Why become a member? ×

£300 budget bass?

Ben Jamin

So my 11 year-old nephew's been teaching himself bass for just over a year now, and he's getting pretty good at it! He's after a new bass to replace his very beat-up RBX170, and has asked me if I could look out for something cool around the £300 mark.

He's been looking at Squier CV Jazzes, which I know are pretty good. I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas as I'm not very knowledgeable in this kind of market but I know there are some pretty awesome basses to be had for this kind of money, if you can find them? Second-hand is also a good option.

All in all I figure he needs a bass which is very playable (small hands at the moment!) and will give a reasonable range of tones so he can explore different styles as he learns.

All opinions are very much appreciated!

Cheers!
Ben

For consistency and value most people will say Yamaha, for thin neck and quality they will say a better Ibanez, an SR series ideally. That's a decent price to get a very decent second hand bass.

For a thin neck and the price though I'm going to have to shamelessly plug my bartolini equipped Dean Edge q4, up for trade here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=150168"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=150168[/url] but most likely about to be put up as for sale too.
I bought it when I was about 14 (probably bigger hands but not by much) and I would say it is the bass where I did most of my improving after my starter Crafter MM copy bass. It's great and sounds fantastic, just doesn't get played anymore.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1343247' date='Aug 17 2011, 03:19 PM']Thanks guys! Yamaha/Ibanez are a good call, hadn't really thought of those!

That Dean looks pretty sweet, I'll email him the link and see what he reckons :)[/quote]

Thanks mate, let me know. It's the same neck profile as any other Dean Edge of about the same age (6 or 7 years now) so if he tries a regular one of those it'll be the same, minus the sweet Bartolini pickups of course. It's also stupendously light weight, I've never played a lighter bass, which will probably also be good for the lad!

If he doesn't like it then I recommend an Ibanez SR as the way to go, as he already has an ibanez, and IMO many yamaha electronics and pickups are a bit weak in comparison.

Dan

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1343214' date='Aug 17 2011, 03:04 PM']Second hand Mexican Fenders are a good shout if you fancy a good name bass.
Pretty much any Yamaha you look at will be outstanding quality for your money and you can pick up '80s and '90s Ibanez for good money too.

Truckstop[/quote]

Absolutely. Very versatile, able to pull the punches for any style of music or look - and with the kudos of having the Fender brand on the headstock.

Naturally, I have one for sale - but you'll find plenty of superb Mexican Precisions in the For Sale section, for up to £300.

Seems the most likely choice, unless he had something specific in mind.

I taught guitar and bass to kids aged 8-42 for a couple of years and I never found the neck profile held anyone back. I've seen kids struggle with scale length on bass (though they overcame it with practice) but a bit of adjustment in technique (to a better technique) can overcome neck thickness easily.

One of the basses I mentioned above will last until the player wants a change, if they ever do. It's a better investment IMO.

Cheers for all the suggestions guys!

I had a look into all of them, and then it turned out my friend was selling his Yamaha BB415, so he's got that for a tidy £200, leaving him with £100 to spend on a nice cable and strap :)

It's all black, nice and classy looking, so it should fit in with most styles he wants to play. Pretty much perfect condition. Very nicely set-up.

The main thing is the neck's really great to play and the action's nice and low with no buzzing, so he should be able get around the board easily enough with his smaller hands. Also the P/J combo covers a good deal of tonal ground and sounds pretty good. The construction's solid, being Yamaha, so it should last him too. Strung with DR Fatbeams too, which is a nice bonus! :)

Mission success?

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1343851' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:38 PM']Cheers for all the suggestions guys!

I had a look into all of them, and then it turned out my friend was selling his Yamaha BB415, so he's got that for a tidy £200, leaving him with £100 to spend on a nice cable and strap :)

It's all black, nice and classy looking, so it should fit in with most styles he wants to play. Pretty much perfect condition. Very nicely set-up.

The main thing is the neck's really great to play and the action's nice and low with no buzzing, so he should be able get around the board easily enough with his smaller hands. Also the P/J combo covers a good deal of tonal ground and sounds pretty good. The construction's solid, being Yamaha, so it should last him too. Strung with DR Fatbeams too, which is a nice bonus! :)

Mission success?[/quote]

Sounds great, no sale for me though!

Good bass, hopefully he'll go far on it!

+1 for Yamaha. Keep your eyes open for something like an old Yamaha BB1100s, great 80s basses made in either Japan or Tawian. You can pick them up for £200-300 and blow away anything new for that price...I still have one but will never sell it!!!

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1343247' date='Aug 17 2011, 03:19 PM']Thanks guys! Yamaha/Ibanez are a good call, hadn't really thought of those!

That Dean looks pretty sweet, I'll email him the link and see what he reckons :)[/quote]

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1343783' date='Aug 17 2011, 10:42 PM']if i were buying a bass for £300 i would get a used cort gb74 and have about £100 change (based on one ive seen on gumtree)[/quote]

So would I :) They're over £430 new.

Also consider the next model down, the GB34. £245 new from www.woodbrass.com with a 3 year guarantee. (Think Squier Jazz Bass with a J/MM configuration).
Both come with the jazz bass neck width at 38mm.

Balcro

I have a very rare Epiphone non reverse thunderbird 5 string on eBay..... Its yours for £350.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-non-reverse-Thunderbird-5-string-Very-Rare-/110724645661?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19c7b4031d#ht_805wt_922"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epiphone-non-rev...1d#ht_805wt_922[/url]