Why become a member? ×

Alpine White Epiphone Thunderbird Differences

dc2009

Ok so I've promised the missus the last thunderbird I buy (at least for a good while) will be a stock, Alpine White Epiphone one. Now I know that the arctic white was a limited run, but in my searches and ebay trawls I've found two variants:

There is the one like the current stock Epi Thunderbird IV, it has black hardware and the same pickups.

The other version is like a take on a vintage thunderbird, the pickups look (and I assume sound) more like the vintage ones, and the knobs and tuners have been replaced with more vintage TB styled ones.

So my question is, which one is the limited edition, or are both? If so, how limited is limited, and realistically what is each one worth/what was it worth when it was new, based on which model it is?

Pics are added below to clarify my terrible description.

Thanks,
Dan

Edit: Arctic -> Alpine due to my stupidity

Edited by dc2009

[quote name='Who's Who' post='1323496' date='Aug 1 2011, 08:34 PM']Just found this one in stock at £239.

Seems a bargain, and a cool colour.

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/epiphone-thunderbird-iv-bass-limited-edition-silverburst.html"]http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/epiphone...ilverburst.html[/url][/quote]

Ooh, now that is cheeky!

Seen the silverburst in a few places but I want a white one lol!

I'm happy with a bolt on neck BRX, I have a thru neck reverse body, and a bolt on non-reverse and love both. I'm aware the white ones only come in standard bolt on and I'm cool with that. They both have different joys and downsides and that's fine by me.

To be honest I'd be upgrading the bridge for sure on either of these, and perhaps the pickups too, depending on the sound. If anyone has experience of the vintage look pickups that'd be good because I'm leaning towards that one looks wise!

Again, any solid answers to the above would be good.

I had one of the original Korean arctic whites - that's the one with the black hardware. loved how it played and sounded & the balance was much improved once I moved the front strap button. it had a limited edition decal on the back of the headstock where it joins the neck. I only parted with it as I wanted a pro-v in natural.

I believe the newer ones are chinese - not that that would put me off. I much prefer the chrome hardware -mine looked a bit too, er... 80s hair metal for an Americana band

I think you'll find it's Alpine White (pedant alert, but I got pulled up on that once).

The original Korean ones are very nice basses, finished to a high standard and with decent hardware and electronics.

The new Chinese ones look nice, if you like a bit of chromey bling, but the pickups are, as someone suggested above, guitar pickups and, just to make the point as strongly as possible without actually shouting [b]**[url="http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=5610.0"] bloody awful[/url]**[/b]. (That's a link, by the way, in case you don't believe me).

This is classic Catch-22, as the only reason to buy one of the new ones is the chrome pickups, but as soon as you get it you'll have to replace them.

They are both described as limited edition, as in mass produced in China for a limited period. :)

Edited by spinynorman

I had an original black hardware one a few years ago - I tried a Gibson - didn't get on with it and preferred the Epi. Put the price difference to my Ampeg SVT3 Pro.

I sold the TBird last year for £100 more than I paid for it!

Then missed it! So, got a Tokai Antique White of've EBay for £116!! have to say - it blows the Epi away!

[quote name='grunge666' post='1324245' date='Aug 2 2011, 01:52 PM']I had an original black hardware one a few years ago - I tried a Gibson - didn't get on with it and preferred the Epi. Put the price difference to my Ampeg SVT3 Pro.

I sold the TBird last year for £100 more than I paid for it!

Then missed it! So, got a Tokai Antique White of've EBay for £116!! have to say - it blows the Epi away![/quote]
Gibson, Epiphone and Tokai Thunderbirds are all completely different instruments in terms of construction, woods, hardware and electronics. About the only thing they have in common is a similar body shape. Which one is best is completely down to personal preference.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1324231' date='Aug 2 2011, 01:42 PM']I think you'll find it's Alpine White (pedant alert, but I got pulled up on that once).

The original Korean ones are very nice basses, finished to a high standard and with decent hardware and electronics.

The new Chinese ones look nice, if you like a bit of chromey bling, but the pickups are, as someone suggested above, guitar pickups and, just to make the point as strongly as possible without actually shouting [b]**[url="http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=5610.0"] bloody awful[/url]**[/b]. (That's a link, by the way, in case you don't believe me).

This is classic Catch-22, as the only reason to buy one of the new ones is the chrome pickups, but as soon as you get it you'll have to replace them.

They are both described as limited edition, as in mass produced in China for a limited period. :)[/quote]

You are right on the Alpine front, I didn't read the thing properly (I do know it's Alpine but wasn't paying attention and picked a word beginning with A that sounded cold and white!)

I have a problem, in that I very much like the look of the silver hardware on the body, but love the look of the black hardware on the headstock, I'm considering making some b*****d child of the two, though not set on that.

As for the pups, I think I'd be replacing them regardless (though there is a vague chance of me keeping them if I bought the non-terrible vintage guitar pickuped one). So I guess this then begs the question, which of them will best fit the custom pickups I want to put in, or do they both have the same pickup route?

I suppose I could always buy a black hardware one, as I'd get the headstock hardware I like, I could replace the bridge with a chrome badass or similar, and the stock pickups are at least passable until I upgrade. Then the only difference is the knobs, and if I really wanted to locate 3 vintage RI epi knobs I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult. Question: is this one (black hardware one) the korean version, which I would personally imagine to be better?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1324339' date='Aug 2 2011, 03:06 PM']Which custom pickups are you intending to fit?

