Why become a member? ×

Just Ordered a Shuker

Mykesbass

So, a combination of being in a band requiring a more retro feel/sound/look than my lovely Cort GB75, seeing one of Howard Bass Doc's old Tele Basses up for sale and Beedster's maple fretless board, along with the very unexpected money my mum left me recently, I've been in touch with Jon and today placed the order for this: (Jon's idea for the tulipwood - he says he will find a piece that looks just like maple but is much denser/harder wearing)

Custom T bass
5 string
34" scale
maple neck
tulipwood unlined fretless board
two way truss rod
carbon fibre reinforcement
45mm nut width
20.5mm depth at 1st fret
22.5mm at 12th
17.5mm string spacing
black side dots
satin neck lacquer
bone nut
Hipshot tuners
swamp ash body
polyester basecoat
Old Butterscotch translucent finish
rear contour
5 string P pickup.
tele bass control plate.
black pickguard

Thanks mum :)

[quote name='Rumple' post='1345626' date='Aug 19 2011, 04:43 PM']Sounds interesting especially the fretless Tulipwood idea, I'm thinking of going down the fretless maple route again myself at some point.[/quote]

Beedster's maple with a very nice gloss finish looks great but Jon recommended the tulipwood and I'm not going to argue with him!! I'm sure there's a thread with Beedster's board on here somewhere.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1329908060' post='1549335']
So, despite a complete lack of pictures, this should be ready for collection next week!!! Nothing like a huge element of surprise, bit I'm still very excited :o
[/quote]

we obviously need to see pictures as a matter of urgency... :rolleyes:

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1313828223' post='1346094']
I'm very interested in the Tulipwood board. There are 2-3 different types of tulipwood but the ones I've seen are either too soft or too dark to be a real alternative to a maple board. Maybe he's discovered a new species!
[/quote]

I'm interested in this too. There seem to be a few different timbers known as tulipwood. In the furniture industry, when people say tulipwood, they tend to mean the soft whitish/greenish stuff also known as Canary Whitewood or even poplar. In terms of hardwoods, there's the Brazilian stuff, which I believe is quite dark.

I know Jon know's his stuff, so I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1329908432' post='1549343']
we obviously need to see pictures as a matter of urgency... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Think it will be once I get my hands on it - Jon's so flat out it doesn't sound like he has the time to take photo's!!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1329910083' post='1549394']
Think it will be once I get my hands on it - Jon's so flat out it doesn't sound like he has the time to take photo's!!
[/quote]

We seem to have a regular procession of BC'ers dropping by Jon's workshop - could one of them not oblige?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1329916512' post='1549605']

We seem to have a regular procession of BC'ers dropping by Jon's workshop - could one of them not oblige?
[/quote]

If anyone is popping along to take pictures of someone else's basses, could they clear it with Jon first, as he won't know who is on basschat and who isn't. He'd really not wanna upset someone who didn't want pictures taken of their Bass, if they wanted to be the first to see it, if that makes sense.

Dood, Shuker part time p.o.c.