Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Mag Janek Gwidzala

bigd1

[quote name='mcgraham' post='154967' date='Mar 10 2008, 10:59 PM']It was as if we never expected Janek to read this, which really isn't cool on a number of levels.

Mark[/quote]

I think that it's cool that it was typed in that way. If it was written with him in mind then maybe then opinions would have been tempered and not been as totally honest as they have been.

Having Janek pop in and "type something scathing" was mildly entertaining....

Christ! You're as sensitive as he is!

Derision of his music??

I thought most of us were in agreement that we should move on from the whole Janek thing? What ever the initial purpose of the post, we've covered some interesting ground.

Even I'm getting sick of this thread and I LOVE the sound of my own voice.

Edited by BigBeefChief

....... I miss Janek already.

He brought a light into my bass practice, a torch which I have to follow. He brought the truth and showed me the error of my ways..... :brow:

Never again shall I question the virtue of technical lessons and I accept that "modern bass improvisation" is the way to true enlightenment.

PS. Just to be fair, I'll probably buy BGM and read the article....

Edited by 7string

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='154992' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:31 PM']Even I'm getting sick of this thread and I LOVE the sound of my own voice.[/quote]
and before I get jumped on :) (even though I know you avoid them BBC). And I am afraid is just about all I can come up with having trawled through the whole saga, but at least after a difficult start [i]most[/i] seem to have got through relatively unscathed

[quote name='dlloyd' post='154988' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:25 PM']Why should he be?

This original post in this thread was based on a number of misunderstandings.

1. The magazine printed one of the exercises in semiquavers instead of quavers, making it look like Janek was saying he was playing at twice the speed he actually does.

2. The original poster in this thread somehow managed to double the tempo again in his calculation.

I've played about a little with the first couple of exercises and, while I don't think I'll ever get them to quavers at 400 bpm, I'm getting pretty comfortable with them. I can see the benefit they could give with finger independence.

Just to see what we were talking about, I put the first Hanon exercise into Finale NotePad and set it to play semiquavers at 200 bpm. It's very fast, but no faster than your average jazz guitarist plays. I then set it to the tempo the OP thought Janek was talking about (semiquavers at 800 bpm) and... yeah... that's not possible. Funny though.

Had it been a question of challenging him, I would have thought a simple question about it would have sufficed, rather than the accusations of dishonesty, followed by derision of his music.[/quote]

I think you will find my calculation was based on notes per min. 4 quavers per beat @ 400 bpm = 1600 notes per min & 8 semi-quavers per beat @ 400 bpm = 3200 notes per min

Perhaps Janek didn't help matters by not explaining the error in the magazine in his first post (the typo)

If you would care to read my original post, it was never put up as a direct question to Janek, nor was it a challenge, accusation or derision of his music. It was as I have already explained, a request of a clarification on aspects of an article he had written, to be used in open discussion, this is is it not a public Forum ?

It really is apparent some of you are not getting what a Forum/Discussion board is. It's for talking about things, in this case Bass things.

For F*$k's sake lighten up, and please read a posting before accusing/commenting.

BIGd

Edited by bigd1

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='155031' date='Mar 11 2008, 12:35 AM']Or perhaps first to "squeal like a piggy" loses?[/quote]

i should have anticipated that one.
too easy for you BBC. try harder, you dont need to go for the obvious!

It's alright guys! Lets not descend into a debate over what has already been said.

7string, I see your point about not writing it with Janek in mind and I agree, not particularly mature to colour things like that to appear like a suck up. But I [i]do[/i] think it's important to ensure that we phrase our posts such that if the person we are writing about did read them then they could take something from it. Not saying they have to like our opinion, but if you are honest and objective about what you like and don't like it'll help significantly. I did have more written out but it's too offtopic and would only serve to confuse my point.

dlloyd and bigd1, 16ths at 800bpm really would be impossible! I can understand confusion at that.

Mark

[quote name='bigd1' post='155035' date='Mar 11 2008, 12:42 AM']4 quavers per beat @ 400 bpm = 1600 notes per min & 8 semi-quavers per beat @ 400 bpm = 3200 notes per min[/quote]
there are 2 quavers per beat and 4 semi-quavers per beat.
The only conceiveable exercises that would use minims as a beat might be latin grooves or bright show twos (although I've never seen an exercise based on either, only examples). otherwise a crotchet is the beat.
it should be pointed out that one of your observations was based upon your misconception of what quavers and semi-quavers are.

Having read back through some of the posts you've made since the original one you have used a fairly shirty tone in a couple in defence of your posts, particularly [i]telling[/i] people to read before they post, in light of that sound advice perhaps you should have quoted the article correctly in relation to BPM before you posted, a simple mistake I would easily forgive. However things have gone quite a long way here and some of it on your error.
We really do need to be more careful.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote]Technique is not speed, it's not "stunt bass" ability (whatever that is), it's not something that should get in the way of the music.

Technique - TRUE TECHNIQUE - is the ability to express yourself without hinderance.[/quote]

Amen to that.

I find it wonderful to have developed technique. When I wish to demonstrate something, transcribe something, or I hear something, or even just want to jam or noodle, with others or by myself, I have little to no difficulty executing it.

Practicing technique in this way means that you almost anticipate difficult pieces that you will play in the future, rather than getting there and finding you can't do it and need to go away and practice, you get there and it just happens.

Man I want to go home and play!

Mark

Nice to see this has calmed down a bit. A few observations.

Dissing the Pro's is a reaction to others sucking up to the Pro's, a typically British reaction. Like all the grizzling that Janek wont come to play here any more - which is a really great loss as he has made the sum total of 5 (five) posts and most of those are in this thread.

I think that creative people will be creative irrespective of whether they have the technique and I guess many of the people that are in successful bands are not really great players - it is the music that matters. But despite this they can be influenced by people that do have the technique like Jamersons influence on loads of players that play a bt like Jamerson even though they dont have the technique (or the hook). McCartney is the obvious example.

Bass is not a competitive sport with medals for who can play the fastest. Although working on speed can make it easier to play at normal speeds as others have said. The trick with having all that speed and technique is to have the self discipline to only use it when required.