Why become a member? ×

effects for live band drum'n'bass

casaluigi

If you've got £300+ to spend, try and find an old AKAI Deep Impact, or for £60 get a Digitech Bass Synth Wah. I have the latter and it can put out some awesome sounds. It has a mode where it has 2 effects on at once, a sub-octave plus an envelope filter, put that before my £20 Danelectro French Toast fuzz pedal and you have a wicked effect for DnB.

Electro Harmonix Bass Multi Synth is also meant to be a good one, but not heard myself.

Zoom B2.1u has synths and with an expression pedal which could be interesting, but not sure how well they track your notes or how good they sound. I have a Line6 amp with built in synth and an external FBV express expression pedal, but the tracking is horrible.

[quote name='ahpook' post='147393' date='Feb 26 2008, 07:42 PM']i've been wondering about one of those...you reckon it's worth it ?[/quote]

I just got one for £40 off the basschat forum, unopened in it's box. Well worth it for that price. The envelope filter sounds pretty good, and the octaver tracks really well. I've not really found much of a use for the synth sounds, but if you fuzz them up they can sound really filthy. If you're not sure, wait around for a second hand one, that way you can get your money back!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='147412' date='Feb 26 2008, 08:19 PM']I just got one for £40 off the basschat forum, unopened in it's box. Well worth it for that price. The envelope filter sounds pretty good, and the octaver tracks really well. I've not really found much of a use for the synth sounds, but if you fuzz them up they can sound really filthy. If you're not sure, wait around for a second hand one, that way you can get your money back![/quote]

i'll certainly keep my eyes open...

i'm wondering if one of these might be more flexible tho...

i do like the idea of the fx loop...

I speak to the bassist of Nerve John Davis quite a bit and I can tell you the main part of his sound is the Moog Low Pass Filter and the Boss OC-2 and what he does to get a really unique sound (So unique I never thought about it) is he runs a DI after the OC-2 and sends a near full octave down signal to the desk before he then processes it further and then their sound man mixes it back together.

I think for a cheap way to do it I'd get the following

Dod FX25 Filter
Dod FX35 Octoplus (Octaver)
Digitech BSW
Ibanez SB-7
Then get a tremelo what ever takes your fancy but most likely a Boss TR-2

If you can't do it with these pedals then your doing it wrong.

if you wanna spend some serious cash let me know as these are low end of the spectrum.

[quote]Adrenalinn especially if you're working with sequencers as well as live instruments.[/quote]

[quote post='147635' date='Feb 27 2008, 09:52 AM']I can't express in words how much I want one of these[/quote]

Since I have my AdrenaLinn III I sold my PodXT + model packs... and I couldn't be happier. :)

I believe AdrenaLinn III is one of most undervalued effect units one the market. The envelope follower is fantastic. Recently, I retired my MXR Bass Auto Q and my Maxon AF-9. The envelope follower of the AdrenaLinn is so versatile that I can get all the envelope follower sounds I want (AF-9 and Auto Q included).

It has a drum machine with 200 programmable drumbeats (all nice and [i]usable[/i]) with synchronized effects. It is small enough to fit in a pedalboard and it has midi in/out with a powerful midi implementation.

couldn’t recommend it enough. I also wrote a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9116"]review[/url] a while ago about it.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ahpook' post='180252' date='Apr 19 2008, 12:44 AM']off up to preston next week to do some recording with the break-beaty/techno outfit, and i'm seriously gas-ing for a better envelope filter than my micro q-tron.

i can't afford it, but i keep looking at the q-tron+

somebody talk me out of it...[/quote]

Get Higgie's Monacor way better than any Q-tron I've ever tried

I have a Moog Low Pass Filter (with expression pedal) and a Zvex Woolly Mammoth, when I use them together (expression pedal controlling the cut off) it soooo synthy, and exactly what John Davis of NERVE uses, but that along with my Octron and you have synthy good ness at you feet :)

Many fuzzes work with the Low Pass Filter to create a similar effect, but the gate just sounds great with it! So if you want it a bit cheaper, I'd get the OC-2, some cheap fuzz (big muff variant maybe?) and the low pass filter. You won't be disappointed.

thanks for the tips folks....

and the GAS

:)

edit: well i had a think, listened to the tunes we're going playing, had a try out....and went for one of these...

think it's gonna go down a storm with some overdrive and phasing

Edited by ahpook

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ahpook' post='180406' date='Apr 19 2008, 12:08 PM']thanks for the tips folks....

and the GAS

:)

edit: well i had a think, listened to the tunes we're going playing, had a try out....and went for one of these...

think it's gonna go down a storm with some overdrive and phasing[/quote]

Get a Line 6 XT or X3 - the subdub amp preset is the proper job for clean stuff - the X3 Live is even better due to the fx loop it contains and it has enough effects to get some real electro sounding stuff going in no time - it is best through a power amp though in my experience as otherwise it'll overdrive your amp's preamp in a bad way

Good luck