Why become a member? ×

John Taylor Duran Duran

stewblack

I do a weekly community radio show (imagine hospital radio without the captive audience) and am starting up a slot called Shut Up And listen To The Bass where I showcase a different bass player each week.
For absolutely no particular reason whatever I'm starting with John Taylor this evening.
This is where you come in. What Duran track (album, b side, single - whatever) best showcases Mr Taylor's work?

Thanks,

Stew

When I was a kid I was quite inspired by 'Rio'; my dad won it for me on a tape in some scratch card competition in the 80s! Quite aggressive and punchy finger-style playing and a nicely busy line. I think he throws in a few pops in the chorus for good measure. A good track for learning about muting with your fretting hand to get ghost notes etc. I was a young metaller at the time and Steve Harris was my hero, so liking that track was a guilty secret. I still think it's a cracking bass performance though.

Well, Taylor often name-checks "Rio" and "Skin Trade" as being two of his favourite lines. The generation of players who grew up musically in the 80s will probably point to "Rio" as being one of the first examples of Taylor's work that caught their attention. Personally, always preferred the line on "Last Chance On The Stairway" from the Rio period and "Ordinary World" from the Wedding Album period, Guess it depend on whether you're drawn to his fussy lines or his supportive ones. A bit too much studio trickery during the Power Station project to take those lines seriously, from a players standpoint, but the likes of "Some Like It Hot" certainly showcases the bass player and has the bass part prominently featured in the mix.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1324211' date='Aug 2 2011, 01:29 PM']A bit too much studio trickery during the Power Station project to take those lines seriously, from a players standpoint, but the likes of "Some Like It Hot" certainly showcases the bass player and has the bass part prominently featured in the mix.[/quote]
Some great ideas and a good point - doesn't need to be Duran....

There`s a track on Rio called New Religion - have always like the bass in that. Thing with DD/JT, the bass seems so multi-tracked, or some done on the keyboards, it`s difficult to tell what he actually would have done live - not that I don`t like his bass-lines, cos I do.

But I think JT excelled when he was in The Neurotic Outsiders, with Sex Pistol Steve Jones, and Guns N Roses Duff McKagan & Matt Sorum - a truly awesome band. JT held down the rhythm with Matt Sorum really well.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1324229' date='Aug 2 2011, 01:41 PM']There`s a track on Rio called New Religion - have always like the bass in that. Thing with DD/JT, the bass seems so multi-tracked, or some done on the keyboards, it`s difficult to tell what he actually would have done live - not that I don`t like his bass-lines, cos I do.

But I think JT excelled when he was in The Neurotic Outsiders, with Sex Pistol Steve Jones, and Guns N Roses Duff McKagan & Matt Sorum - a truly awesome band. JT held down the rhythm with Matt Sorum really well.[/quote]
Not heard The Neurotic Outsiders off to check it now.

Reflex on my stereo at present is causing all sorts of bad hair 80's nostalgia memories.

Edited by stewblack

Listening to the live Arena album and the bass is much more up front in the mix (as you'd imagine). This is a fun project, listening more closer to the bass lines I like the Rio line but Planet Earth is very good. Rhythmic and solid but occasionally wanders about a bit.

for my 2p worth .... rio is a great little showboat tune and on the other end of the scale would choose 'ordinary world' for subtle comparison
- nice bass line and on the studio cut of the single one of the most beautiful sublimley simple guitar solos ever on a 'pop song' by the fantastic warren cuccurrullo

as an aside for those unfamiliar with the talented mr cuccurrullo just in case you thought he might be just another sixstringer in a pop band ....

(i get to include this cos it has some nice playing from nick beggs too) :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1324333' date='Aug 2 2011, 02:59 PM'](i get to include this cos it has some nice playing from nick beggs too) :)[/quote]
Mr Beggs is also on my list of great bassists in, maybe, less than fashionable bands. Will be featuring him one week too.

[quote name='stewblack' post='1324342' date='Aug 2 2011, 03:08 PM']Mr Beggs is also on my list of great bassists in, maybe, less than fashionable bands. Will be featuring him one week too.[/quote]
Keeping on the 80s theme, Mick Karn has to make an appearance.