Why become a member? ×

Which radio mic?

Steevo

Looking to change my Kam KWM11 mics and get something that's less prone to dropping out. Are there any good value options out there around the £100-150 mark? Would be very happy to accept something good quality but used if anyone's got one knocking around.

thanks

As with most things in life - The more you can spend the better the gear will be.
My recommendation is save up and get some Sennheiser Evolution stuff. It is [i]REALLY[/i] good.
Also, check that the stuff you are getting/buying will be OK after the digital switchover next year.

Cheers,
Jon

We have a Trantec mic/transmitter/receiver set that was @ £150 & seems decent enough for the money (Certainly a good deal better than KAM, having some of their guff forced upon me).

Sennheiser & Shure are two of the biggest brands, but what you'll get for £150, I don't know. Might be paying for a name at that price?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1289033' date='Jul 1 2011, 02:01 PM']...Might be paying for a name at that price?[/quote]

Possibly a bit but the Sennheiser G2/G3 equipment was designed from the ground up to be the best sounding & performing it can be for the money.
For silly money prices take a look at the Sennheiser 3000 & 5000 series gear, but then it's that price for a reason - It's top end pro RF equipment and the best at what it does.

Don't go with the Sennheiser Freeport... it's basically a badged Toa unit... look at Trantec if you are going to spend that sort of money.

If you can afford to go to Sennheiser 100 series then do so, if not, have a look at Audio Technica, Shure, JTS, Clock Audio for around the £250-350 mark

We used this after throwing away a regular Sm58 radio mic..
[url="http://www.images2.co.uk/Sound_Equipment/Sorted_By_Brand.Shure_Sound/SLX2_-_SM58_UHF_HANDHELD_TWIN_ANTENNA_RADIO_MICROPHONE_SYSTEM_SU708600.html"]http://www.images2.co.uk/Sound_Equipment/S...M_SU708600.html[/url]

Chalk and cheese and blows the other unit out of the window... we can't quite work out why..but it surely did..!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1294455' date='Jul 6 2011, 10:45 AM']We used this after throwing away a regular Sm58 radio mic..
[url="http://www.images2.co.uk/Sound_Equipment/Sorted_By_Brand.Shure_Sound/SLX2_-_SM58_UHF_HANDHELD_TWIN_ANTENNA_RADIO_MICROPHONE_SYSTEM_SU708600.html"]http://www.images2.co.uk/Sound_Equipment/S...M_SU708600.html[/url]

Chalk and cheese and blows the other unit out of the window... we can't quite work out why..but it surely did..!![/quote]

Sorry, just to check - you're saying that the SLX4 is the better unit? What did you have before, a wired SM58 or the PGX version?

[quote name='Bankai' post='1294893' date='Jul 6 2011, 04:12 PM']The PGX is the budget version of the transmitter/receiver.

Same way as the PG58 is the budget of SM58.[/quote]

I thought PGW was the budget version, then PGX, SLX, ULX?

You need to be very careful when buying radio equipment at the moment due to a recent change in the frequency band setup in the UK.

Google this for more detailed information, but the basic situation is that there is only one usable LICENCE-FREE frequency band for radio mics in the UK at the moment called "Channel 70" and this lies between 863.100 and 864.900 MHz.

This band has enough space for 4 different frequencies (i.e. you can use 4 different transmitters set to different frequencies within this band without the trasmitters interfering with each other). A transmitter is any device that transmits in this band - a mic, a wirelss guitar transmitter etc.

This can be a problem if there is a karaoke pub next door to your gig with 2 radio mics as they may well share the same frequency band as your equipment and could potentially interfere.

To go outwith Channel 70, which is desirable isolate your equipment from other users or if you have a need for more than 4 tranmsitters, you need to purchase a license. You can be prosecuted if you operate radio equipment outside Channel 70 in the UK.

The reason this is important is that some older second hand gear, or gear designed for other countries , may use frequencies other than Channel 70 and you could unwittingly find yourself using illegal radio equipment.

The body that regulates this can be found here -

[url="http://www.jfmg.co.uk/"]JFMG[/url]

Always check the operating frequency carefully before buying any radio gear, especially second hand stuff. Lots of people have been offloading high quality older gear that operates outwith Channel 70 at bargain prices because they know it is no longer legal to use in the UK.

[quote name='BOD2' post='1303705' date='Jul 14 2011, 04:28 PM']...Always check the operating frequency carefully before buying any radio gear, especially second hand stuff. Lots of people have been offloading high quality older gear that operates outwith Channel 70 at bargain prices because they know it is no longer legal to use in the UK.[/quote]

Just a note that outside channel 70 is available for licensing but not everywhere in the UK. It is defo a question for JFMG.
Channel 38 is now becoming the preferred channel but a 'shared' license is required for that.
Have a ganders at: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10362"]THIS THREAD[/url] for more info.

Cheers,
Jon

Edited by jonthebass