Why become a member? ×

Fleas new amps and unfortunate adverts in BGM!

stingrayPete1977

So Gallien-Krueger spend a few quid on the first opening page of this months BGM with the caption "I have the choice to use any amp I want.......I have tried them all and I use Gallien-krueger." shame he has gone to acoustic then!
[url="http://www.acousticbassusa.com/artists/artist-spotlight.html"]http://www.acousticbassusa.com/artists/artist-spotlight.html[/url]
Not the best timing for that advert is it?

Those acoustic amps look just like the old warm air heating units if anyone remembers them? 'Cred-aire' :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1353013' date='Aug 26 2011, 08:57 PM']So Gallien-Krueger spend a few quid on the first opening page of this months BGM with the caption "I have the choice to use any amp I want.......I have tried them all and I use Gallien-krueger." shame he has gone to acoustic then![/quote]

'I have the choice to wear any shirt I want...I have tried them all and I use George from Asda.'

Shame he has gone topless (again) then!

I used to use a mint condition 1X15 USA Acoustic amp from about 1980 when I played in a Wishbone Ash tribute band. It sounded really good, loud/powerful great tone. I only sold it because it was too bulky. I have no idea if the new Acoustic stuff is any good, I guess it's not American made looking at the prices online. :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1353076' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:39 PM']Looks like something out of one of those old tv programs.

"And in the 1980s your Wireless will look like ...."[/quote]
Yeah I can imagine someone in flares wheeling into the park with loads of old Vinyl records stored inside it like a massive ipod of the possible future, "Look at its portability and effortless storage of over 100 tracks".

[quote name='RichF' post='1353093' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:51 PM']i kinda find it odd when he does and doesn't choose to appear with those basses of his. nice Fender but why not free advertising for your own basses?[/quote]
I think he has dropped them now something about commiting too much time to them or something, He has been seen sporting a Modulus again too :) even as a massive EBMM fan I quite like Flea on a Modulus.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1353085' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:43 PM']Yeah I can imagine someone in flares wheeling into the park with loads of old Vinyl records stored inside it like a massive ipod of the possible future, "Look at its portability and effortless storage of over 100 tracks".[/quote]
John Lennon invented it in the 1960s.

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' post='1353070' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:35 PM']I used to use a mint condition 1X15 USA Acoustic amp from about 1980 when I played in a Wishbone Ash tribute band. It sounded really good, loud/powerful great tone. I only sold it because it was too bulky. I have no idea if the new Acoustic stuff is any good, I guess it's not American made looking at the prices online. :unsure:[/quote]

There are two Acoustic companies. There's the Acoustics obtainable from "TheGuitarCenter" which are made in China and there are the bass only AcousticUSA products which are Made in the USA. $3000 a pop.
These new 2011 360's are smaller than the old 70's original.

Check out the forum: - [url="http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com/"]http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com/[/url]

Balcro.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1353013' date='Aug 26 2011, 08:57 PM']So Gallien-Krueger spend a few quid on the first opening page of this months BGM with the caption "I have the choice to use any amp I want.......I have tried them all and I use Gallien-krueger." shame he has gone to acoustic then!
[url="http://www.acousticbassusa.com/artists/artist-spotlight.html"]http://www.acousticbassusa.com/artists/artist-spotlight.html[/url]
Not the best timing for that advert is it?

Those acoustic amps look just like the old warm air heating units if anyone remembers them? 'Cred-aire' :)[/quote]

Everyone is up to this planking business these days :)

Seriously though, you are entirely right in saying that those acoustic amps look like some kind of industrial heaters. Not to mention they nicked the thing with the banner with the knobs on it off the eden website.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1353063' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:29 PM']I bet it sounds ace though![/quote]

It certainly looks like it sounds ace, and i'm sure they do.

The original 70's ones that Jaco is alleged to have favoured, actually sound pretty crap. I've tried a few original heads, as at one point a few years ago, i thought they must have 'something', they didnt, they were solid state, and were not great. The quality is refelcted in current prices for 70's heads and cabs, pretty reasonable.

Would love to try these new ones though, havent seen them anywhere in the UK yet?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1353172' date='Aug 26 2011, 11:09 PM']With Flea using them I bet they will start to appear soon Rick?[/quote]

I hope so!

Personally, i always liked the simple/basic look of them, but they sounded poor, if the new ones are up to scratch (And the anticipated high price), they will be worth having a play on.

Not sure I'd buy one though, big rigs take up too much space now for my current needs, and Mrs. Rick would definitely not be impressed with a new 'wardrobe', especially if it looks like an industrial A/C Unit!!!!!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1353183' date='Aug 26 2011, 11:33 PM']Haha, I agree mrs stingray I'm sure prefers me to have the Genz shuttle to something like that although I do have a nice little stack of cabs growing in the dining room :)[/quote]

Bass gear does actually [i]grow[/i], as I'm sure you tell your good lady too. As long as we all stick to that theory, then there'll always be someone to back us up.
Some instruments dont just grow, they also pro-create too. Many a morning I've woken up to the sound of my wife, going in the spare room, opening up a cupboard, and saying "Were there always 4 guitars in there?, I'm sure there were only 3 the other day!".

Its a fact. National Geographic Channel should do a series on it!!!

I have a W horn cab like the 360 without the power amp, during winter months, I'd put my little fan heat in the bottom horn mouth blowing inward, and it would bath me in warm air whilst I played, it was lush.

I've had email exchange with the guy running the new Acoustic, I asked for specs and such that I like, his idea of spec was to name drop as many people as he could and point out how many Marshall stacks they use at once to show they have a good idea about tone.