Why become a member? ×

FS: Bitsa 70/80's Precision NOW BEING PARTED OUT (Badass, 62RI pups etc)

Beedster

Well, if these sell it will be the first time in several years that I will be Precisionless. Whilst I certainly haven't turned completely to the Dark Side, I'm playing three things more than Precisions now, Rics, of which i'm fortunate to own two of the nicest examples, double bass, and, well, guitar...

So, much as I'd like to keep these as both are great instruments, I've decided to cut the Precision cord!

Right, first the bad stuff

1. Neither is an all-original instrument. That is, whilst both necks and both bodies are original vintage Fender, both instruments have been put together by me.
2. Both are heavy, in the region of 10lbs. They are not for the low testosteroned among us. Having said that, both sit very well, taking a lot of strain off the left arm and shoulder.
3. Both are pretty beaten-up. Did I say 'beaten-up'? I of course meant to say both are fine examples of Roadworn Relics in the best tradition of 21st Century Fender craftsmanship. I am confident that the finish on the fretted is original, less so regarding the fretless.

Right, the good stuff.

First up is a gorgeous fretless; authentic '78 Fender ash body, natural finish, with authentic '79 neck. The body has a lovely grain and has worn very nicely. The unlined maple board was recently refinished by Martin Simms and he did a truly great job, not only giving the neck many more years of use, but seamlessly blending the new finish on the board with the original finish on the headstock and the back of the neck. This has an SD Antiquity PUP bought new earlier this year, chrome PUP cover, a Badass II, Hipshot Vintage tuners (reverse gears), aftermarket tort pickguard and Schaller straplock buttons. It's a very nice bass indeed.

Second up is an authentic '79 Fender ash body, natural finish, with early-mid '80s Fender Japan (MIJ) neck. Original finish on the body and it has a lovely grain. The neck is in great condition for a 30 year old, has a lovely dark rosewood board and feels like a classic MIA/MIJ '62RI (although I'm not sure to which model it was originally attached). This bass also has a Badass II, MIA 62RI PUPs, chrome PUP cover, Gotoh FB3 tuners, aftermarket tort or black pickguard, and Schaller strap-lock buttons. This is also a pretty nice bass.

I will post pics ASAP but my plans of taking some this evening were compromised by LoTR-type dark and ominous thunderclouds over Canterbury, so I've sorted through some old pics on BC and elsewhere and here's the links:

I originally sold both necks to Greg (Shaggy), who sourced the body of the fretted. His subsequent FS listing is at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=110405&hl="]http://basschat.co.u...opic=110405&hl=[/url]. Here you can see both necks and the body of the fretted.

I bought the body for the fretless from Bassybill, link and pics are here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145503&hl="]http://basschat.co.u...opic=145503&hl=[/url]

Collection from Canterbury/Rochester preferred, delivery meet-up in SE/London always a possibility, and postage/courier done albeit grumpily and at buyer's expense

£675 each seems a fair price for these. I'm open to trades with 'interesting' instruments also (ideally acoustic and not basses though I'm afraid. Resonators and Mandolins seem to be drawing me at present, whilst a decent large acoustic guitar to sit alongside my shallow-bowl Ovation would be cool also).

That's all I think

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='martthebass' post='1364491' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:34 PM']Chris will that leave you with Ricks only?

Am I missing something about Ricks?.........dilemma.[/quote]

Ric's only, yes.

Are you missing something? Who knows mate. I will say that I was strongly prejudiced against Rics for many years, firstly by the type of music in which they seemed to be mostly used, and secondly by the several myths about their 'signature' sound. Bottom line for me is that both my Rics can get close to a Precision tone (especially with flats), but can do so much more, from clank to heavy heavy dub, and it's this versatility - especially in the bass direction - that works for me at present. I'd always wanted something a little more versatile than a Precision, but despite many attempts, just couldn't get Jazzes and MMs to work for me. The Rics do what my old Telebass did, but with a lot more clarity and authority. To be honest, the recently acquired fretted Ric is perhaps a luxury as I don't really need two expensive basses, but then again, it's nice to be in tune when you're recording!

