Why become a member? ×

Stage Backdrops - who's really good value?

lanark

Just wondering who uses a backdrop for gigs and who you'd recommend I approach for quotes.

It would also be useful to hear any feedback about the best way of hanging them (self-standing frame, bungees etc), whether vinyl or fabric are best and what would be the most flexible size. We tend to play stages (at working men's clubs, dance halls, that sort of place) so something too small would be lost behind a 9 piece band, but getting something too big might not always fit and would be bulky to transport.

So, over to the wisdom of Bass Chat - please let me know all about Stage Backdrops: good and bad.

Depends what you want, how big, how complicated a design.

If it's basic I'd recommend picking up a load of polycotton and fabric paints and just doing it yourself.
Or find a decent struggling artist and see how much they'd do it for.

Edited by Ross

I`ve just mailed a lampy I work with loads, he sorted out a very lightweight printed backdrop for a band I work with, packs away to nothing light enough to hang from mic stands if need be.
I think backdrops are a great thing, and leave the audience with no doubts about who they are watching.They also provide a band identity and make you stand out from the others on the circuit.
Will let you know if he gets back to me.
MM

I just bought some black cotton sheet and then printed our logo onto that iron on paper you use for putting pics on t-shirts using ms publisher. Our logo is nr white so i printed it in very pale grey so I could cut it out and then simply ironed it on. Did the same with our website address and it works well. Total spend was about £40
[attachment=83207:Kefalonia_148.JPG]

I know a guy who does some really good quality stuff.
He recently did one for Steve Conte (now ex-New York Dolls) for his solo tour.

[attachment=83211:156847_4...299327_n.jpg]

Also The Jim Jones Revue -
[attachment=83212:176732_1...163094_o.jpg]

If you're interested I shoot you his email. Nice bloke, he's based in Salford.

We go for fabrick as you can change the size eaisly and is much lighter. We also have some lighting truss that we hang it from as some venues dont like you sticking things in.

We painted our own after our professional one went missing after a festival.

We got one done, its like vinyl type material, strong with metal eye holes

It does make a big difference in clubs and halls, makes the stage look good rather than shot panelling, dirty walls or curtains etc behind you

Only draw back is, you rush to put it up, tie dodgy knots etc, only to struggle to undo them at midnight

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1277130' date='Jun 21 2011, 02:59 PM']I've said it before, but some venues will require the banner to be flame retardant. I've seen sarcastic stage managers take a lighter to a bunch to check.

Dan[/quote]

To flame proof them you need only buy something like Lanceyln Flame Retarder (IIRC) i's about £10 a bottle - you just spry it on. It's what they use to flame proof theatre sets.

[quote name='lojo' post='1278820' date='Jun 22 2011, 06:07 PM']We got one done, its like vinyl type material, strong with metal eye holes

It does make a big difference in clubs and halls, makes the stage look good rather than shot panelling, dirty walls or curtains etc behind you

Only draw back is, you rush to put it up, tie dodgy knots etc, only to struggle to undo them at midnight[/quote]

Sounds very similar to the style of our backdrop with the eyelets etc.
Will all depend on what you can fasten the backdrop to, we have a lighting rig, so i went and bought some bungee cords, just crimp the ends slightly with pliers to fit snuggly in the eyelets and then attach to rig, or anything thats close by I suppose, hence the different lengths of bungees!

No hellish knots at midnight......hurrah!

[quote name='lanark' post='1279277' date='Jun 23 2011, 01:05 AM']What do people fasten them to? Do you have a frame or just any old stuff that looks secure?[/quote]

I have a simple bolt together lightweight frame made from some thin angled steel (bolts together to make a simple goalpost shape) from wickes. The missus stitched the backdrop so we can feed the horizontal steel through the top before bolting the uprights on. Theres some rubber feet on the bottom so we just lean it up against the wall behind us. The horizontal is made from two pieces so we just overlap it and gaff tape it to suit the width of the stage. At its widest its about 6m and its about 2.5m high. Very simple and basic but it's never failed in 4 yrs of playing pubs, clubs and biker fests. I think the key to ours is that the black cloth we use is very lightweight (i.e pretty cheap).

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1279329' date='Jun 23 2011, 07:52 AM']I have a simple bolt together lightweight frame made from some thin angled steel (bolts together to make a simple goalpost shape) from wickes. The missus stitched the backdrop so we can feed the horizontal steel through the top before bolting the uprights on. Theres some rubber feet on the bottom so we just lean it up against the wall behind us. The horizontal is made from two pieces so we just overlap it and gaff tape it to suit the width of the stage. At its widest its about 6m and its about 2.5m high. Very simple and basic but it's never failed in 4 yrs of playing pubs, clubs and biker fests. I think the key to ours is that the black cloth we use is very lightweight (i.e pretty cheap).[/quote]

Be good to see a pic of that - sounds like a good simple solution.

[quote name='gilmour' post='1279279' date='Jun 23 2011, 01:12 AM']To flame proof them you need only buy something like Lanceyln Flame Retarder (IIRC) i's about £10 a bottle - you just spry it on. It's what they use to flame proof theatre sets.[/quote]

That won't do in a lot of places (like mine). We need 'proof' in the form of a piece of paper that its fire retardant, not just your word that you've sprayed it with flame retarder.