Why become a member? ×

Will this be suitable for my gigs?

Evil Undead

I know this is a bit of a noobish question, but I'm wanting to get my hands on a lightweight amp for gigging - I love my GK cab but back problems are forcing me to downsize.

So I'm looking at either the Markbass Minimark combo, or the Markbass Mini CMD 121P.

What I need to know is, will either of these be suitable for gigging? I only play very small pub gigs, classic rock and punk covers.

I would say the CMD 121P "should" be ok. It will depend on how loud the band are, PA support etc but ive seen a few pub bands using them.

I used to play In a Weller/Jam tribute band, as well as doing weddings etc with a MAG300 C115 combo without too much trouble and no PA support ad the CMD is louder than that.
Its a bit pricey though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1303871' date='Jul 14 2011, 06:57 PM']I would say the CMD 121P "should" be ok. It will depend on how loud the band are, PA support etc but ive seen a few pub bands using them.

I used to play In a Weller/Jam tribute band, as well as doing weddings etc with a MAG300 C115 combo without too much trouble and no PA support ad the CMD is louder than that.
Its a bit pricey though.[/quote]

Yeah it's definitely pricey. Crazily so. But I've gotta look after my back and can't put a price on that.

I unfortunately will be selling all of my gear apart from my main bass to fund this thing!

I don't think we're terribly loud. The drummer isn't mic'd, and the guitarists use their combos. The singer has his own PA, and it's not huge.

I currently use a Hartke HA2500 through a GK 210 cab, and my volume is always set to 6 on both preamps, and 6 on the master volume.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1303879' date='Jul 14 2011, 07:07 PM']What GK cab do you use at the moment? There's nothing else out there that sounds like them.

I recently swapped from the RBH cabs to the Neos, they still sound great (more naturally trebly) and I'd happily recommend them, light too.[/quote]

+1

Just got a Neo 412, amazing thing.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1303896' date='Jul 14 2011, 07:31 PM']Would your back extend to a CMD 102p? I find it can cover everything I need (so far anyway).[/quote]

I certainly had a look at that one, it looks and sounds awesome. Tried one out in the local music store. However, it's the same weight as the cab that I use now and struggle with.

Generally, whenever I`ve been to see a band play in a pub, and the bassist has had a great sound, invariably it`s been a little Markbass combo sat in the corner that has sounded so good. No idea which model has been used, but it`s a common theme - Markbass just seems to sound good, and plenty loud enough for pub gigs.

I agree. I love them. The only thing that slays me is the price.

How about this? 350W without an extension cab, 33lbs, and over £300 less than the markbass

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gallien-krueger-mb-210-bass-guitar-amp-combo--70248"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gallien-krueg...mp-combo--70248[/url]

I used to own a Mark Bass 121P - I always used it with a New york 121 matching cab as a lightweight 500w rig and that was loud enough for anything but on it's own I would say you were on the cusp if playing with a loud drummer if you want to be heard with more than just midrangefrequencies. It's perfect for quieter setups but in a loud rock band I personally think you would need the extension cab and that makes it a very expensive rig.

I now use a Mark Bass head with a Barefaced Compact as this is in fact a lighter rig but just as loud - I also have back problems so nothing can be too heavy in my setup.

Yes, the 121P will do exactly what you are asking for with ease. I've lost count of the " can't believe you fill this room using such a small combo" type comments.
I bought mine for double bass gigs initially but now use it for everything.
I'd like to get an extra cab at some point but I can honestly say I've never needed one to date.
Given portability & great tone, I think the price is fair.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1303864' date='Jul 14 2011, 06:50 PM']....I'm looking at either the Markbass Minimark combo, or the Markbass Mini CMD 121P....will either of these be suitable for gigging? I only play very small pub gigs, classic rock and punk covers....[/quote]
Unless you play very quietly, I don't think rigs this small will cut it.

A Markbass amp is a good place to start but you need more from the cab. I'd look at a Barefaced Compact. It's powerful enough for any gig you'll want to do and only weighs 26lb.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1304719' date='Jul 15 2011, 01:42 PM']Unless you play very quietly, I don't think rigs this small will cut it.[/quote]

I'd tend to agree. The 102 combo is great but for a loud drummer, you'll need another cab.
You might be able to get the 121 combo to work ..again with another speaker.
Depends on your volume. Combos pushed hard tend to lose a lot but the MB amp is desgined to push cabs to 500w so this is better
than the single speaker combos
Have to say...not a fan of one speaker doing it all, though. It doesn't work for me.

After a good bit more research, I put a deposit down on a GK MB210 combo. 350W at 8 ohms, expandable with another cab to 500W. My wallet won't allow me to get the another cab yet but it seems that this will be fine for the little gigs I play. And is 33 lbs and under £500! Fits all my criteria :)

Good move?

Hopefully a good move. :) I like GK gear & the RB700 combo was one of the main contenders on my list (as was it in seperates).
Certainly a very light 2x10 combo. You'll need to report back in a month after it's had a bit of a run through. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1304910' date='Jul 15 2011, 05:29 PM']Hopefully a good move. :) I like GK gear & the RB700 combo was one of the main contenders on my list (as was it in seperates).
Certainly a very light 2x10 combo. You'll need to report back in a month after it's had a bit of a run through. :)[/quote]

I certainly will.

My existing cab is GK and I love the tone, so this should be just as good. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1305286' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:31 PM']I think MB gear is a few levels up on GK, but If you like the GK sound, then sure, good move.[/quote]

I agree. I tried to replace my SA450 with a GK1001RBII a few years ago but found the GK both quieter and thinner sounding. I've not tried thier cabs though.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1305286' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:31 PM']I think MB gear is a few levels up on GK, but If you like the GK sound, then sure, good move.[/quote]

I agree. But so expensive. I can't justify dropping £700-£850 on a small combo, but £475 is more manageable.

I totally disagree. It's a different sound, I wouldn't say either one was "better" though.

Dave, I'm really surprised that you found the RB thin sounding, I've had the 700 and the 2001 and both were anything but thin. GK are known to be good on the volume front too, maybe there was a fault with the one you tried or the cab?

Evil, I don't think the MB combo is going to sound like your BLX cab, it'll be more articulate and have more top end. They're more than capable with the beef though if you dial it in. The top end GK cabs are the Neos and the RBHs which are very different, the BLX is the budget versions of the RBH and the MB combos are similar to the MB heads and neo cabs (though with a few price cuts here and there). It's been a while since I've used the BLX cabs though so I can't member exactly how they fair, the MB combo should be a big step up in overall sound quality though.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1305296' date='Jul 15 2011, 10:42 PM']I agree. But so expensive. I can't justify dropping £700-£850 on a small combo, but £475 is more manageable.[/quote]

Understandable... but I would think you could get a MB 102 combo for £550-600 on here.