Why become a member? ×

Look what arrived today :)

molan

Agreed a PX deal recently with a really guy in Israel & his side of the trade arrived today.

A very special Alleva Coppolo KBP4 Custom built by Jimmy for his best friend [url="http://www.jasonlangley.com/jasonlangley.com/Welcome.html"]Jason Langley[/url] with a personal inscription on the neck, back in October '07.

Not had much time to play yet but thought I'd post a few pics anyway. Difficult to really catch the sparkle properly so there's a few similar ones, with & without flash :

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1337683' date='Aug 12 2011, 02:31 PM']Molan, that's absolutely stunning. As is traditional when we meet, I remain somewhere jealous of some of the gear you lay your hands on :)

Interesting on the personal inscription. I've always wondered on the etiquette of such - do you know the story?[/quote]

I've asked Jimmy for a little more background but the inscription reads:

"built by Jimmy Coppolo for Jason Langley. Thanks for all the years of friendship, support and the push to get these basses up and running!"

Jimmy told me Jason was his best friend and I've spoken to Jason a few times via TalkBass. Lovely guy and super friendly, being Jimmy's mate means he seems to get first shout on quite a few of Jimmy's best basses & has owned several of them.

I like the fact that this particular one was made especially for him :)

[quote name='molan' post='1337697' date='Aug 12 2011, 02:40 PM']I've asked Jimmy for a little more background but the inscription reads:

"built by Jimmy Coppolo for Jason Langley. Thanks for all the years of friendship, support and the push to get these basses up and running!"

Jimmy told me Jason was his best friend and I've spoken to Jason a few times via TalkBass. Lovely guy and super friendly, being Jimmy's mate means he seems to get first shout on quite a few of Jimmy's best basses & has owned several of them.

I like the fact that this particular one was made especially for him :)[/quote]

That's very cool, Molan - it certainly adds a little extra human interest to the bass :)

[quote name='molan' post='1337697' date='Aug 12 2011, 02:40 PM']I've asked Jimmy for a little more background but the inscription reads:

I like the fact that this particular one was made especially for him :)[/quote]

Then he goes and flogs it - very respectful :) Gorgeous looking bass btw - his loss, your gain!

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1337886' date='Aug 12 2011, 04:51 PM']Then he goes and flogs it - very respectful :) Gorgeous looking bass btw - his loss, your gain![/quote]

I've spoken to Jason today & it seems that he didn't have it long at all as he'd already fallen in love with another of Jimmy's basses.

I think he played or even owned nearly half of all of Jimmy's early production models, lol.

I've been close to buying two others of his in the past - he really knows his AC basses so pretty much anything he's owned is guaranteed to be a 'good un' :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1338529' date='Aug 13 2011, 10:39 AM']Excellent bass for cruise ship gigs! If the boat ever sinks you can use the neck as an oar to row your lifeboat to safety! :)[/quote]

:)

I must admit I do have issues with AC headstocks on some basses - I think the ones with matching paint always look better than simple wood finishes though.