Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

P Bass - Roadworn

Musicman20

there seem to be 2 different roadworn p`s out there.
The first instruments delivered where really high standard, well choosen woods and high quality check, as they want to enter the market.
A friend of mine has one of those early instruments and most of our friends played and listend to the bass were absolutely amazed about this bass.
Me not..they are without a doubt good instruments, but in my oppinion they sound a little bit "too much", like a traditional one on steroids or somtheing like that.
My friend confirms, that he had troubles while recording with that bass..he loved the bass but never got one with it.
I listend and played to a lot of different p basses MIM , MIJ MIA vintage modern etc etc..

my humble advice if you have the money and if you hear the difference go for the standard, especially in a musical context or a recording,
you will be glad about this decision. If this "little more" isn`t important for you or in your case you decided for a 2nd bass as some kind of backup or whatever..
you will be happy with one of those or maybe you should think about getting a MIJ from the 80`s for the same cash

Edited by 73Jazz

The RW is definitely very old school in its tone, but a real nice bass nonetheless. It really depends what you're looking for tone wise and feel wise (the RW necks are quite thick). Don't forget the Lakland Bob Glaub Skyline, or whatever they call it these days, also very nice.

I`ve not played a current American Standard, but do have two earlier models - 1997 & 2007, so fairly used to US P-Basses.

I played a Road Worn when in a music shop, whilst our guitarist was sorting some new gear. The RW was amazing - it was easily the most comfortable P-Bass I`d ever played up to that point, and to today, only Clarkys old Pino Palladino Signature beats that RW for comfortableness (not sure thats a real word). It sounded great too - I could get a very good Bruce Foxton/Jam sound from it.

Anyway, for me, the RW was great, and if looking to buy a new bass, that would be where my search would start.

Another interesting point about these is, you don`t see too many up for grabs 2nd hand. Either no-one buys them in the first place, or no-one wants to part with them once they`ve got `em. My moneys on the 2nd option.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1282371' date='Jun 25 2011, 07:03 PM']Do Fender still make the Mexican 50s Precision? AFAIK they are the same as the Roadworns but 'pre-beating'.

A lot cheaper too. I would happily say that the one I played was the best-feeling P bass I have had the pleasure to hold. The neck is the stuff of dreams.[/quote]

Agree, very good basses, amazing quality and sounds.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1282402' date='Jun 25 2011, 07:54 PM']...And from the leftfield...

Highway One and let nature take its course..[/quote]

That's what I'm doing :) but I haven't played a roadworn so I couldn't comment on the difference in sound :)

Hmm, well so far it seems to be that most people slate the distressed look, but then others will spend thousands on a custom shop, such as the Pino, which is also distressed!

I want another P bass basically. Not boutique, not silly money (eg over £1200), and has to be a Fender. Why? Because Ive tried so many high end Ps, but the Fender just works....

Im quite tempted to try and pick up one of these....ill have a scout around.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1283400' date='Jun 26 2011, 09:29 PM']Hmm, well so far it seems to be that most people slate the distressed look, but then others will spend thousands on a custom shop, such as the Pino, which is also distressed!

I want another P bass basically. Not boutique, not silly money (eg over £1200), and has to be a Fender. Why? Because Ive tried so many high end Ps, but the Fender just works....

Im quite tempted to try and pick up one of these....ill have a scout around.[/quote]

Gareth I'm holding a P-Bass that started its life as a Fiesta Red CV Squier and was modded by me with a Mighty Mite maple neck and lots of other parts including a Lollar pickup, this bass has turned into such a revelation in terms of how it plays and feels that I have shown it to a few vintage P affectionados (including a Vintage shop in Denmark Street) that couldn't believe what they were touching and playing. And you know someone's offered me a silly sum for it? Sometimes the simplest things turn into real marvels, you seem like the kind of chap who would rather buy "labels" and "brand new" only and so far your track record buyng new MusicMan hasn't been exactly succesful has it? As far as I remember you've returned 2 in the space of a year, after months of waiting!

You should be more adventurous and try to make something yourself, certainly cheaper and often more rewarding. If you want to try this P bass, I can lend it to you if you want. BUT I WANT IT BACK :) :)

Thanks all. I'm just after a simple well made single split pup vol/tone...

GW - I have thought about the CV but I'm not great at working on instruments and I have no proper tools, like solder iron, etc, and not a lot of time unfortunately. I'd like to, but I don't trust my skills!

Btw - my replacement Sterling 5 HS arrived two weeks back. Much lighter, well made, awesome tone, no problems :) Brand new bass.

Unless they are strung with flats/rounds....is there an advantage to owning two P-basses?

Do the tones in the range vary that much?

Not trying to hijack, just genuine interest as I'm new the P's, and loving them at the mo....put off by another as thinking it may be a little samey??

[quote]Unless they are strung with flats/rounds....is there an advantage to owning two P-basses?

Do the tones in the range vary that much?[/quote]

I've got three fretted 'P-types', and wouldn't be happy with fewer:

One has standard Fender P/Up and Elite Stainless - very bright - think JJ Burnell
One has Kent Armstrong Hot Vintage and Tru-Bass (Monster rubbery nylon-tapewound) - super thumpy / dark
Last has DiMarzio and Thomastik tapewound - very flexible / responsive to play - wide range of tones with small changes in plucking position

(Actually, with these 3 sets of strings you'd need three of *any type* of bass, I reckon)

The only problem with the Tru-Bass strings is that (for me, anyway) after a couple of hours playing, it actually removes your callouses, and it takes a few days of steels to get them back..