Why become a member? ×

Looking for new bass with no pickguard

Jock

Hi,

Just recently returned to playing after a long breakand have been lurking for a wee bit. This is my first post so be gentle.

Anyway, I have always loved the look of the Pbass body but back when I was a kid I couldnt afford a fender or any other quality bass. So I ended up with a Marlin Sidewinder that was my pride and joy. This bass doesnt seen to get much love these days but I learned to play and gigged it for around 6 years untill it was damaged in a house flood.

I now have some serious GAS and Im in the market for a second bass to keep my Ibanez SR500 company. This is a broad outline of what im looking for:

Black telecaster/Pbass style body
bolt on neck with matching headstock and dark wood fingerboard
P/J pickups (undecided on model/maker)
black hardware
NO pickguard so needs to be rear routed

This bass is the closest Ive come to finding my Ideal bass...

[attachment=83687:JAzzSpecfront.jpg]

Its for sale at Bass direct for £600 but Im not too sure about the quality of the paintwork and potentially eroded hardware.

I am also prepared to source parts to self assemble a bass but after extensive searching I still cannot find a rear routed body that will accommodate P/J pickups. Even a crappy old Marlin sidewinder body would be a start!

Your collective wisdom would be appreciated

Thanks

Jock

[quote name='charic' post='1286560' date='Jun 29 2011, 03:55 PM']That looks rather shoddy at £600 tbh

Browse the 2nd hand market here and you'll find much nicer[/quote]

Yes I totally agree with you charic. I had to magnify the picture to see it more clearly.

krazie_olie- Ive never liked the jbass shape, I dont know why. I suppose we all have different taste and bass shape is no different.

The duff McKagan sig bass is actually a reissue of the 80s bass I posted above. Shame about the price and colour.

There was a couple of them on ebay this week but their condition was P### poor for the price.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1288105' date='Jun 30 2011, 07:05 PM']Although not exactly the shape you are looking for, the Yamaha BB414 (or 415) would meet all your other criterea.

G.[/quote]

+1 Covers a broad range looks great and is built like a tank.

I reckon Ibanez probably do something close?

My GSR190 (entry level bass) is black, reversed P and J pups, no scratchplate and is vaguely precision shaped, bolt on neck, black headstock and rosewood fingerboard. Pretty much everything you wanted except for the black hardware, which could easily be swapped.

It also plays superbly and sounds great.

Pics [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136951&hl=gsr190"]here[/url]