Why become a member? ×

Best strap locks for Rickenbaker 4003

TerryV

Never owned a Ric but, I've used Schaller, Dunlops and the DiMarzio locking strap (where you screw a bit of the strap to the body, rather than having a strap button).

For me the Dunlop straplocks are the best ones. I've had Schaller straplocks wear through the strap button part before as it's just metal on metal. The Dunlops have little ball bearings to ease friction.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' post='1337353' date='Aug 12 2011, 10:40 AM']Never owned a Ric but, I've used Schaller, Dunlops and the DiMarzio locking strap (where you screw a bit of the strap to the body, rather than having a strap button).

For me the Dunlop straplocks are the best ones. I've had Schaller straplocks wear through the strap button part before as it's just metal on metal. The Dunlops have little ball bearings to ease friction.[/quote]
Cheers, thanks for the info

I can't figure out how to attach these to a strap, do they just fit through the existing hole in the strap?

Many thanks

Terry

[quote name='TerryV' post='1337502' date='Aug 12 2011, 12:25 PM']Cheers, thanks for the info

I can't figure out how to attach these to a strap, do they just fit through the existing hole in the strap?

Many thanks

Terry[/quote]

Depends on the strap.
I had a Mono strap that had really tough leather ends. I had to widen the holes with a file to get the lock through. Most of my basses have soft leather straps and the locks just push through, with a bit of force.

[quote name='bartelby' post='1337521' date='Aug 12 2011, 12:38 PM']Depends on the strap.
I had a Mono strap that had really tough leather ends. I had to widen the holes with a file to get the lock through. Most of my basses have soft leather straps and the locks just push through, with a bit of force.[/quote]
Thanks for that - I've found a lot on YouTube which is usefull too

be carefull

I have a 4001 c64 and the vintage button has a bolt type thread and the dunlops which I prefer are much smaller than the drilled holes. You can plug the holes and redrill if required.

I had a 4003 and a hazy memory of that is the holes were larger in the body than the screw.

I plugged the body on mine, but you can get schaller locks from Rick

[quote name='bumnote' post='1337920' date='Aug 12 2011, 05:17 PM']....be carefull I have a 4001 c64 and the vintage button has a bolt type thread and the dunlops which I prefer are much smaller than the drilled holes. You can plug the holes and redrill if required. I had a 4003 and a hazy memory of that is the holes were larger in the body than the screw. I plugged the body on mine, but you can get schaller locks from Rick....[/quote]
If that's the case then Schaller locks could be worse as the screws they use are even thinner than the Dunlops.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1337949' date='Aug 12 2011, 05:43 PM']If that's the case then Schaller locks could be worse as the screws they use are even thinner than the Dunlops.[/quote]

[url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/cart.asp?viewitem=05904&category=viewitem&buffer_category=Miscellaneous"]http://www.rickenbacker.com/cart.asp?viewi...y=Miscellaneous[/url]

Bolt type on Rick Page

I use the DiMarzios... Seems to offer the best flexibility - only downside is that you have to use their straps....

[quote name='bartelby' post='1337995' date='Aug 12 2011, 06:22 PM']The DiMarzio locking strap could be worth a look as you can use the orginal screws.[/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' post='1337999' date='Aug 12 2011, 06:30 PM']I use the DiMarzios... Seems to offer the best flexibility - only downside is that you have to use their straps....[/quote]
cheerss Mark - That does look like the best option as the screws on other ones may well be too small and I don't really want to plug the holes and rescrew

[quote name='bumnote' post='1337993' date='Aug 12 2011, 06:21 PM'][url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/cart.asp?viewitem=05904&category=viewitem&buffer_category=Miscellaneous"]http://www.rickenbacker.com/cart.asp?viewi...y=Miscellaneous[/url]

Bolt type on Rick Page[/quote]
That looks interesting, do you use these? Is this like a traditional strap lok which fixes through the guitar strap?

Thanks

[quote name='TerryV' post='1337815' date='Aug 12 2011, 03:55 PM']I'll check them out - many thanks[/quote]
Hi there seems to be thoughts (below) that the screws on these are too small for the existing hole in the Ric's body and it needs plugging - did you find that with your 4003?

[quote name='TerryV' post='1338039' date='Aug 12 2011, 07:01 PM']That looks interesting, do you use these? Is this like a traditional strap lok which fixes through the guitar strap?

Thanks[/quote]

Looks like it's for Schaller locks.

[quote name='TerryV' post='1338039' date='Aug 12 2011, 07:01 PM']That looks interesting, do you use these? Is this like a traditional strap lok which fixes through the guitar strap?

Thanks[/quote]

Np I tried to get these for dunlops but was not able to. I took a deep breath and plugged and redrilled the holes

• 2 weeks later...

I use and swear by Dunlops, although did a gig without them on Friday for the first time in years :) However, nifty little trick if the hole's too large, I get a match and chop the firey red end off, and then with a sharp knife (swiss army will do) shave it down, stick it in the hole and it plugs it up, but not so much you have to redrill it. One my dad's been using for year and I use as well now.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='yorick' post='1348940' date='Aug 23 2011, 12:59 PM']Have a look at these. Should fit over your existing strap buttons. Cheap.

[url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/lok-strap"]http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/lok-strap[/url][/quote]

Hi- not a bass, but I've got a pair of Ric 360s ( a six and a twelve) and they come with the straplock buttons as standard. These are for [b]Schaller[/b] locks. I tried a cheaper setand the strap fittings don't fit over the fittings onn the guitar. I don't have any experience of the likes of Dunlop etc, but to be sure I'd stick to Schallers- as previously mentioned these are the ones sold as official Ric parts.
Personally, I'd avoid getting the 'official' Ric ones, as they are about three times what you'd pay for them on Ebay. I got some recently for a tenner as opposed to £37 for a full set!

• 2 weeks later...