Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG C115-300 EVO II

FourStrung

Have had the Ashdown combo for a couple of months now and liking what I am getting with my Fender Precision, so real issue on the sound front.
However, finding it needs to be run around 75% vol at some gigs and think I need the 4 x 10 the help out with the power end without pushing the amp too much.
Considered the Ashdown 4 x 10 to run the internal speaker with the external can at 4ohms and get full power from the amp. It will move more air but not sure what will happen to the sound along with it. Do I have that right so far?
Hoping the more experienced players out there may offer some advice here.
Its a long way to good music shop out here in the middle of France, so will be likely be a online buy or grab something when I am back in the UK in Dec, if I can wait that long – ha ha (urge to buy building up...) but wont have the any of the gear on the trip

Adding an extension cab will definitely give you more volume, first off you will be getting full power from the amp by dropping to 4 ohms as well as moving more air with the extra cab, most common extension cabs with the MAG combos are the compact 210 or 115 but the MAG 410 will work great just make sure its an 8ohm 410 and not the 4 ohm 414. Hope this helps.

I'm gonna go against what the rest are saying & suggest getting an Ashdown 1x15 cab.
If you like the sound you're getting, the extra 15 is going to give you more of the same & will have a better dispersion to your audience than the 4x10.
Adding the 4x10 does 2 things. 1, it changes your sound & 2, different sized drivers will give you different sounds at different venues. With the same sized drivers you'll get a more consistent sound from venue to venue.

Don't know if you're familiar with Bill Fitzmaurice but check out his site, read a few threads and learn an awful lot about speakers, cabs and sound in general. After 45 years of playing bass I thought I knew nearly all there to know but since reading the threads on his site and building a few cabs my knowledge base has been turned up side down. [url="http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/"]http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/[/url]

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1364941' date='Sep 7 2011, 08:56 AM']More speakers = more air moving = more sound.

The overall "tone" is another matter.[/quote]
Moving air is good, but if you're not moving it in the right direction then that's kind of a waste.

Think of mixing drivers like having a fan pointing at you keeping you cool & then someone sitting next to you put's a fan on that crosses your stream & oscillates. You lose your consistent breeze.

Interesting!

I recently bought the same combo EVO III. Initially I was looking for something smaller for a duo than my Ashdown Mag400 (2001 Red head which is great) and 2 x 2x10 that I use in a band setting. I took the combo in a trade but thought that the sound was only 'OK' and the volume with a P Bass was as you describe.
However, it coincided with me getting one of the Kappalite 3015 15" speakers to experiment with in another cab. Anyway, I fitted it to the Ashdown today and very impressed!. Sounds much louder, due to better efficiency than the blueline speaker, and the frequency response seems much more even. I also have a Nathan East NE-1 preamp that I intend to use with the P Bass to boost the input slightly eliminate the need for another cab at gigs. I suppose there are a few ways for you to increase volume - it depends on how much gear you want to carry.

On 15's - I've never tried 2 together, but some people love them. Like the post above, go to BFM's site and there is much to be learned on this subject

Edited by LennyP

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1364921' date='Sep 7 2011, 09:17 AM']I'm gonna go against what the rest are saying & suggest getting an Ashdown 1x15 cab.
If you like the sound you're getting, the extra 15 is going to give you more of the same & will have a better dispersion to your audience than the 4x10.
Adding the 4x10 does 2 things. 1, it changes your sound & 2, different sized drivers will give you different sounds at different venues. With the same sized drivers you'll get a more consistent sound from venue to venue.[/quote]
Thanks, I had started thinking about another 15 after rethinking transportation issues with the 4x10, then began looking at the 2x10 and surprised that some are more expensive than the 4x10. I do like what I am getting from the 15. Had a reply back from Mark at Ashdown who suggested that the 2x10 would cut through the mix of a band, but not sure I am having issues in that area for my style and the blues/rock stuff we play. The 15 would be no problem when cramming all the gear into my Peugeot 307, so that could be a winner. Think I will have to try and find people with cabs I test out

[quote name='LennyP' post='1368028' date='Sep 9 2011, 09:23 PM']Interesting!

I recently bought the same combo EVO III. Initially I was looking for something smaller for a duo than my Ashdown Mag400 (2001 Red head which is great) and 2 x 2x10 that I use in a band setting. I took the combo in a trade but thought that the sound was only 'OK' and the volume with a P Bass was as you describe.
However, it coincided with me getting one of the Kappalite 3015 15" speakers to experiment with in another cab. Anyway, I fitted it to the Ashdown today and very impressed!. Sounds much louder, due to better efficiency than the blueline speaker, and the frequency response seems much more even. I also have a Nathan East NE-1 preamp that I intend to use with the P Bass to boost the input slightly eliminate the need for another cab at gigs. I suppose there are a few ways for you to increase volume - it depends on how much gear you want to carry.

