Why become a member? ×

"music shop" slapping

Guest bassman7755

I agree it's down to the fact that music shops feel so intimidating you feel the need to break out your "best" stuff.

I remember going in to buy my first acoustic guitar years ago. The only song I could play well was wonderwall. That's what I played, but god did I feel out of place.

I'm dreading going in search of my first bass, I can't play anything so haven't a clue what to look for. I think this is the reason so many buy stuff online.

[quote name='bobogib' post='1321135' date='Jul 30 2011, 10:30 AM']I'm dreading going in search of my first bass, I can't play anything so haven't a clue what to look for. I think this is the reason so many buy stuff online.[/quote]
Then buy a 2nd hand one off a local basschatter - he/she'll help you see what it can do, and you'll probably get a brew to boot!

Beware!! - In the years to come the PC brigade will be on your case for "slap-ism" - unjustified attacking of players using this style - I love the sound of a slapped bass far more than, say, an overdriven/distorted pick-ed bass but we don't see these players being attacked for what is, TBH, a pretty limited technique!!

Most of the progress made on the Bass in the last 30 years or so has been through "Slappists" - I would hate to see(hear??) where would be without this style..

Long live thumb players!!!

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1321204' date='Jul 30 2011, 11:57 AM']Most of the progress made on the Bass in the last 30 years or so has been through "Slappists" - I would hate to see(hear??) where would be without this style..[/quote]

Nothing I do has been developed through "slappists". Each to their own, I like it in funk, but taken too far it's just ridiculous.

Slapping's crap.
No it's not.
Yes it is.
No it's not.
Yes it is.
No it's not.
Yes it is. It's so 1980s.
So what? It's great.
No it's not.
Yes it is.
No it's not.
Yes it is.
No it's not.
Yes it is.
[i]Ad nauseum[/i].
There y'go, thread over. :)

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' post='1321190' date='Jul 30 2011, 11:42 AM']Then buy a 2nd hand one off a local basschatter - he/she'll help you see what it can do, and you'll probably get a brew to boot![/quote]

Indeed, and you'll get excellent value for money too. Look at that LAG going on here for £550! And when I bought my Alembic Epic for £600!

Isn't this a case of "monkey see, monkey do"? After all, what do the folks who work in the music shop do as soon as they take down a bass? (apologies in advance to Pete Academy, I doubt that this applies to you).

[quote name='paul_5' post='1321390' date='Jul 30 2011, 03:47 PM']Isn't this a case of "monkey see, monkey do"? After all, what do the folks who work in the music shop do as soon as they take down a bass? (apologies in advance to Pete Academy, I doubt that this applies to you).[/quote]

I only play if they want me to demo it, and then I might slap a bit to show what the bass or amp is capable of. Generally, I explain the controls and leave them in peace.

Showing off to a customer is a no-no.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1321422' date='Jul 30 2011, 04:16 PM']Showing off to a customer is a no-no.[/quote]

Amen to that. In February of this year I saw a music shop worker 'demoing' an entry level bass to a complete newbie. She was in with her parents and they were obviously a bit intimidated (by the biggest guitar wall in Europe) and all this guy wanted to do was show off how fast he could [s]masturbate[/s] play. Didn't even show her what the controls did or what to do with the amp.

I did that after he'd gone for a cigarette and a lie down.

Tool.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1321042' date='Jul 30 2011, 04:22 AM']Just listen to them play...![/quote]
come on Chris, you know playing is subjective.. there are fantastic bassists, but the best is like saying my girlfriend is better looking than yours

[quote name='paul_5' post='1321431' date='Jul 30 2011, 04:22 PM']Amen to that. In February of this year I saw a music shop worker 'demoing' an entry level bass to a complete newbie. She was in with her parents and they were obviously a bit intimidated (by the biggest guitar wall in Europe) and all this guy wanted to do was show off how fast he could [s]masturbate[/s] play. Didn't even show her what the controls did or what to do with the amp.

I did that after he'd gone for a cigarette and a lie down.

Tool.[/quote]
Back when I still bothered trying out basses in music shops, whenever this happened and the shop worker gave me his best Wooten/Kinger/Sheehan impression before giving me the bass, I'd play 4 notes and say "nah, don't like it" and hand it back to him.

[quote name='Rich' post='1321556' date='Jul 30 2011, 06:32 PM']Back when I still bothered trying out basses in music shops, whenever this happened and the shop worker gave me his best Wooten/Kinger/Sheehan impression before giving me the bass, I'd play 4 notes and say "nah, don't like it" and hand it back to him.[/quote]

:lol: :) :)

[quote name='Rich' post='1321556' date='Jul 30 2011, 06:32 PM']Back when I still bothered trying out basses in music shops, whenever this happened and the shop worker gave me his best Wooten/Kinger/Sheehan impression before giving me the bass, I'd play 4 notes and say "nah, don't like it" and hand it back to him.[/quote]

youre not the only one - i just plonk a few notes on open strings sometimes i dont even bother with my left hand!!

usually i like to hold the bass by one of the horns and then pluck the open e and open a and feel through the wood how it resonates - you can judge a surprising amount about an instruments sound qualities by just feeling how it resonates without plugging it in :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1320414' date='Jul 29 2011, 01:30 PM']Because a lot of kids probably feel if they can't display some playing ability, the shop staff won't take them seriously or perhaps sneer at them. I think people understimate the courage it takes some people to go into a music shop.

Remember when jewellers used to have blacked out windows and an air of exclusivity in the 1970s? I would not have dared set foot in one at the time. But then Ratners came along with an air of inclusiveness and openess, so people took the leap. Same with old pubs with stained glass windows above eye level. Many now have huge clear windows so you can see in, that was to encourage women to feel safer and go into the pub.

A lot of music shops still have staff with bad attitudes, I sometimes feel like I've walked into their house.[/quote]
+1 Im 15 and im still a bit anxious to ask to try out an expensive bass because I feel that people will feel badly towards me because im to young to play it. So I used to play somthing realy fast to try to make myself look better :) Fortunately ive calmed down and I now play in my usual fasion. It also helps that my nearest shop is Mansons, who are a very helpfull bunch