Why become a member? ×

Warwick Basses

ern500evo

Hi guys,
Anyone got any views on the Warwick Pro series basses? For as long as i can remember i've wanted an Ocean blue streamer and if i can shift some gear on then a pro series one could be within reach. However, in comparison to a german built one i keep looking upon it as a cheaper bass but at the end of the day it's still a £1,300 instrument so just wondered what the quality was like. I'm also curious how it would stack up next to a Spector Euro 4LX, which is what i'd sort of made my mind up would be a natural upgrade from my NS2000.

£1300 comes across as a lot for a korean built Warwick, especially when you can get second hand German ones much cheaper (£1000 got me a pair of German Corvettes with John East preamps). Having played one of the Pros in a music shop, it didn't feel much better than a Rockbass, and no where near as good as any German Warwick I've played. I'm not saying they're bad, but for £1300 you can get a lot more bass elsewhere.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1359162' date='Sep 1 2011, 07:56 PM']Yeah, someone's selling a German $$ Corvette for £1000 on here and it's proper lush. Worth over £2k new!!

Truckstop[/quote]
If it's dc2009's old one you're talking about, then yes it is a beauty and the colour is perfect. Unfortunately it's not a Streamer, and besides i need to shift some gear before i do anything else!

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1359178' date='Sep 1 2011, 08:12 PM']If it's dc2009's old one you're talking about, then yes it is a beauty and the colour is perfect. Unfortunately it's not a Streamer, and besides i need to shift some gear before i do anything else![/quote]

It be me that's selling that one. And it really is a stunner, and plays beautifully. If you change your mind and fancy a Corvette, let me know :)

To be honest the only reason i even looked at the korean built basses is that second hand German Streamer LX4's in blue are not that easy to find. If the right german model comes up at the right time then thats's the way i would go, without doubt. Would be interested to see/hear how the Pro series stacks up against a Spector Euro 4 LX though, seeing as they're not that far apart on price.

[quote name='fender73' post='1359799' date='Sep 2 2011, 01:07 PM']As a fan of all things Warwick at the moment, i like the new Professional series basses (apart from the TM Stevens of course) and echoing my comments on another thread talking about the value people place on where the bass is made, if it played nicely, i'd buy one.

Graeme[/quote]
Yes that is a good point, my Spector is only a cheaper NS2000 model but it plays lovely. The word "upgrade" was probably a bit misleading in my original post as my USA P bass is the one most likely to make way for a new arrival. I know what you mean about TM's sig model bass, it's definitely an accquired taste! Although if it gave me some of TM's groove i'd be all over one! :)

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1360876' date='Sep 3 2011, 12:28 PM']If getting a blue bass is a deal breaker, why not buy a regular german Streamer for £600 or so and spend £200 getting it refinished in Ocean Blue? You'll still save a few hundred quid and you get exactly what you want!

Truckstop[/quote]
See, this is the reason i ask for other BC'ers advice/opinions, so they can point out the things that i don't think of!! :)

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1359178' date='Sep 1 2011, 08:12 PM']If it's dc2009's old one you're talking about, then yes it is a beauty and the colour is perfect. Unfortunately it's not a Streamer, and besides i need to shift some gear before i do anything else![/quote]

Thank you :) It is lovely looking. But given that can be had for a probably too low £1000, £1300 for a korean made warwick is daylight robbery, new or not.
It is Evil Undead selling it now, just unfortunately it didn't work out.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1360876' date='Sep 3 2011, 12:28 PM']If getting a blue bass is a deal breaker, why not buy a regular german Streamer for £600 or so and spend £200 getting it refinished in Ocean Blue? You'll still save a few hundred quid and you get exactly what you want!

Truckstop[/quote]

refinishing a wax finish not that easy i think if natural, if gloss it won't come off that easy....

Oh and to the OP, my one that's up on here as a NBD thread set me back £1100, bassdirect have a 4 string version (also pre-owned but mint) up for £1300. You can get a lot more than korean quality warwicks for that kind of money.

The Korean workmanship isn't all that bad, I own at least three Korean made basses, but Warwick will have made sure the components don't live up to the ones they use in Germany, and you can be sure the tools most certainly don't.

Truckstop[/quote]

^^^ This. Second hand Warwick prices are stupidly low at the moment, it seems really silly to buy a new one.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1362474' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:13 AM']Oh and to the OP, my one that's up on here as a NBD thread set me back £1100, bassdirect have a 4 string version (also pre-owned but mint) up for £1300. You can get a lot more than korean quality warwicks for that kind of money.

The Korean workmanship isn't all that bad, I own at least three Korean made basses, but Warwick will have made sure the components don't live up to the ones they use in Germany, and you can be sure the tools most certainly don't.[/quote]
Your new one is a stunner mate!