Why become a member? ×

NBD...

uncle psychosis

Hi guys

Took delivery of a deliciously lovely Yamaha bass yesterday---thanks Lucatus---but I'm just wondering if the case I have is snug enough (picture below).

It fits pretty nicely around the neck, but there's a little bit of wiggle room around the upper/lower horn. I guess I'm slightly worried that the whole thing will slide up (towards the headstock) and end up putting too much pressure on the headstock...am I worrying over nothing?

I guess there's less wiggle room than one of those cases where the inside isn't shaped, right?

This is what I did

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=20029"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=Attach...st&id=20029[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=20030"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=20030[/url]

Got a couple of seat belt comforters from Tesco for about a fiver and hot glued 'em in place. Been about 3 years now, with no adverse affect on the bass.

Fill the voids with polystyrene beads from your younger brother's favourite beanbag.
How the venue owners will curse you when you open [i]that[/i] case....

I have the opposite problem. I have such as protuberant horn (well, actually a Warwick Fortress 5 does) that it's going to spend it's life in a (decent) gig bag... I'm not butchering my Hiscoxs for it (they have to transport other basses, too)

It's easier to pad out than cut back, that's for sure!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1335722' date='Aug 10 2011, 09:20 PM']I have the opposite problem. I have such as protuberant horn (well, actually a Warwick Fortress 5 does) that it's going to spend it's life in a (decent) gig bag... I'm not butchering my Hiscoxs for it (they have to transport other basses, too)[/quote]

I keep my Fortress in a hardcase with no shaping, padding on the inside, it fits quite snug and has never been damaged.

I've always felt that a case which is a very snug fit is worse than one which is a bit loose. If it's a very snug fit, a serious impact will mean that the force of the impact is transferred straight through to the bass. If the bass is a looser fit and can move a little, the force will be dissipated more quickly and allow the bass to move instead of absorbing all of the impact.

Hiscox STD EBS cases are great (and pretty much industry standard) but not shaped at all inside. Never heard of this causing a problem.

Just my thoughts......

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1336353' date='Aug 11 2011, 12:59 PM']I've always felt that a case which is a very snug fit is worse than one which is a bit loose. If it's a very snug fit, a serious impact will mean that the force of the impact is transferred straight through to the bass. If the bass is a looser fit and can move a little, the force will be dissipated more quickly and allow the bass to move instead of absorbing all of the impact.[/quote]

I agree,

[quote]Hiscox STD EBS cases are great (and pretty much industry standard) but not shaped at all inside. Never heard of this causing a problem.[/quote]

And with this also. I have two, and can fit any of my basses in them.
Except one. Alas, the Fortress V's horn is [i]so[/i] protruberant and its tip so bulbous that it simply will not fit without that fit being too "snug". This in turn causes abrasion, wear and discomfort. :)
I think my 5 must be wider than yours, lobematt. Is yours a 4?

I really must stop this. NOW.