Why become a member? ×

Zebrano Wideboy 5

neepheid

Cheers guys. I got the idea for the matching zebrano headstock from Warwick:

With the black Gotoh tuners, mine will look quite similar to this, but I might cut out the shape of the truss rod cover out of the veneer and use the cutout to make an "invisible" cover.

[quote name='steve' post='205689' date='May 24 2008, 08:27 PM']It's going to look good when it's done, what pups are you using?[/quote]

EMGs - a 40J at the bridge and I'm deciding between a 40P5 oe a 40DC at the neck. EMG BTC system 2 band EQ.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Tonight I had a practice run at veneering on a scrap bit of pine. I'm glueing on the piece only, letting it dry slightly then placing the veneer down and ironing it through a t-shirt. It seemed to go well, but when I trimmed it to size I chipped a little bit of it. Live and learn.

Once the glue is dry I'm going to practice carving out the recess for the logo inlay.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the encouragement, it really helps to spur me on knowing that people here are liking what they see.

As a self confessed perfectionist, some things really irritate me. Misaligned through body stringing holes is one (Wishbasses make me cry particularly in this respect), but I just don't see what's so damn difficult about putting things in the middle. Measure it and half it. I'm having to make a big fat truss rod cover to compensate for the fact that the recesses are about 3mm off centre with respect to the headstock (yes, 3mm in 54mm is a big deal. I'm guessing most people wouldn't like a bass neck to be 3mm off centre.). Just as well I'm trying to make it almost invisible.

I am not looking forward to cutting this part out of the veneer - zebrano veneer is very easy to split. In this case both parts need to be pristine. Usually when you cut, one piece is being discarded. Oh well, guess I'll just have to snap myself a fresh blade on the knife and take my time.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='232351' date='Jul 3 2008, 11:33 PM']That looks good.

However those off-set truss-rods would worry me a bit...[/quote]

The rods themselves aren't offset, only the bits carved out of the headstock to access them.

• 3 months later...

Small update (now that I've run out of excuses to put things off) - I'm working on shaping the zebrano filler for the cavernous control cavity. Carved out the round corners left by the router. Filler still not fitting 100%, some sanding still to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since I looked at this so I did a little work on it. The hole which was already there for the jack socket was rather thin and I always planned to use a Neutrik locking jack socket which requires a 24mm hole. Redrilling into an existing hole on the edge seemed rather risky so I decided to grind it out with the sanding drums on the Dremel-ish. Took a while, but at least I was able to work up towards the required size.

Of course, the flat plate of the Neutrik doesn't sit well on a curved surface, so I had to carve out a recess for it. And for the final problem, Farnell or Neutrik forgot to give me screws with which to fasten the socket. Thankfully, I had some old black tuners I could steal some screws from.

Enough yap, here's the result:

I have applied the veneer to the face of the headstock, this is the second attempt - the first one slipped a mm or two when applying the iron so I had to pick/sand it all off and start again :)

Then I had the bright idea of sticking the nut blank into the slot and push up against the nut when ironing - sorted!

Clamp city, hoping that the glue has squished out to the edges:

We'll see how it fares after an overnight clamping.

Thanks for the kind words people.

Tonight I took the clamps off and trimmed the veneer to the edges of the headstock. It went well apart from the widest points of the headstock where the zebrano veneer followed the grain and chipped off a few mms - in spite of the glue. All is not lost though, I kept the broken bits and superglued them on then VERY slowly sanded them to shape with 400 grit sandpaper. It seems to have worked.

You can see the superglue darkening the veneer somewhat on the point nearest you in this photo - hopefully it will not show through whatever clear finish I put on it.

I hope that this bass has legendary sustain and tone, because it's going to be rather heavy. Wide neck with twin truss rods coupled to a solid zebrano body (more dense than maple) equals one heavy hombre. How do I know this? I'll let you know in a few days...