Why become a member? ×

Nottingham Bash Meet

Moody

Fellow Nottingham Bass Players,

After my introduction on the 'chat, there seemed to be an idea of kicking off a Nottingham Bass Meet. I completely missed the thread so apologies.

Anyway, I think this is a corking idea and think we should make it happen.

I suppose the first thing is a venue, probably the best idea would be a 'proper' studio/meeting room place, but that is going to cost $$$ (unless someone has some friends). Now, my local pub has a restraunt upstairs that is unused, it would be free and we'd get food at half time, there is also beer downstairs ;-) Now, it's not massive, and it is in Sandiacre. It's were we do band practise on a Sunday, so it has an old PA etc (and my massive 25w practise amp!) already set up. And we can have a game of darts, poker or dominos afterwards!

So, any takers?

Good point. What date do we want then?

I'll take some pictures of the venue I mentioned tomorrow, just to give everyone an idea of size, we'll then decide it was a rubbish idea and find somewhere bigger! My other idea was to break into Rock City. Guerrilla Bass Bash!

[quote name='ped' post='152637' date='Mar 6 2008, 07:41 PM']Maybe we should have a separate bass bash forum where people can keep track. With three bashes planned, two confirmed, people might get confused![/quote]

Ped, sounds like an excellent idea, I think theres quite a lot of scope for regional get togethers along with the big one as well, which btw, I really can't wait for!!! Although I am sick and tired of the wife walking around the house going "There was this one time, at band camp.." WAGS - honestly ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Colleagues,

I've been chatting this morning with the dear Mrs Moody - she works in Performing Arts at New College Nottingham (the old Clarendon College) - We can use one of their performance spaces on Saturday 4th May (tbc - system was down) from 11:30 till 3:30pm (the college shuts at 4 on a Saturday), sadly we could not go beyond 4pm as we'd need to pay for college security. There's ample parking etc. There is a small cost involved so I'd suggest donations on the door. The space will hold 80 people in the audience and there is a stage area etc. I'm going to have a gander after work today to see what it is like, I'll try and get a couple of photos and post. It is a proper music performance space.

Sadly my initial suggestion of my local won't be able to happen - so no beer unfortunatly, although there is The Grovesnor up the road for after bashing drinking.

So, I'll throw this out there to see what everyone thinks.

I'm up for it!

And haha i'm at NCN high pavement as we speak, the clarendon performance rooms are pretty big, though they are a bit echoey. I know a pub near me with a bar downstairs and a function room upstairs of a decent size with a stage and a skittle alley out back where bands frequently practice. It's in hucknall which is on the outskirts but there's a frequent tram service from the centre of notts and several park and rides, one of which is in hucknall.

The skittle alley is £10 all day and i don't know how much the main room is but i can find out and take some photos if anyone is interested

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='Moody' post='166828' date='Mar 31 2008, 12:03 PM']I've been chatting this morning with the dear Mrs Moody - she works in Performing Arts at New College Nottingham (the old Clarendon College) - We can use one of their performance spaces on Saturday 4th May (tbc - system was down)[/quote]
It's always possible that I'm wrong, but isn't the 4th of May a Sunday?

It is indeed, it'll be May 3rd then as the college is shut (if we use NCN at all) on a Sunday. I've enclosed a couple of pictures I took last night, I'm informed that the room will be tidy, a class had literally just walked out when I got there. There is an echo in the room, put plenty of power etc. I also popped into the Grovesnor (which is open btw and very nice!!) and took one of their function room.

Grovesnor said they'd let us have the room all day for £50, they cannot do Sat 3rd May but we could do Sunday 4th.
NCN would be £40, Mrs M is going to work on the times if need be.
Or there was the other suggestion from Budget with regards to the pub in Hucknall.

So:
Grovesnor - has stairs but the room is good
NCN - all on one floor but has the "echo"

Edited by Moody

[quote name='Moody' post='167680' date='Apr 1 2008, 01:57 PM']It is indeed, it'll be May 3rd then as the college is shut (if we use NCN at all) on a Sunday. I've enclosed a couple of pictures I took last night, I'm informed that the room will be tidy, a class had literally just walked out when I got there. There is an echo in the room, put plenty of power etc. I also popped into the Grovesnor (which is open btw and very nice!!) and took one of their function room.

Grovesnor said they'd let us have the room all day for £50, they cannot do Sat 3rd May but we could do Sunday 4th.
NCN would be £40, Mrs M is going to work on the times if need be.
Or there was the other suggestion from Budget with regards to the pub in Hucknall.

So:
Grovesnor - has stairs but the room is good
NCN - all on one floor but has the "echo"[/quote]

I will go with whatever you decide. I think as you are taking the time and trouble to sort this out you should get to choose where it is personally.

Steve