Why become a member? ×

The $55,000 Status bass.

Kiwi

[quote name='Conan' post='1307993' date='Jul 18 2011, 03:46 PM']It isn't. Just because he wants it to be, doesn't make it so!

He wants forty grand-ish for a bass, and won't even deliver it?!?![/quote]

Thanks, thought I was missing something crucial such as it being made from holy wood from the cross or some such surprising value raising attribute.

What would a sensible price for this be, anyone ?

[quote name='Danbass7' post='1308602' date='Jul 18 2011, 11:14 PM']Thanks, thought I was missing something crucial such as it being made from holy wood from the cross or some such surprising value raising attribute.

What would a sensible price for this be, anyone ?[/quote]

Basses this rare are difficult to gauge. Anywhere from about 8-20k (pounds) seems reasonable, depending on the market, interest, condition, and any potential history attached to the bass that you can prove or not.

As someone who's got one, I'm probably going to come across as trying to justify my purchase, but here goes. Naturally, I'm biased, but I'll try and be reasonably objective.

Is that bass worth $55K? Er, no. It's got no providence and frankly hasn't been well maintained. The fact that the pickup screws and bridge are all rusted up to hell and back bears this out.

Is it ugly? Depends on taste. Fair enough if you think so. I find single cut basses look a bit silly, but I've never played one and they probably sound great.

Is it a design disaster? No. The upper wing (if you wear it at the right height) provides a nice ledge for putting your elbow on which relaxes your wrist. Secondly, it weighs nothing. Silddx, I invite you to pop round to mine to try it if you want, you might change your mind. :)

Now for the bad points. Well, the points actually at the bottom. Hockey stick headstock can be a bit dangerous to say the least. It's quite difficult to get a passive type tone out of it, but hey, that's not why you'd buy this is it? :) It's really ludicrously long what with the headstock. That's probably the main downside.

I paid £4K for mine new in 2005 and I was skint for a year. I don't and will never regret it. I would say that a reasonable price would be £8K - £17K depending on circumstances and if it's in good nick. Before you all shout at me, consider this. There is only 38 that exist and 6 of them are probably owned by Hard Rock Cafe's. The instrument is associated with (arguably) one of the most iconic bass players who ever lived.

But, for those of you who think it's going to sound like crap because of it's aesthetic appearance, believe me, it doesn't. It's brilliant. If you like Status instruments (and I do appreciate that even this is an acquired taste) it's just the best.

For those of you who think it's over priced but have £5k kicking about, they sold all Entwistle's basses at Sotheby's and if I recall correctly, all the touring buzzards were sold for £20K. In other words, LESS THAN THEY COST NEW. Now of course prices have somewhat inflated. I shudder to think how much Gareth paid for his (as his is one of John's), but it's fair to say, insurance companies are making a killing on the pair of us now....

As for the Warwick buzzard. Pfft. Weighs a ton, ludicrously wide neck and rubbish circuit. Neck dives like a whale. I wouldn't pay more than £800 for one.

Ultimately, it's only worth what people are prepared to pay for it. Were it to be for sale, mine is naturally worth the £35K!! :D If anyone knows of any billionaire bass players that are in the market... :lol:

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='1308784' date='Jul 19 2011, 08:50 AM']As for the Warwick buzzard. Pfft. Weighs a ton, ludicrously wide neck and rubbish circuit. Neck dives like a whale.[/quote]

I read all of your post and bought it all. As much as I hate the look of this one (though I do like normal statuses), I completely agree with what you've said about it and the price, and the price of the one in question.

However, the bit I've left in quotes had me in stitches, particularly the last part. Tempted to put it in my sig/the famous quotes thread....

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='1308784' date='Jul 19 2011, 08:50 AM']As someone who's got one, I'm probably going to come across as trying to justify my purchase, but here goes. Naturally, I'm biased, but I'll try and be reasonably objective.

Is that bass worth $55K? Er, no. It's got no providence and frankly hasn't been well maintained. The fact that the pickup screws and bridge are all rusted up to hell and back bears this out.

Is it ugly? Depends on taste. Fair enough if you think so. I find single cut basses look a bit silly, but I've never played one and they probably sound great.

Is it a design disaster? No. The upper wing (if you wear it at the right height) provides a nice ledge for putting your elbow on which relaxes your wrist. Secondly, it weighs nothing. Silddx, I invite you to pop round to mine to try it if you want, you might change your mind. :P

Now for the bad points. Well, the points actually at the bottom. Hockey stick headstock can be a bit dangerous to say the least. It's quite difficult to get a passive type tone out of it, but hey, that's not why you'd buy this is it? :) It's really ludicrously long what with the headstock. That's probably the main downside.

I paid £4K for mine new in 2005 and I was skint for a year. I don't and will never regret it. I would say that a reasonable price would be £8K - £17K depending on circumstances and if it's in good nick. Before you all shout at me, consider this. There is only 38 that exist and 6 of them are probably owned by Hard Rock Cafe's. The instrument is associated with (arguably) one of the most iconic bass players who ever lived.

But, for those of you who think it's going to sound like crap because of it's aesthetic appearance, believe me, it doesn't. It's brilliant. If you like Status instruments (and I do appreciate that even this is an acquired taste) it's just the best.

For those of you who think it's over priced but have £5k kicking about, they sold all Entwistle's basses at Sotheby's and if I recall correctly, all the touring buzzards were sold for £20K. In other words, LESS THAN THEY COST NEW. Now of course prices have somewhat inflated. I shudder to think how much Gareth paid for his (as his is one of John's), but it's fair to say, insurance companies are making a killing on the pair of us now....

As for the Warwick buzzard. Pfft. Weighs a ton, ludicrously wide neck and rubbish circuit. Neck dives like a whale. I wouldn't pay more than £800 for one.

Ultimately, it's only worth what people are prepared to pay for it. Were it to be for sale, mine is naturally worth the £35K!! :) If anyone knows of any billionaire bass players that are in the market... :D[/quote]

MB1. :lol:
+Twelvety!

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1307990' date='Jul 18 2011, 03:44 PM']Are you sure??? - IMO the Warwick Dolphin is probably the best design they have[/quote]

+1. I loved my '91 (not so much the '96) and wouldn't have got rid of it if it had been about 3 or 4 lbs lighter.

FWIW I like the Status Buzzard too. Looks like the bass Batman would play. :) I'd love to try one as it may be the only Status known to man that works for me ergonomically, although I rather hope it wouldn't be as I could never afford one in a million years.

The Buzzard has always been my favourite of the more left-field bass shapes... I'd take one of these over a flying V or a BC Rich any day. Wouldn't want the Warwick version though, not after seeing what JAE did to one of their Buzzards...