Re dilemma, it shouldn't be a dilemma for you. However, if you're in doubt, I would strongly urge you to give the Ric a go. My introduction to Rics was via a fretless with absolutely lovely tapewound flats (4445s I think) played though a very warm rig, and as such was a complete contrast to the trebly metallic tone I had previously associated with Rics (and given my decision to buy was based on some threads I had read about how deep a tone can be got from Rics, I wasn't disappointed). This meant that when I bought the fretted, I knew what sound I was after and how to get it; I guess I might not have been so inclined to go for a Ric had my first experience of one been of a fretted instrument strung with Roto rounds played through a PJB rig!

[quote name='BB2000' post='1364517' date='Sep 6 2011, 07:54 PM']Don't listen to the voices Chris...

Try a foil lined hat - works for me![/quote]

LOL, fair point John, but the voices do after all take me on some interesting journeys :)

Edited by Beedster

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1316762881' post='1382408']
Get-some-pictures-up-Chris type bump!
[/quote]

LOL, I actually withdraw these from sale a few weeks back Clarky, hence no pics. However the 'WITHDRAWN' subheading seems to have disappeared? Anyway, I'm happy to let either or both go, but the new site runs way too slow for me to post pics at present, so if anyone's interested, drop me a PM and I'll send some via email. Having said this, a few guys are sniffing around the fretless at present so you might need to be quick on that front!

How did we leave things re the EKO mate, I'm a little off the pace at present! In fact, don't reply, I'll give you a call over the weekend

C

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1316763857' post='1382419']
The sound is huge, tight and even across the range. A unique and brilliant sound. It sits in a the mix like nothing else, what amazing basses...
[/quote]

Yep, that's what I'm finding

• 1 month later...

After a lengthy process, the fretless sold and fretted is still available. Below are Greg original pics, I'll post some of its present look ASAP. The main difference is that it now has a black/white/black period correct pickguard and a Badass II, and no longer has the FretFX LEDs. It is a VERY nice Precision, the neck is especially outstanding. I'm prepared to let this go below asking price, as a quick sale will sort out a couple of issues for me :)

Edited by Beedster

A really stonkingly lovely P, that I could only bear to part with as I was upgrading (in vintage terms) to Chris's '65P.

As said, the neck is an absolute joy to play, the slab board is of the really dark, dense rosewood you only see these days on custom and top-end instruments.

For a player rather than a purist this is about as good as it gets for a '70's / '80's Precision, and for not much moolah!

(be warned though - he puts flats on everything.......)

Thanks Greg, yep, it's a decent bass for sure. If this sells I'm keeping my c64, if that sells, I'm keeping this. The 4003FL will always be my number one bass, but I'm kinda spoilt for choice when it comes to fretted backups!

I've just sold some studio stuff on eBay for more than I thought I'd get which has taken the pressure off a little. So, as things don't seem to be moving here at present I'll offer this bass for £550 collected from Canterbury (or possibly Medway). If it doesn't sell here I'll eBay it, as I'm quite surprised how buoyant things are there compared to BC (despite their 10% commission).

[quote name='cd_david' timestamp='1320071351' post='1421882']
:) desperately trying to sell 3 basses
[/quote]

You're not alone mate!

Should mention that I can post this if needs be, but it'll have to be either in a hard case you send to me, or on the basis that you return my hard case to me after you've received the bass as I've only got one hard bass case left!

Chris

Pics with black pickguard as promised! As you can see it's got a stunning grain, the slab board's lovely, the pocket's a pretty decent fit, and there's a lovely contour on the body

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/Precision2-1.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Beedster

A couple of folks have PM'd about parting this so, whilst it's a shame as it's a great bass, I'll happily part with the bits as below (all prices posted to UK)

Body & 2 x pickguards (tort & black) £325 ovno
Neck/tree £175 ovno SOLD
Bridge £75 SOLD
PUP & circuit £60
Tuners £30 SOLD

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1321037307' post='1434783']
Neck on tentative hold pending some Le Carre-esque cloak & dagger stuff in Canterbury early December :)
[/quote]

Rubbing boot polish on my face, packing my parachute and cutting the labels out of my suit as we speak...