Why become a member? ×

Help with reading rhythms

lobematt

I've decided (or more had it pointed out to me on these forums!) that I need to be able to read music. I know the basics, as in can name the notes on the stave and I'm pretty sure I know whats what when it comes to the length of the note/rest.

I've started on session one in the Major's Bootcamp and I do ok up until the last section where the rhythms get slightly more interesting and I really struggle to put it into practice. Has anyone got any tips on how to get over this little hurdle?

Thanks!

Patience. Reading rhythms is a process that takes time and continnued practice to develop. Start with quarter notes and rests, then move onto eigth notes and rests and when you have mastered them, and only when you have mastered them, move on to 16ths. When you get onto 16th, you will soon realise that they are simply 8ths going by quicker and are actually quite easy to read. But the message is, TAKE YOUR TIME!! It will come. If you rush, you will not consolidate your learning.

That was the big obstacle for me as well. I found Rufus Reid's book 'The Evolving bassist' a godsend.

The first part of the book is all reading rhythms using open strings only, so simplifying the problem. Book plus metronome and I was sorted in a few weeks. :)

I'd advise you to what I did and download a free program called Best Practice which allows you to play back the MP3s at a slower speed without altering the pitch. Some of the Major's pieces are much too fast for amateurs like me.

Another simple exercise is to take any chart of any type in any clef and just read the rhythms (i.e. don't worry about what the notes are just their time values). Tap them out on a table top - you can do this away from your bass. Time well spent.

I used to really struggle with Rhythms, and then I went on a Cuban percussion course and spent a lot of time reading nothing but rhythms, really, really helped. After a while you just start to recognise shapes and figures and know what they're going to sound like.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try an check out one of them books, do they come with CDs?

I appreciate the comments about it taking time and to have patience but if I don't know how to do something I don't think any amount of patience will make me learn it, I think I'll just still be stuck!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1318178' date='Jul 27 2011, 12:59 PM']Another simple exercise is to take any chart of any type in any clef and just read the rhythms (i.e. don't worry about what the notes are just their time values). Tap them out on a table top - you can do this away from your bass. Time well spent.[/quote]

+1. I've also had problems with rhythms......notes individually fine, but when you get a mixture with ties it throws me. Going through a piece and tapping out the rhythm as Bilbo suggested has been a huge help.

Angie

[quote name='lobematt' post='1320135' date='Jul 29 2011, 10:17 AM']Thanks for all the replies. Tapping out the rhythm sounds like a good idea, my problem is though I don't know if I'm doing it right and theres not much point practising something wrong?

:)[/quote]

You are missing the point. Its the doing of it that you need to practice. Getting it absolutely right is not actually that important at this stage (it will quickly become obvious as things fall apart when you get it wrong, which you will). What you are doing is practicing something that you can already do but not very quickly. Reading one bar of a rhythm is not that hard. Reading two is a little harder, four starts to get tough but the real test is reading pages and pages of stuff. WHen I say look at a random chart and tap out rhythms, you are not practising 'getting it right' in the conventional sense. you are simply practising 'doing it'. As you get better at 'doing it', you can then focus on 'getting it right'.

Excellent post. I am experiencing similar frustrations at the moment. I've nailed the pitches and can sight read them with a basic rhythm at speed but as soon as they get even slightly complex I'm lost and have to stop and "work them out".

I will use the advice given above as it is clear from this, that I am trying to run before I'm able to walk.

Much appreciated.

Dave

I can highly recommend this site-

[url="http://www.practicesightreading.com/"]http://www.practicesightreading.com/[/url]

[quote name='lobematt' post='1320135' date='Jul 28 2011, 11:17 PM']Tapping out the rhythm sounds like a good idea, my problem is though
I don't know if I'm doing it right and theres not much point practising something wrong?[/quote]
A midi file which plays each random, customly created exercise is provided so you can check yourself.
Very cool.

[quote name='GonzoBass' post='1325746' date='Aug 3 2011, 03:13 PM']I can highly recommend this site-

[url="http://www.practicesightreading.com/"]http://www.practicesightreading.com/[/url]

A midi file which plays each random, customly created exercise is provided so you can check yourself.
Very cool.[/quote]

Just after I've ordered a book too haha. Sounds good mate, I'll defo check it out

You will also find that rhythms you can already play are good to look at if you have not seen the chart before. I remember seeing the bass chart for Zeps Whole Lotta Love for the first time. Not a hard bass line to learn or play but when I saw the chart for the first time I learnt alot from tapping my foot on the down beats and reading how the rhythm was written.