Why become a member? ×

I'm really flabbergasted...

karlbbb

Hey guys, I'm currently looking around for a new bass. My only bass at the moment is the Vintage V940 and I still quite like it considering it's nearly two years old now.

I play mainly punk rock/metal, and I really am stuck as to what to get for a new bass. I want it to be 5 string, and to give me that "punk" tone. I'm looking at coupling it with a DHA pre-amp. Price range around £300-350, and I'd also like to be able to get other tones than just the punk/metal tone.

I was originally looking at perhaps an Ibanez SR505. Im just really stuck as to what to look at. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Karl.

Edited by karlbbb

[quote name='karlbbb' post='153169' date='Mar 7 2008, 03:53 PM']I knew I'd missed something I wanted to say out of the original post. I [b]really[/b] can't get on with a P-bass neck. I love thinner necks![/quote]

a thin 5 string neck id got for a fieldy ibanez

I quite like the look of the Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5's. Has anyone played one of these?

My fave bassists are Chris Aiken from Strung Out (uses a 4 string Geddy Lee signature Jazz through an Ampeg SVT and 810 rig) and Brian Robinson from A Wilhelm Scream (uses a Stingray through an Ampeg SVT and 810 rig).

A couple of examples of Brian's tone (I know YouTube videos aren't the best for listening to the bass tone, but I'd love to know what you think):

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0pZstkiTg4&feature=related"]5 to 9[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1pQYsE8OVU"]Die While We're Young[/url]

[quote name='E_MaN' post='153295' date='Mar 7 2008, 06:33 PM']Why do you want a 5 string?[/quote]

My first bass was a 5 string, then my current is only a 4. I miss the 5. I'm not the biggest fan of having to downtune, and I like the extra range at the bottom. :)

[quote name='karlbbb' post='153302' date='Mar 7 2008, 06:49 PM']My first bass was a 5 string, then my current is only a 4. I miss the 5. I'm not the biggest fan of having to downtune, and I like the extra range at the bottom. :)[/quote]

2nd hand Warwick Corvette $$5 if you can stretch to it - if not Corvette active 5 (ash). Play one first tho, if you find the P neck a stretch the Warwick neck might not be for you (it aint a Jazz). Another option - Spector?

[quote name='karlbbb' post='153131' date='Mar 7 2008, 03:17 PM']I was originally looking at perhaps an Ibanez SR505. Im just really stuck as to what to look at. Any suggestions would be much appreciated![/quote]

[quote name='simon1964' post='153544' date='Mar 8 2008, 11:53 AM']Some good suggestions above. I've just bought an Ibanez ATK305. They're certainly worth a look. I've never got on with 5 strings before, but this is really playable, and very versatile.[/quote]

Go for either of the ibanezes, ive played simon1964s ATK and its a great bass, definatly the sort of tone you were describing. I own the SR500 (four string version of SR505) and play punk music, its definatly what you'd want, I love it! I'd highly reccomend both ibanezes, absolutely brilliant basses. Just want to point out that the ATK has a wider neck than the SR.

By the way, is it [i]ibanezes[/i]? if not, what is the plural of ibanez?

Thank you all for the suggestions! :)

Can anyone find any data for the string spacing of a few of the suggestions? I'm not sure if I have a brain today and can't seem to find any.

Particularly the OLP MM32 and the Ibanez ATK305 and SR505.

Cheers, Karl

[quote name='karlbbb' post='153745' date='Mar 8 2008, 08:34 PM']Thank you all for the suggestions! :)

Can anyone find any data for the string spacing of a few of the suggestions? I'm not sure if I have a brain today and can't seem to find any.

Particularly the OLP MM32 and the Ibanez ATK305 and SR505.

Cheers, Karl[/quote]

The ATK305 is 17mm at the bridge and the SR505 16.5mm. Full specs are on the Ibanez site here:

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_canada.html"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_canada.html[/url]

I think the OLP is 16.5mm - my old OLP MM3 was, and I assume the string spacing is the same

[quote name='simon1964' post='153544' date='Mar 8 2008, 11:53 AM']Some good suggestions above. I've just bought an Ibanez ATK305. They're certainly worth a look. I've never got on with 5 strings before, but this is really playable, and very versatile.[/quote]

I was going to suggest an ATK as well. They're good basses for the money, and have a sound that would probably suit the style of music karlbb plays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='simon1964' post='153813' date='Mar 9 2008, 10:14 AM']The ATK305 is 17mm at the bridge and the SR505 16.5mm. Full specs are on the Ibanez site here:

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_canada.html"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_canada.html[/url]

I think the OLP is 16.5mm - my old OLP MM3 was, and I assume the string spacing is the same[/quote]

My MM32 measures at just under 16mm at the bridge. Seems really tight, but doesn't seem to take long to get used to - for fingerstyle anyway - it's a bit too narrow for slap type stuff for me. Then again, I'm not really any good at slap on the 4 string (MM22 is 19mm) :)

[quote name='Machines' post='169953' date='Apr 4 2008, 06:34 PM']You might have trouble sourcing a MM32 now OLP have ceased production. Ernie Ball ceased the license, kind of rending their brand name obsolete.[/quote]

Thus making them rare....watch the prices rocket :)

[quote name='karlbbb' post='153131' date='Mar 7 2008, 04:17 PM']I was originally looking at perhaps an Ibanez SR505.[/quote]
I was actually going to suggest one of those. I've never tried one but the rest of the ibanez's i have tried have the treble for the punky stuff and you can EQ that sucker waay down for some metal.

Also don't touch a P-bass 5 string, if the fender one is anything like the squier one the neck is like a spade. I couldn't fit my hand around it and i have a tobias toby pro 5 which feels amazing.

On second thoughts see if you can get one of them! I use mine for metal mainly but i used to use it with a pick for stuff like rancid and it sounded pretty good.

Oh and there is actually a 5 string OLP stingray dual humbucker (the newer ones just before they stopped production which were miles better) on ebay right now [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-OLP-by-Music-Man-Stingray-5S-2-HB-aktiv-Super-Bass_W0QQitemZ330225276120QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]here [/url] If you can stretch your budget a bit. And another [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLP-MM-22BCB-IN-CHERRY-AND-BLACK-5-STRING-BASS-SUPERB_W0QQitemZ190181198116QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem"]here[/url] a bit cheaper.
There are also a few left on gak i think but the older cheaper single H ones.

Also worth taking note of is a musicman sub 5. I have a four string and they're fantastic basses, handle both punk and metal extremely well. They come up on ebay occasionally.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote]Id go for an RBX series YAMMY i think if you wanted a 5 string[/quote]

I have one (RBX765), the neck as nice. 44mm at the nut, 65mm at the 12th fret, 77mm at the 24th and has 19mm string spacing (center to center) at the bridge. I can get a rather raw, barky P'bass sort of tone using the neck pickup. I don't know if you can still get one new but they do pop up 2nd hand, I paid £110 for mine. There is also the RBX 375, but I don't know if the dimensions are the same.

Another vote here for the Ibanez SR-I had a 500 which was a lovely bass, very light and comfortable, great sound, and if you like a thin neck then this should suit you. It's a lot of bass for the money. I only got rid of mine because I DO get on with P-bass necks so I traded my Ibanez in for one! Good luck!