On 15's - I've never tried 2 together, but some people love them. Like the post above, go to BFM's site and there is much to be learned on this subject[/quote]
Thanks, I am off to check out the site now. Will post the outcome when resolved

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to have the same Ashdown combo and found it lacked a bit Oomph due to only running at 8-ohms, so I added the 1x15" deep cab. It gave me the full 300w at 4-ohms and plenty of bottom end, the only trouble I found was that there wasen't an awful lot of definition in the sound, especially when playing higher notes (frequencies).

In theory I would have been better buying the Mag 210T combo and adding a 15" deep cab underneath as opposed to 2 15" speakers.

I eventually sold the Mag300 and bought the newly released 550 Touring that came out in June of last year, awesome amp with bags of power, 550w at 4-ohms and 350w at 8-ohms, even though it is a 2x10 it still produes plenty of bottom end, as yet there isn't a 15" cab to go with it unless I used one of the standard Ashdown ABM or MAG ext cabs, but then it wouldn't look right.

Lee :0

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/leeroysilk/P1120751.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/leeroysilk/P1120754.jpg[/IMG]

And my previous amp,

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/leeroysilk/P1120723.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/leeroysilk/P1120730.jpg[/IMG]

• 4 months later...

I'm thinking of my next Amp from my practice 15 Fender. I've been thinking of the MAG C115-300 Evo 11. Its for gigging.........in my bedroom at the moment :blush: but I'm looking for a big step up from what I've got. I'll be using a Fender P AM Standard P Bass on it. Looking at the postings I've heard elsewhere that it lacks power than the advertised 300 rms but it seems to me that the options are the 550 Touring 115 at about £565 or the 300 at £288 and get a cab to go with it later, maybe a 2 x10 for some top end?? Does that sound like a plan for a newbie? :blush:

If you like the Ashdown sound (I do) thats a good path to take. Thats more than i started gigging with (EB180-15 with a 12 inch extension to get the full 180 watts) - you will be in a good position to start with, and to 'improve' your setup as you need.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='Bogart' timestamp='1327604657' post='1514185']
You are using 2x15? right?

I have the same combo. The MAG C115-300 EVO II. And i was thinking of getting one 2x10 or another 1x15.

How do you describe your sound with 1x15 from the combo + 1x15 from the extra cab?
[/quote]Sorry it's taken a while to come back on this. With the extra cab, I guess mainly because you are moving more air, it is a bigger sound, fuller and maybe a little warmer. I wasn't looking for a bright top end, so while I understand those that say it may be muddy and lacking in definition. Could be my ear is not as acute, but it's about what you like when you play, and it does it for me. It also depends on what you plug into it too. All I can honestly say is that if you like the sound from 1 x 15, then a second just makes it a whole lot better IMO! If I find some time I will see if I can create a file to upload as an example, but busy atm.

• 2 months later...

Just got a MAG 210T to run with MAG 115 300 but the amp died, so sadly I can't test it with combo grrrrr!!!
I decided to grab a Kustom DE300 HD to get me out of trouble until I can get it fixed. Luckily Ashdown are going to repair it when I am back in the UK soon for few days. The up-side is the 115 and 210 sound great with the Kustom head and I really like the gain control which saves using a pedal as with the Ashdown. Haven't read too much about these heads and I am certainly no expert but I know what I like and this I like :D It sounded great in the mix and easy to dial in a nice sound. Yet to try the Room EQ but at the price seams like a good buy so far!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the mag c210-300 evo III, wIth out the added cab you can still get the warm tone given by Ashdown, its just more restrictive. I added a 115 for the warmer fat end and left the 210 for clarity and punch. It almost feels that the 115 has a slower response time, which is great for the warm fat tone, but I would definitely think that 2 15's would bet just too dull, mix it up, spread the risk, go for a cab with 10" and a tweeter

Yeah I have to agree about the 2 x 10. I liked the sound of the 15 in the combo and added another 115 cab. Maybe not the best move but it sounded much better getting the power from the amp. I have since picked up a little Ampeg BA115 that came with a jazz bazz that I bought and came virtually free at the price I paid, I do quite like the sound from the Ampeg. Quite nice to have a fairly compact combo, especially while the Ashdown is out of action. Not sure if I will keep it as I wasnt looking for another combo. It's way too easy to accumulate gear :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1346658273' post='1791498']
I've got a 410T coming and I'll see what it sounds like but will probably add a 115 to get full power out of the Mag 300 Evo iii , rather than another 410T or 210 :-)
[/quote]

I have the MAG evo 3 head and MAG 410T im about to add the ABM evo 3 115 cab to it this week so would be interested in what you think of your rig when you add the 115, will you get a MAG or ABM 115