Why become a member? ×

Hadrien Feraud MONSTER SOLO

chardbass

Slightly off topic, but when I see someone playing in that way with a ramp fitted, my thought is always that the strings must be almost touching the frets all the way up the neck and a light touch is required to stop it choking or buzzing hence the ramp. Am I thinking along the right lines or barking up the wrong tree? Apologies for hijacking the thread

I always find the "I don't like that kind of bass playing" when applied in a general sort of way a bit weird. I happily listen to groove stuff, aggressive stuff, dub stuff, virtuoso pyrotechnic stuff, whatever; I either like it or I don't and whether it's busy or simple, traditional or out there has no bearing on it for me.

I think Hadrien is a tremendous player; I love his tone, fluidity and articulation. He probably has my favourite solo tone of the fusion guys. I do find his music a bit fuzaky sometimes (this from a big Mahavishnu/RTF fan) - I only watched part of his set the last time he was at Bass Day - but stuff like this I love.

it makes me smile when such threads come in, and there [b]always [/b]will be someone who will come in and say something like: "Well, this is ok, but I much prefer <Larry Graham, less notes> (insert anything you want) over this".

I mean, come on, it's like when someone offers you some pizza with ham, and you say:[i] This is ok, thanks, but I prefer chocolate with hazelnuts over this[/i]....... What the f*ck? It's just two different things you cant really compare.

Back to the topic, it's one of the most interesting Hadrien's solos I've heard so far. He's a complete mutha regarding facility on instrument.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='chardbass' post='1314508' date='Jul 24 2011, 12:30 PM']I thought 15/8 sounded a bit arsey in the description. It's a bar of 4 and a bar of 7/8 which isn't the trickiest time sig for guys of this calibre to feel. I guess that's where Chris Coleman is having the most fun tho.
Interesting responses and no outright flaming from anyone- for sure he isn't to everyones's taste.
On watching it again it's his fluidity on some of those runs that blows me away.[/quote]

Well, Coleman has no problem with that 15/8, but check out Hadrien - how many times did he actually outline "1" rather than playing a 4/4 idea over that?
I mean, it's like robbing a listener - in this case you can play in 2434/857 signature, and it won't matter if you pull 4/4 stuff, man :)

Edited by Faithless

I couldn't listen to it all - not my bag. What I heard did have its moments though. But I can recognise that he's a serious talent, to be able to play like that, totally off the cuff - and to keep it interesting for people who do genuinely love that kind of music - wish I could do that!

I often don't like this sort of thing...

I like this! It has fun, life and personality in it which I have not heard from the things I've come across before (I choose those words carefully because I always suspect that people that achieve as much as HF has frequently HAVE something that will come together with the enormous hard work at some point)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='fender73' post='1320867' date='Jul 29 2011, 11:34 PM']Impressive i guess - not my bag, but impressive phrasing. My issue is that it's all been done before...[/quote]

Interesting observation - and who, do you think, done THIS before?
Just curious.

Laimis

Truth be told, I'm not sure if I really like this or utterly hate it. Bits of it are great, bits of it, less so. This is so far removed from what I do I don't know what to say about it. Do I like it because it's unlike me or hate it for the same reason?

This is the Marmite reaction which I'm sure lots of folk who have watched it have thought in some way or other. It certainly can't be said that he's talentless or can't play "properly" whatever that means....

[quote name='Faithless' post='1320882' date='Jul 29 2011, 09:48 PM']Interesting observation - and who, do you think, done THIS before?
Just curious.

Laimis[/quote]

Hi

More a general comment really - It's like slapping chop videos that people post - no doubt there's some talented people out there and most if not all the videos are impressive, but as i've matured as a player, i've moved more towards the less is more approach and concentrating on the feel of the tune and the phrasing (yes i KNOW it's a cliche)

Just IMHO of course - not taking anything away from anyone's clips at all.

As for this thread - John Pattitucci/Wooten/Jeff Berlin springs to mind to name a few.

Love the diversity of Bass these days - just have my own tastes.

Edited by fender73

Cool interview with Hadrien here with Janek Gwidala - they have a great jam at the end.

He's a very laid back guy Hadrien and I personally think he's just one of those payers, that can do this stuff effortlessly, OK it's not always the best thing you've ever heard but no one's perfect - I think he gets labelled the chops guy for obvious reasons but he's a deeply groovy bassist and I think we've yet to hear the best from him - he's still insanely young for a guy with his talent - but he's light years ahead of a lot of people regarding technical and harmonic abilities on the bass... I dig him and look forward to hearing his new album - whenever it's finished:

[url="http://gwizmon.podbean.com/2011/02/25/hadrien-feraud-video-interview-part-2/"]http://gwizmon.podbean.com/2011/02/25/hadr...terview-part-2/[/url]

Like others have said - if this were on a sax or trumpet no one would bat an eyelid - since it's played on the bass with such facility etc it is exceptional - BUT there are a zillion other players out there, just as good who play differently - it's all about taste at the end of the day...

[quote name='lowdown' post='1313651' date='Jul 23 2011, 11:18 AM']I like it, and think they seem to be having a load of fun.
However......
There will be people on this forum who will want you removed from Basschat for posting that link, accuse you of having a tash, bad clothes,
Demand you hand all your Basses over to the Police, and your family taken into care.
You have to ask yourself is it worth the risk? or do you feel lucky?

Garry[/quote]

Lol. Yeah Garry. Think I got away quite lightly on this one considering I am guilty as accused

I still think it's a good un :)

I think it's probably fair to say that the guy can groove...

What amazes me is his incredibly light touch. He has tiny little fingers, his action is obviously very low and his strings light gauge - but he still gets a load of tone there...

OK, it gets dull after a few minutes, but that doesn't make it any less impressive.