Why become a member? ×

Considering a new bass

krazy_olie

Hello!
After years of being entirely content with my bass I think it might be time to add another.
Currently have a g&l l-2000 tribute which is a tone king so have no intention of selling, but it can be a bit unwieldy . It's quite big, heavy and the neck is quite wide so looking for something a bit more ergonomic and easier on my fingers and back.

A jazz of sorts might fit the bill with the slim neck, and the classic jazz sound is the tone I can't come close to at the moment. Still usually fairly big and heavy instruments. Annoyingly it looks like the jaguar has been discontinued, I thoroughly enjoyed trying one out even if it did sound a touch thin to my ears (most things sound thin compared to the g&l though). Could look for one on the used market maybe. The classic vibes appear to be a hit, basswood body should make it light(ish)

Ibanez soundgears are a pleasure to play, I tried an sr500 when I was last looking and it was great to play on but I don't remember it sound particularly brilliant, was a long time ago but I think I managed to get a decent tone running it in passive mode.

Beyond that I'm not entirely sure what else to look at

Will look at anything between 300-700 I think, new or used.

Post your suggestions!

Thanks, Olie

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1285382' date='Jun 28 2011, 04:12 PM']No bass collection is ever complete without:
1) Fender jazz
2) Fender precision
3) MusicMan Thingray
4) Rickenbacker 4001/3
5) Decent Yamaha workhorse
6) Custom Fodera 5-string.
Now its just a question of which order you get them in.[/quote]

I'm 3/6 never going to have the Fodera though.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1285382' date='Jun 28 2011, 04:12 PM']No bass collection is ever complete without:
1) Fender jazz
2) Fender precision
3) MusicMan Thingray
4) Rickenbacker 4001/3

I've had four out of the six (several of each in fact), will likely never have a Fodera and haven't ever tried a yam that I liked...maybe one of the ones that myung used to play might be ok I suppose?

[quote]Ibanez soundgears are a pleasure to play, I tried an sr500 when I was last looking and it was great to play on but I don't remember it sound particularly brilliant, was a long time ago[/quote]

Try the more recent SR models - they have the same feel but a much improved tone. I was pleasantly surprised by this myself recently.

Would be interested in the jag on sale right now, I think it would be too much of an impulse buy - got some other bits to sort out before I rush to buy anything.

I should get round to trying out some more ibanez (what's the plural?) I already occasionally pick up my GSR . Doesn't look like the 500 has changed, but it was a long time ago that I played it, my perception of "good tone" is probably a bit different. There are some more expensive models available though which might be worth a look at and I shall keep my eyes peeled for those older models.

Really like the look of the candy red "overwater". Not sure why they've gone for the p/j though, would be good to compare it to the squier CV jazz and the bass collection "jive bass"

It's seriously worth trying out a Sandberg Basic if you can find one somewhere near. Very comfortable to play, nice slim neck and easy action, sounds AMAZING, surprisingly versatile for a single humbucker, Glockenklang preamp is great, true passive bypass, hand built in Germany - the quality is unbelievable for the money! Since I got mine a few months back my old trusty Jazz doesn't really get used any more. I paid £550 for one on BassChat in mint condition (once I'd given it a good setup and polished the frets), which is not much money for such a great bass!

I was in PMT in Brum the other week, tried out quite a few basses and then plugged a Sandberg Basic in - nothing came close, in terms of feel or sound. I think I may have found the one!

By the way, I don't work for them! :)

All good suggestions. Looking in to buying a used Aerodyne for ultimate lightweight/jazzness combo.

I'm wondering if it would be worth having some work done on the neck of my g&l though, it seems impossible to buy a replacement neck (though a sterling neck might just fit). I've tried musicmans which are wide at the nut but the flat profile makes it, if not fast, very comfortable. Could take it to the bass gallery (easiest for me to get to) to get a quote, it needs a setup anyway.

Edited by krazy_olie

[quote name='fjbass' post='1288060' date='Jun 30 2011, 06:12 PM']A Fender Jazz, or a G&L SB-2 with a #6 neck. The #6 neck is a vintage size, trim and comfortable. The Jazz neck is 1.5" at the nut.[/quote]

This^
If you want the sound and fancy a Jazz, then that's your answer.
There must be a good used Fender USA Jazz on here somewhere...

Good luck,
Jon

Cheers for all the suggestions

I got bit by the Fender bug and looks like I will probably get a Fender aerodyne to satisfy my lightweight/easy playing/jazz bass (ok it's not a true jazz) needs for now. A quality USA jazz is something I'd like in the future, couldn't really justify it right now though, I'm not looking for a "better bass" I just want an alternative one with easy play-ability, and a more traditional Fender sound. I still plan on the tribute being my "go to" as nothing sounds like it and has that much power, I put it down to the pickup and pre-amp.

I will be on the lookout for a used sb-2 or jb-2 as it's the only way I'd be able to change the neck without having one custom made (it would be cheaper than custom made or have the existing one worked on....) Once I have it newly stringed with some lower tension DRs and have it set up by a pro I'll probably stop complaining about it (it's not in a good state, the strings are too tight and old, which is my fault entirely, and I can't get the action particularly low hoping that a professional can.

Would love to get my hand on one of those ASAT basses, I imagine they sound the same but I like the telecaster styling and a quick check on the g&l site say they come with the narrow neck as standard

Edited by krazy_olie

Suppose it depends if you're a collector or a player.

I just don't like playing Stingrays or Precisions so I'm unlikely to buy any, I think Rics are overpriced although I think they look good, I think Foderas are laughably overpriced and look bad, Yamaha make some nice basses but they are covered by the stuff the Fenders do so if you bought decent Fenders they're not a requirement in any way.

IMHO, to cover everything, you need a bass with roundwounds (maybe a 5), a passive bass strung with flats, a fretless, a double bass, and maybe an acoustic bass. This business about needing lots of different types of bass guitars is a load of knackers.

1) Fender jazz
2) Fender precision
3) MusicMan Thingray
4) Rickenbacker 4001/3