Why become a member? ×

Where is all the decent gear ?

Guest bassman7755

I use all the gear in my sig when I play live, some is high end, some isn't :)

Out of all the local gigs I've been to, I've seen one Genz Benz user, one Barefaced user, and a guy who has a Mesa/Ampeg setup. Most other players play Fender/Squire/Ibanez/ESP basses through Trace Elliot, Peavey, Ashdown, Behringer, or the odd Marshall amp

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1322477' date='Jul 31 2011, 08:38 PM']I cringe when I have seen people popping their lead out without muting it, and hear my amp making all sorts of buzzing and crackling :)[/quote]

Due to previous experiences, every single time someone asks to use my amp, I go over, plug it in for them, and tell them to touch nothing but the master volume. I'm quite lucky in that they remember not to absent mindedly pull the lead out at the end :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' post='1322457' date='Jul 31 2011, 08:23 PM']Also a £300 bass with decent fresh strings on it will sound better than a 3k one with dead ones.[/quote]

Oh and it helps if everyone has well intoned tuned instruments. I'm ultra fussy about that - I intone my bass using fretted notes only and always tune to fretted notes usually around the 3rd - 5th frets.

And actually I think that all these things - careful tuning, decently set up and sounding gear etc, do make a difference that most punters can hear even if they couldnt tell you why it sounded better. When you think about it people brought up on a diet of perfectly setup perfectly EQ'ed instruments on commercial recordings wont help but notice at least on a subconcious level when a live band isnt up to snuff in that respect.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1322376' date='Jul 31 2011, 07:15 PM']Don't forget the other point,that most of the 'boutique' gear that is purchased is played in bedrooms and not taken out
to gigs.[/quote]

+1
I bought a combo off a guy who very kindly showed me his full Ashdown 'Mark King signature head and 4x10' rig and his brand new Status King Bass which he only ever played at home. He wasn't in a band and had no immediate plans to do so

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1322465' date='Jul 31 2011, 08:28 PM']the most I get is "nice playing mate"[/quote]

I'm willing to speculate that you would get less of those comments if your sound was poor even if you played exactly the same.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1322494' date='Jul 31 2011, 08:59 PM']I have had 'nice playing' comments even when I'm sure I was completely inaudible. I think it's because it LOOKED like I was playing something complicated :)[/quote]

He was probably listening to the guitar player and thought it was you :)

Have to smile when somebody says " You get a good sound out of that-what is it?" When my amp volume is at 1 or 2 & DI'd through the house PA.

Only happens now and again though, like ( I hope) most Bass Players, I dont get talked to all that often. lol. I'm nothing special as a player, so I cant help but wonder if its cos they cant think of anything else nice to say.

Edited by Slipperydick

My high-end gear is for my convenience, not the audience's. It makes a massive difference to me being able to carry a 2x12 Neo in one hand, instead of finding someone to help me struggle with the 4x10 Peavey which preceded it.

There was one sound man who said "EBS, MarkBass, I just knew that was going to sound great", but then he's a bassist too.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1322522' date='Jul 31 2011, 09:32 PM']My high-end gear is for my convenience, not the audience's. It makes a massive difference to me being able to carry a 2x12 Neo in one hand, instead of finding someone to help me struggle with the 4x10 Peavey which preceded it.[/quote]

Yeah that's one reason I got the Markbass stuff, sounds great too! I play for myself and as long as everything sounds good to me everyone else can get stuffed :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1322391' date='Jul 31 2011, 07:24 PM']So if you turned up for 'your average pub gig' with a Custom shop Pino Palladino or similar, let's say £2.5+ks worth - how many people would notice?[/quote]

I normally gig a 57 Vintage Re-issue Precision , have done for the past 10 years .
Recently bought Jasons CS Pino Precision ( though I would treat myself to a bit of class ) and the first gig I did with it , I was told the bass sounded '' farty '' and some-one offered to nip home to get their Arai bass for me to play in the second set . Amp is LittleMark 3 with two New York 604 cabs which sounds fantastic .
Now I just say the Pino is a cheap Squier bass and changed the strings to round wounds .
I used to have a 5 string for gigs too , but got rid of that as everybody wants you to do 5 minute solo's as they assume you are some bass god with the extra string .

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1322477' date='Jul 31 2011, 08:38 PM']I cringe when I have seen people popping their lead out without muting it, and hear my amp making all sorts of buzzing and crackling :)[/quote]

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1322484' date='Jul 31 2011, 08:47 PM']I'm quite lucky in that they remember not to absent mindedly pull the lead out at the end :)[/quote]

Okay I'm going to bite (and feel stupid). What dreadful thing would I do to my combo if I pull the lead out without turning the volume down?

[quote name='lanark' post='1322552' date='Jul 31 2011, 10:05 PM']Okay I'm going to bite (and feel stupid). What dreadful thing would I do to my combo if I pull the lead out without turning the volume down?[/quote]

If you pull your lead out at your combo, it'll probably do nothing. If you pull the lead out of your bass it'll make a loud pop and can potentially cause damage if the volume's cranked up iirc.

[quote name='lanark' post='1322552' date='Jul 31 2011, 10:05 PM']Okay I'm going to bite (and feel stupid). What dreadful thing would I do to my combo if I pull the lead out without turning the volume down?[/quote]
Do what you like to yours it's ours we are bothered about :)

Blown valves is the main issue, horns, crossovers and speakers next :)

Only had the copy thing once with the pre eb and from another bass player too, I could see him explaining to his band about how it has a 4 bolt neck and did not have the proper EB logo they were laughing about it (which was out of order anyway what's it to him if it were a copy?) but I couldn't be arsed to go over as they were super star lads who thought they were the shiz. After the gig one of their fans who strangely I know a bit and has a stingray addiction like me came back stage not to see them though but came in "Hey is that an old Stingray? I couldn't see it properly from the back of the room but the logo looked right!". He spent five minutes playing back stage and telling me all about how much he wants one (I think he now has) while his bass player mate and the band stood there, I was so glad I didn't bother sounding a dick and telling him in the first place :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I have seen a lot of high quality gear at gigs in Glasgow from 'local' bands over the years. Yes I have seen a lot of Fender basses and Ashdown and Ampeg amps cabinets, but that is pretty high quality gear that is tried and tested.

I have also seen a lot of gear that I wouldn't consider 'boutique' but rather 'harder to find in shops around Glasgow': SWR, Orange, Mesa, Aguilar, EBS.

I have had a few people ask before the gig if my Sadowsky was a 'cheap Fender copy'. Though to be fair, two out of three of those words were kinda right!

In terms of the pub scene I can only go with what I have seen in Orkney over the years. Fair amount of Trace Elliot, Ashdown and Ampeg for amps. In terms of basses I have seen a lot of Fenders, Gibsons, Musicmans and a few Warwicks.

I have never seen or heard a Hiwatt bass amp though!

To be honest, i don't really care if anyone notices my gear (although thanks to the Shuker's gorgeous coffeetableness and beautiful tone, they often do). I know it's there, and that's all that matters.

To be fair the op says decent gear, I have obviously made my camp but Fender, Gibson, Musicman, Rickys, Ibanez and Yammys through Ashdown, Trace, Peavey, Mark bass or Hartke amps in any combination would still count as decent gear in my book. I don't say that often so enjoy it before I go back to slating it all :)