Why become a member? ×

Shops vs the internet

EBS_freak

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1344526' date='Aug 18 2011, 03:53 PM']I remember when i was younger and had just started playing, a trip to the music store should have been a happy occasion. The reality though was that it was quite nerve wracking, because most of the guys who worked in all the local music stores were assholes! Stores like Treblerock, Pro Music and ABC music, full of condescending pricks who looked down their noses at anyone who wasn't part of their little clique or a "face" on the local music scene.[/quote]
Unfortunately that's true of a lot of music shops.

I so agree about how going into a music shop can be nerve wracking. I would sometimes browse round local shops for ideas for presents for the Ex, and I always felt as if everyone could tell I wasn't a musician and was wondering if I had wandered in from a WI meeting by mistake.

However I have now discovered a lovley local shop run by 2 great middle aged guys. I offer you this genuine exchange for your amusement..

ME: Have you got any kazoos
HIM: Sorry love I'm afraid we haven't
ME: That's a shame, I was looking for a stocking filler for my boyfriend
HIM: Well how about one of these little drums?
ME: Thinks.. 'BF is a drummer, we've got too many percussion instruments already' But actually SAYS 'No thanks, I've got plenty of things to bang, I was looking for something to blow!'

The words were out of my mouth and hanging in the air before I could stop them. Gusts of laughter ensued from everyone. You wouldn't get THAT on the internet!! (But I might have got my kazoo!)

[quote name='seashell' post='1344552' date='Aug 18 2011, 04:18 PM']I so agree about how going into a music shop can be nerve wracking. I would sometimes browse round local shops for ideas for presents for the Ex, and I always felt as if everyone could tell I wasn't a musician and was wondering if I had wandered in from a WI meeting by mistake.

However I have now discovered a lovley local shop run by 2 great middle aged guys. I offer you this genuine exchange for your amusement..

ME: Have you got any kazoos
HIM: Sorry love I'm afraid we haven't
ME: That's a shame, I was looking for a stocking filler for my boyfriend
HIM: Well how about one of these little drums?
ME: Thinks.. 'BF is a drummer, we've got too many percussion instruments already' But actually SAYS 'No thanks, I've got plenty of things to bang, I was looking for something to blow!'

The words were out of my mouth and hanging in the air before I could stop them. Gusts of laughter ensued from everyone. You wouldn't get THAT on the internet!! (But I might have got my kazoo!)[/quote]

Priceless!! Could be straight out of a movie called "Carry on music shop"!! :)

Well I've just had my monthly trip to Steve James in Middlesbrough (no money to spend today though) and to be honest, with shops like this, you don't need the web :)
massive new stock, new Graham Coxon Tele to drool over, Orange gear everywhere and great staff.
Came out more informed than when I went in as usual.
Cheers!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1344548' date='Aug 18 2011, 04:10 PM']Unfortunately that's true of a lot of music shops.[/quote]

Yep.
I had a bit of a faltering start with my local music shop when I first moved up here.
Usual scenario, two 18/19 year old guitar heros manning the shop and the owner out the back doing a guitar setup.

I was only after a set of bass strings and it turned into a 5 minute argument because what I wanted wasn't what one of the lads wanted to sell me.

The owner appeared (sh*t - this is starting to sound like Mr Ben... :) ).
Having knocked around the same folk circuit for many years, we recognised each other and he started to relate tales of people I'd played with, and we chatted about the 'good old days'.
With each tale (and a cup of coffee as well), the young lad became a little more uncomfortable and crestfallen.

The owner finally left to finish his setup and the young lad sold me my strings (complete with a boss authorised 'staff discount').
It may have been my imagination, but the final grunt as I made to leave sounded a lot like 'sorry'.

That was over 5 years ago.
The shop has moved to larger premises in the same village and the relationship has improved to the point where, if I'm passing the shop, I always get a wave and frequent offers of a cup of coffee. :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1344975' date='Aug 18 2011, 11:09 PM']I was only after a set of bass strings and it turned into a 5 minute argument because what I wanted wasn't what one of the lads wanted to sell me.[/quote]

I'm just after going to stringsdirect there because I can order exactly the set of strings I want without an argument or an 'upsell' to the shop's favourite/most popular/in stock set.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1345154' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:02 AM']Thats one thing we are quite determined about if we get a shop going. There will be a coffee pot on full time during opening times.

From the house it would be nothing new we have an "Open door" policy anyway. Might need to get some more Kiss cups though :)[/quote]

Well, if you do get it going please try and get a camping field attached. You'll become the number 1 Basschatters holiday destination.
Sadly, the the friendly welcome that you guys give is as dead as a Dodo in a lot of England (if it ever existed).
I always think that people from Northern Island are 'dangerously hospitable'. Especially if alcohol is involved!

[quote name='Johnston' post='1345154' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:02 AM']From the house it would be nothing new we have an "Open door" policy anyway. Might need to get some more Kiss cups though :)[/quote]

It's gonna take a lot more than a cup of coffee to get me to indulge in anything like that... :)

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1345195' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:32 AM']I always think that people from Northern Island are 'dangerously hospitable'. Especially if alcohol is involved![/quote]

I spent a lot of time in Ireland about 15 years ago and most of it is still a blur. :)

When i was looking for a Fender P5 a few years ago i called and/or emailed 5 UK stores (all had websites but they were also bricks and mortar) to see if they had them in stock as all were advertising it on their website. All but one said no but for a deposit they could order me one, and all insisted i couldn't return it if i didnt like it as it was a special order.
Why, if they are advertising them on their website were they "special order"? No mention of this on their websites. I went to Thomanns and will do again (and again) as they are the only ones that treated me like i was a paying customer and not someone that wanted to pay over the odds to be treated like a mug.

I dont mind supporting local shops but they need to meet me half way.

Edited by dave_bass5