Why become a member? ×

Cleaning da bass

chilievans

Once a year is enough to use lemon oil, and then only a small amount.
Using it too much can make wood turn brittle.

I hardly ever clean my fingerboard with anything - just a quick rub down with a cloth when I'm changing strings & once a year a going over with WD40, which is what Joe Zon recommends for his phenowood fingerboards.

More important to put the oil on instruments that aren't getting alot of playing. Rosewood type boards will look dull and dry. With playing your skin greases keep things right.

I disagree with RhysP, luthiers like to douse a board in oil before a refret job. Old dry boards split easier as the frets are pulled.

The above doesn't really apply to varnished maple, or indeed Rickenbacker's with the original heavy varnish still on.

Of all the topics to do with the bass guitar, this one on how often to oil/clean the fretboard, and also what substance(s) to use, presents the most varied and contradictory opinions. From my research into this, I've found a general opinion that too much oil is almost as bad as too little, as too much will loosen the frets. I usually wash my hands before I pick up the bass, with the result that a moist cloth is all that is required when changing the strings. As for oiling, maybe once every three years. Also, I always keep my basses in their case/gig bag.

I've used a fair few products for cleaning rosewood, my experiences being thus:

Dunlop Lemon Oil - Cheap, widely available and makes a good job of removing grime, but doesn't seem to have much of a lasting positive effect on the wood itself - dry again in a couple of weeks.

Planet Waves Hydrate - Again, good at removing grime, and seems to have a much more lasting effect on the wood than straight lemon oil - only dry again in a couple of months. It's bright red, however, and will badly stain anything you get it on by mistake.

JHS Gorgomyte - Smells evil, and feels more like it's putting a thin, shiny film over your board than actually preserving the wood. It brings your frets up nicely, but that's about all.

Chrome Frets Silky Strings - Another all in one fret polish and board conditioner, with added string lubricant! Like the Gorgomyte it brought the frets up nicely but made the wood look shiny as opposed to 'fed'. I really didn't like the feel of it on the strings, but if you're an advocate of FastFret, your opinion may differ.

GHS Fast-Fret - I don't like it on my strings, but as it's basically just a rolled rag, soaked in light mineral oil, it's pretty good for using on the board when the strings are off for changing and you don't think it needs anything more severe. You can, however, save a fair bit of cash by buying a bottle of pharmaceutical grade light liquid paraffin at the chemists, as it's the same deal when used this way.

Fret Doctor - Expensive, but the single best product I've ever used on my rosewood boards. It actually looks like it's doing what it professes to and protecting the wood in a lasting way. It doesn't smell unpleasant, and your boards don't feel slick or shiny in use after it's been applied.

As for when / how often to use these products... by using them, you'll get a feel for which ones you like and then similarly how long their effect lasts given the amount that you play / sweat! Use them when necessary.

Usual disclaimer applies - these are my experiences only, and yours may well be different =)

I'll clean it when it looks too dirty but find a wipe down is enough so maybe once a year.

I'll put a very neutral polish on as well, to get rid of any smears. Just enough to embellish/feed the wood.

But I avoid extreme conditions..and always air the basses in moderate -typically household- temps
Never keep them shut down in cases for long

as for oils, there are many options at your local wind instrument shop
been using some odour-free almond oil
they sell it as "blockflötenöl" (recorder oil)
but you really only need to oil your instrument after a thorough cleanout.
I have cleaned an old rosewood guitar finger board that was SOOO greasy
had to use soap to get rid of that thick layer of black dirt
made sure to not soak the board wet
dried it thoroughly and gave it some oil
is very nice now.

I use beeswax whenever I change my strings (once a year when I do my annual service). Just use ever so little and proper buff it up. In fact I often leave it over night before putting the strings on for some sort of OCD reason. I'm sure its fine to put them on straight away!

Truckstop