2011, 10:26 PM']Have been wireless for many years now. Never had any noticeable difference in sound compared to quality cables. No going back :)[/quote]

This. I use a Samson Airline system (it's been superceded since), and although it's a single frequency job, I've not had any insurmountable problems.

You lot get to move around? We played the smallest stage last night, more of a 'minstrel's gallery' above the bar. I got elbowed when the singer got kinetic and then felt the tiny patter of drums sticks in the back. Towards the end of the set I experimented with a semi-al-fresco 'almost out on the fire escape in the rain' position. Could have managed with a 1 metre lead!

On a plus side everyone said we sounded great, seems the hall acoustics and PA did us alright.

Well we played a birthday gig in the garden last night, so had to have a wander to check things out. It kept working up to its claimed 100ft. There was a slight latency at that range but as I have read elsewhere thats the sound getting back to my ears not the signal from my wireless to amp. Really loving it, a good buy.