Why become a member? ×

Something for the fans of Justins tone!

blind pilot

Justin's chancellor - Bassist for Tool.

Most amazing tone in the rock business IMHO. Amazing bassist. Amazing band.

I saw a recent video tour of his bass set up and he was using at least double the number of pedals you see there. Amp set up was the same.

I notice he's had a bloody good hair cut!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1344778' date='Aug 18 2011, 08:00 PM']Justin's chancellor - Bassist for Tool.

Most amazing tone in the rock business IMHO. Amazing bassist. Amazing band.

I saw a recent video tour of his bass set up and he was using at least double the number of pedals you see there. Amp set up was the same.

I notice he's had a bloody good hair cut![/quote]

Where's the video tour?

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1344491' date='Aug 18 2011, 03:16 PM']Justin Bieber.......Er no the other one, Chancellor thats it - Tools Bass player![/quote]

I thought that would be who it was, he's the only bass player i've heard of called justin anyway lol.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1345071' date='Aug 19 2011, 08:04 AM']Mmmm, 3 2001rbs. The best and fattest bass distortion money can buy IMO, using separate heads for clean and distortion would be great. I may have to invest in another...[/quote]

My bass amp has 2 channels so i don't need 2 seperate heads for clean and distortion :)

I might have to steal the guitarist stack and try the clean/dirty thang out - the budget wont stretch to a pair of GK heads, and that JD7 is best part of a grand . yoinks lol

I used to have a spare HA2000 amp, would have been Ideal - wish I have kept it now........ho hum.

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1345200' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:35 AM']I might have to steal the guitarist stack and try the clean/dirty thang out - the budget wont stretch to a pair of GK heads, and that JD7 is best part of a grand . yoinks lol

I used to have a spare HA2000 amp, would have been Ideal - wish I have kept it now........ho hum.[/quote]

If you think you need most power for the low end - all that's coming from your bass amp. A little 50W guitar combo would probably be enough to give you a nice bi-amp rig.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1345190' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:26 AM']My bass amp has 2 channels so i don't need 2 seperate heads for clean and distortion :)[/quote]

The 2001 has two channels complete with their own EQs. It'd be nice to have the extra control though and if I was running effects I'd especially want a clean signal running behind my FX to keep it fat whatever I do with the signal.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1345208' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:41 AM']If you think you need most power for the low end - all that's coming from your bass amp. A little 50W guitar combo would probably be enough to give you a nice bi-amp rig.[/quote]

interesting...... I have a HA3500, 4x10,1x15 - plenty of low end, I might just try nicking the head, and running it through the 4x10 as the dirty channel!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1345220' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:53 AM']The 2001 has two channels complete with their own EQs. It'd be nice to have the extra control though and if I was running effects I'd especially want a clean signal running behind my FX to keep it fat whatever I do with the signal.[/quote]

I just use a clean blend. I don't see the need for a whole clean chain, but plenty of people do it so there must be a point.

My rig is a big pedal board with a bit of clean blend etc. I stick it all in the same bass amp, so in the respect, yeh, but then I also use a guitar amp for the mids and top end which you wouldn't normally get with a bass amp.

EDIT: My point is that I don't think you need two totally seperate chains (one clean one dirty) to get that kind of effect, but I wouldn't expect to be able to acheive it with a bass amp alone (although i've not tried many amps).

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1345199' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:33 AM']At the same time? Nice![/quote]

Well funny enough i was playing around with guitar rig today where i used a virtual splitter to get a mix of clean low end and some nice distortion from a guitar amp sim. Sounded great. The other option is to hook up my guitar amp to one of the speaker cabinets, but that would just defeat the purpose. It's a shame it's not got an fx loop blend or something really.

Edited by EdwardHimself

It seems wierd to see him with something other than the maple top!

Still I bloody hope they get this new album out soon and start a tour of the uk!

Back OT, I am going to try out clean and dirty next week, will nick the guitarist Marshall combo! Will let you know how it sounds!

2 amps works way better than a blend. I've done both.

Most of my basses have 2 outputs so I can control each side volume from the bass (like the Yamaha Attitude bass / Rickenbackers etc), but I have a custom buffered split box for when I use a single output bass.

Rig of Doom Version 1. Two amp heads and pedals.

Rig of Doom Version 2: Two preamps. Each feeding one side of the power amp.

Actually the preamps in version 2 (Ampeg SVP-BSP and Line6 Pod XT Pro) are both capcable of splitting their own signals with a clean blend. So technically it was a 4 sound blend.

I've never had a rhythm guitarist in a band!!! :)

I'm currently building version 3.

Edited by fretmeister