Why become a member? ×

One off rehearsal with a Pink Floyd tribute!

barneyg42

So last night had a one off rehearsal with a PF tribute that our keyboard player is in as the regular guy had a gig with another band. They were going to rely on his left hand but with the complexity of the keyboard parts he persuaded them to get me in to help. Only had a couple of days to gen up on the music but to be honest I didn't find it too daunting at all. Best of all though was my Status S2 5-string turned up in the morning so it was almost straight out of the case and into action. What a bass, so easy to play and find a sound.....excellent! Strange thing is I've been listening to Floyd for years and only done the obligatory Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in bands so when it came to learning a load of the other stuff I was totally underwhelmed by it bass wise. Don't get me wrong, the bass underpins a lot of the songs well but the whole thing seems to really revolve around the guitar and keyboards, it seems funny that I had to play the songs to see this, only my opinion of course we all see and hear things differently. They were very impressed with what I did and I think I'm first call dep for the gig if their bassist is double booked again but couldn't see myself doing Floyd on a fulltime basis. So here I am on my day off watching Pulse for the umpteenth time and loving some of the work that Guy Pratt does, but it's brilliance in small doses, the rest just sitting on the root in very repetitive passages of music whilst Mr (don't call me Dave) Gilmour gives it the beans!
But hey..........still love it though! :)

[quote name='KevB' post='1343137' date='Aug 17 2011, 02:12 PM']I suppoose we should respect Waters for not writing overly complicated bass lines just because he was the bass player but sticking to the golden rule of creating what was right for the song.[/quote]

Or, alternatively, we could call his lines predictable, boring and lacking in imagination :lol: :)

Never got into the Floyd. Never played any of their songs. Unlikley to :)

[quote name='barneyg42' post='1343097' date='Aug 17 2011, 01:44 PM']So here I am on my day off watching Pulse for the umpteenth time and loving some of the work that Guy Pratt does, but it's brilliance in small doses, the rest just sitting on the root in very repetitive passages of music whilst [i][b]Mr (don't call me Dave) Gilmour[/b][/i] gives it the beans![/quote]

Isn't that Sir David of Coverdale's middle name? I believe he also hates being called Dave

Totally agree with you, nice and simple, its all that is required. It is after all, generally relaxing stoner music so a big dirty bass solo wouldn't work ( I am a huge Pink Floyd fan by the way)

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='KevB' post='1343137' date='Aug 17 2011, 02:12 PM']'Money' is quite fun to play though isn't it? I suppoose we should respect Waters for not writing overly complicated bass lines just because he was the bass player but sticking to the golden rule of creating what was right for the song.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with this, well put that man...

[quote name='KevB' post='1343137' date='Aug 17 2011, 02:12 PM']'Money' is quite fun to play though isn't it? I suppoose we should respect Waters for not writing overly complicated bass lines just because he was the bass player but sticking to the golden rule of creating what was right for the song.[/quote]

+1

The band with Guy Pratt and Gary Wallace is light years more fun to mess around with than anything that Waters would do..
Hopefully you can get to play the latter.

Also, tbh... it is all about the Gtr having a good take on Gilmour...if that is the case...job done.

• 1 month later...

Well, I appear to be in! Other bassist has bailed and I've got the nod! Very "Pulse" based so I've dug the fretless out and got another Zoom B2 for some of the effects. They were well impressed with my fretless octaver playing in Sorrow.
Getting more interesting from week to week as I'm now learning it all properly. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1313586895' post='1343141']
Or, alternatively, we could call his lines predictable, boring and lacking in imagination

Never got into the Floyd. Never played any of their songs. Unlikley to
[/quote]

You should listen to the early stuff - check out the bass work on Matilda Mother, Lucifer Sam, or Chapter 24 (from the first album) or See Emily Play. It took them years to get boring. :)

Edited by Earbrass

If you like Pulse then try and get a hold of the Delicate Sound of Thunder video. Not sure if it was ever released on DVD.
The bass work is more prominent and clearer than on Pulse which allows you to pick out on Guys intricate little fill ins now and again along with his impressive little bass solo.

I'm a big fan of Floyd from DSOTM to now. Loved the Guy Pratt touring era. Far more interesting from a bass players point of view.
Dave