Why become a member? ×

Bongo MM

ThomBassmonkey

I got one a couple of weeks ago from here and I just have to say wow. I've been in the studio with it all week and it sounds beautiful. It has just enough of everything. It's so fat but so defined, so much punch. It somehow manages to have enough growl that it meats out heavy sections but still sounds smooth in quiet parts. It sounded so good in rough takes straight into the desk we didn't even really touch it pre production, just nudged the bass up a tiny bit on the bass's pre and went straight in.

I've been bricking it about selling my precious Sandberg Custom, but I know I've definitely made the right move now.

It might look a bit odd (all down to taste), but it's just so nice in every other sense.

Now I just need some new strings for it so I can give it the anger it deserves at a gig.

Of course now that I'm feeling confident I'm amp and bass GAS-free, I am feeling a tingle every time I look at Soundblox pedals....

Sorry for gushing, it's been a long week of 12 hour days in the studio, I thought I'd share my glee at how my new bass is working out. :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

My mate got a stealth one several years ago. Sounded fantastic and had a lovely feel to the neck as well. Seriously powerful tone and a quality eq. I was tempted to get one myself but wasn't sold 100% on the looks of it - love the headstock but not the body.

If I had sh*t loads of cash and could afford a whole herd of basses I'd deffo have one.

I have one I'll be selling very soon. There are so many things about it I like, the look for one, but alas I can't get used to the feel of it (and as nipper number 1 is 3 months away and I have too many basses it classes as low hanging fruit). Also I'm a set and forget kind of guy at heart so the 4 band EQ is entirely lost on me. But I can totally understand the gushing...

I've just got one in a trade and like the range of tones it gives me but I need a bit of advice

It's been set up with a really low action which is fine but the action at the neck end on the 2nd /3rd fret is so low that I'm getting some fret buzz, particaularly from open strings.

Looks like it's stringed 45-105 but it maybe lighter but the strings sit really really low in the bridge

I don't want to fiddle too much and i like the action so wondered of moving to 50-110 would sort out the issue

any suggestions ?

[quote name='mikegatward' post='1367799' date='Sep 9 2011, 04:11 PM']I've just got one in a trade and like the range of tones it gives me but I need a bit of advice

It's been set up with a really low action which is fine but the action at the neck end on the 2nd /3rd fret is so low that I'm getting some fret buzz, particaularly from open strings.

Looks like it's stringed 45-105 but it maybe lighter but the strings sit really really low in the bridge

I don't want to fiddle too much and i like the action so wondered of moving to 50-110 would sort out the issue

any suggestions ?[/quote]

One of the easiest fix on the Bongo is to adjust the trussrod. Give it a quarter turn and it'll do the trick, you need to have a little bit more relief as in the attached pic

Top tip number 2...

Set the gap betweeen bridge pickup and bottom of B string to 4.5mm and G string to 3.5mm

Set the gap between neck pickup and bottom of B string to 6.5mm and G string to to 5.5mm

These are the factory settings (apart from the slight angle to boost the top strings) and make the EQ and Pickup Pan work as it should and also you don't end up driving the crap out of the front end of whatever amp you use once you turn the volume above 50% on the bass

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1368229' date='Sep 10 2011, 06:46 AM']One of the easiest fix on the Bongo is to adjust the trussrod. Give it a quarter turn and it'll do the trick, you need to have a little bit more relief as in the attached pic[/quote]

My ACG has the same feature, what a great idea it is too! That said, I've never adjusted the truss rod in it because it's very stable, even when changing strings. But what a marvellous place to have it!

I slapped some thicker strings on it just before heading out to a gig last night and forgot my tool kit so it played like a bow and arrow. :) Lots of people that have seen my band loads of times commented on how good my bass sounded last night.

It really sums up what I want from a bass tone, I've already got my GK rigs which are the perfect mix of beef, growl and clarity, now I've got a bass that matches, I'm chuffed. The Ray is an awesome bass too, slightly more agressive and less beefy than the Bongo. I love them both.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1368369' date='Sep 10 2011, 10:44 AM']I think the truss rod wheel is one of the best innovations on the EBMM basses.[/quote]

Agreed.
Sold my 'Ray5 fretless, bought a Warwick Fortress Masterman 5 (fretted) instead. It was a nice bass, but I don't really miss it.
Not entirely sure that the 'Ray5 is a good bass to have as a fretless.
I've liked all the Bongos I've played- Even the EQ. I wouldn't have an "H", and would probably prefer "H/H" to "H/S"
I'm not normally bothered by aesthetics, but in the case of the Big Al, I'll make an exception. I'd get a Reflex (or whatever they're called) instead.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1369202' date='Sep 11 2011, 10:51 AM']Why not?[/quote]
I'm beginning to think that single pick-up basses are better as fretted instruments. I could never dial in a tone I really liked.
Maybe I shoulld've tried flats on ot rather than rounds.
I got on fine with a MIM fretless jazz I tried once. Tinkered with the controls and got it to sing properly. The 'Ray 5 never did that, an the single-coil setting was utterly useless- it was a 1990- so no phantom coil in the pick-up, and that made it noise-prone. It also sounded too thin. Series was too much the other way, but was alright if you played up by the back of the neck.
Parallel was best. I nearly bought a (fretted) Status neck for it, but it was too much hassle and quite expensive.

I recently bought a Bongo6 MM off a fellow basschatter and I agree with the OP - fantastic sound and an EQ that I find really useful I.e. very easy to understand and to tweak on the fly. My Status S2 is more comfortable (and lighter i think) but I am loving the massive sound you get from a Bongo, it simply seems to sit in the mix effortlessly.