Why become a member? ×

World Trip

Mylkinut

Right, in two weeks I'm leaving to go on an 8-month world trip with my girlfriend. I'm roadtripping across the States, camping in NZ and Australia, backpacking around SEA and taking trains around India. It's something I've been planning to do for years and needless to say, I'm pretty damn excited.

Trouble is, I can't take a bass. How do you guys recommend I keep from getting too rusty? Pop into shops and noodle once in a while? Or buy a rubbish acoustic from Walmart to keep until it gets too bulky to hold on to?

Also, can anyone give me some good bass-orientated places to visit? So far I've got away with telling the gf that we're heading to the Fender factory and a few vintage shops, but obviously more will need to be done :)

I wouldn't worry about it.

How about asking people how long it takes to get back up to speed after a year of not playing bass? My bet is that it would be a few weeks at most, but it would be interesting to hear other views.

Then, you could just settle into the trip of a lifetime and get the absolute most out of it without worrying about your bass-playing skills ebbing away.

Have a great trip!

Wow, sounds like a fantastic trip. Don't do what I did - as soon as I landed in Perth, I decided I couldn't do without a bass so went to the local shop and spent lots on an acoustic bass. When my money ran out, I was surviving on mouldy oranges for a week before reluctantly pawning the bass (for a 60 per cent loss). This was offset somewhat by the 12 dollars I made busking, and the memories of campfire jamming on a random island, which are priceless.
So, yeah, have a great time, and if you can get a cheap acoustic, it will enrich the experience.

Depends on you level and what you wnat to get back to and how much effort you can/will put into it.
But I would have thought if this was a consideration, it would have cropped up as an issue before.

As you are committed, you might get a chance to have a blast once in a while..but I'd just make sure you dive in and get working on your bass when you get back...IF you still feel the same way about it all then.

Sounds like an epic trip you have planned there!
As you're gona be crossing the States I can't urge you enough to go check out the Southern States especially Virginia, Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky & Georgia. First time I went over in 2008 I fell in love with the people and the place (I was given the title of 'Honorary Redneck' and a John Deere cap hence the name JohnDeereJack!)
When I was over I bought a cheap acoustic guitar just for sitting in jam sessions (there are PLENTY around) and something called a GripMaster to keep my fingers limber for the almost four weeks I was without a bass.

[attachment=86192:51014700.jpg]

They come in different strengths and I seriously can't extoll the virtues of these devices enough.

Unfortunately I'm not gona make the States this year but enjoy your trip mate, I'm totally jealous. :)

Cheers guys - to be honest the worries of losing my skills only came up recently because it literally just occurred to me that I won't be playing for quite a while!

I guess it's not worth worrying about - trip of a lifetime and all that.

Can anyone else recommend places for us to visit, musical or no?

[quote name='johnDeereJack' post='1325370' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:44 AM']Sounds like an epic trip you have planned there!
As you're gona be crossing the States I can't urge you enough to go check out the Southern States especially Virginia, Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky & Georgia. First time I went over in 2008 I fell in love with the people and the place (I was given the title of 'Honorary Redneck' and a John Deere cap hence the name JohnDeereJack!)[/quote]
Definitely +1 on going down south. And while you're in The South, you might want to bone up on some of Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck-ism's.
Example:
You might be a Redneck...[list]
[*]If you own a home that is mobile, and fourteen cars that aren't.
[*]If your ironing board doubles as a buffet table.
[*]If your dad walks you to school because you're in the same grade.
[/list] Mind you, the above could probably apply to a lot of people over here, too...
:)

Yup, insured up to the eyeballs and my camera's up to it.

As for dodgy officials, I'm planning on using my English charms to get by them (as well as the wad of dollars stashed in my sock)

Not sure about my home being mobile but I've currently got two cars parked outside that aren't either :)

[quote name='Mylkinut' post='1325270' date='Aug 3 2011, 09:51 AM']Trouble is, I can't take a bass. How do you guys recommend I keep from getting too rusty? Pop into shops and noodle once in a while? obviously more will need to be done :)[/quote]

Go into the Music shops in the States, and slap to your hearts content - they will give you plenty of strong black coffee so you can slap faster.
They don't mind, and there is no fear of them calling CSI or the FBI.

Garry