The basic model JAEBirds use SD SSB-4 pickups with a chromed plate stuck to the top of the black pickup cover.[/quote]

Not decided as yet. EMGs, Bartolinis and I suppose also SDs would be considered. I'd pick MECs if they weren't so goddamn expensive.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1324291' date='Aug 2 2011, 02:27 PM']Gibson, Epiphone and Tokai Thunderbirds are all completely different instruments in terms of construction, woods, hardware and electronics. About the only thing they have in common is a similar body shape. Which one is best is completely down to personal preference.[/quote]

Completely true - having tried all 3, I like the Tokai.

I would like to replace the Pup's - and wait for more posts on this subject with anticip....ation!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1324297' date='Aug 2 2011, 02:31 PM']You are right on the Alpine front, I didn't read the thing properly (I do know it's Alpine but wasn't paying attention and picked a word beginning with A that sounded cold and white!)

I have a problem, in that I very much like the look of the silver hardware on the body, but love the look of the black hardware on the headstock, I'm considering making some b*****d child of the two, though not set on that.

As for the pups, I think I'd be replacing them regardless (though there is a vague chance of me keeping them if I bought the non-terrible vintage guitar pickuped one). So I guess this then begs the question, which of them will best fit the custom pickups I want to put in, or do they both have the same pickup route?

I suppose I could always buy a black hardware one, as I'd get the headstock hardware I like, I could replace the bridge with a chrome badass or similar, and the stock pickups are at least passable until I upgrade. Then the only difference is the knobs, and if I really wanted to locate 3 vintage RI epi knobs I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult. Question: is this one (black hardware one) the korean version, which I would personally imagine to be better?[/quote]

The black hardware one is the Korean version - no longer made, so you are at the mercy of eBay, unless one pops up here at a sensible price.

There's a clip on Youtube of a standard Epi Tbird fitted with SD SSBs, but the guy does say they're not a drop in replacement. There were some Bartolinis, iirc, that were designed as drop ins for an Epi TBird, don't know how good they are though. I think the routing would be the same between a standard Epi and a Korean white, but I don't know what they might have done on the new chinese ones.

I'm picking up my new Alpine White T-Bird on saturday afternoon so on Sunday, I'll take the pick ups out, measure the routes and take pictures then put a post on here. Just so you know, I'm getting the chinese one with the chrome hardware and the guitar humbuckers.

If I'm being totally honest, I'm not really too bothered about how good it sounds as I just wanted something different and when I tried it out the other day, my bands guitarist told me it really suited me so I've bought it. Plus, it felt nice to play (needs a set up but meh, I can do that easily).

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1326325' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:58 PM']I'm picking up my new Alpine White T-Bird on saturday afternoon so on Sunday, I'll take the pick ups out, measure the routes and take pictures then put a post on here. Just so you know, I'm getting the chinese one with the chrome hardware and the guitar humbuckers.

If I'm being totally honest, I'm not really too bothered about how good it sounds as I just wanted something different and when I tried it out the other day, my bands guitarist told me it really suited me so I've bought it. Plus, it felt nice to play (needs a set up but meh, I can do that easily).[/quote]

Awesome, big help thanks man :)

I've been in touch with my friends at dv247 who have put a request into Gibson about the matter, I will report back when I hear, though have been warned that Gibbo are useless and can often take up to 4 months to respond!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1326572' date='Aug 4 2011, 10:14 AM']Awesome, big help thanks man :)

I've been in touch with my friends at dv247 who have put a request into Gibson about the matter, I will report back when I hear, though have been warned that Gibbo are useless and can often take up to 4 months to respond![/quote]

"useless" and "take months to respond" are some phrases I've heard in conjunction with DV247 before...!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1326613' date='Aug 4 2011, 10:38 AM']"useless" and "take months to respond" are some phrases I've heard in conjunction with DV247 before...![/quote]

My first experience of them was winning my Hartke at their bass expo with Frankie Bello and David Ellefson a month or so ago. Winning £830 of Hartke has me on very jovial first name terms with a bunch of them, and given I've seen their prices, I've already gone to them to buy a coupla bits. The guy I know there responded within half an hour of my email and sent it on to someone with bass experience who also replied within half an hour, and messaged Gibson on my behalf, can't say fairer than that tbh!

Mind you, they do use DPD, who are without a doubt the worst postal service I have had the misfortune to experience - lying drivers who are too mentally retarded to ring a doorbell, hmmm.....

[quote name='dc2009' post='1326629' date='Aug 4 2011, 10:54 AM']My first experience of them was winning my Hartke at their bass expo with Frankie Bello and David Ellefson a month or so ago. Winning £830 of Hartke has me on very jovial first name terms with a bunch of them, and given I've seen their prices, I've already gone to them to buy a coupla bits. The guy I know there responded within half an hour of my email and sent it on to someone with bass experience who also replied within half an hour, and messaged Gibson on my behalf, can't say fairer than that tbh![/quote]

From what I can gather people's experiences with them tend to either be overwhelmingly positive or negative. Unfortunately my own fall into the latter camp---but sounds like they're giving you some great service so I can't blame you for buying from them!