Why become a member? ×

What's the chances?

Bilbo

He must really have placed a lot of pressure on the neck for that to happen ... or he had a bad case of woodworm. Either way, I know I'd be utterly bummed if that happened to my lovely Kolstein DB. Looks like this guy needs to bring a Fender bass as backup to future gigs!

Funnily enough I had the same reaction when I broke the neck of a double bass once (tho not onstage, mine took a leap down a flight of stairs). I didn't even get annoyed - just resigned myself to the repair and smiled. Very strange to see a bass body without the bridge and tailpiece on. Just wrong. I don't know why I didn't freak out - maybe it's just inevitable with an upright.

Happened to me once, though at an audition rather than a gig.

Pitched up at a studio, played some 80 tunes straight off with Rockabilly covers band, on a pretty new (CCB) bass.

4 hours in, the neck just came away in my hand and bass folded in half.

They loved it, I got the job... but at least they didn't make me bust the bass every gig.

I got a new bass too, though it was the last CCB I bought ... a long time ago now.

It must have been a sh*te (or very long) solo for everyone to cheer when the bass disintegrated....there's an almost tangible sense of relief......the drummer looks ecstatic and stands up to applaud, the singer holds the bass body up in victory "behold the end of this noodling nonsense" they cry!