Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tuning a 4 string to BEAD

Leowasright

Listening to what my current band have recorded, there a low Bs being played, and apparently he had a 5 string.

I couldn't possibly be a**ed to try to play a 5 string with such a wide neck, especially as I can't even be bothered with a 4 string Precision width neck(!) (Jazz all the way) Especially as I have 3 (4 string Jazz) basses available.

Has anyone tried setting up a 4 string as the bottom 4 strings on a 5 string ie .065" to .125" guage tuned to BEAD?

I cannot believe nobody has tried this......

David H

[quote name='Leowasright' post='146791' date='Feb 25 2008, 06:07 PM']Listening to what my current band have recorded, there a low Bs being played, and apparently he had a 5 string.

I couldn't possibly be a**ed to try to play a 5 string with such a wide neck, especially as I can't even be bothered with a 4 string Precision width neck(!) (Jazz all the way) Especially as I have 3 (4 string Jazz) basses available.

Has anyone tried setting up a 4 string as the bottom 4 strings on a 5 string ie .065" to .125" guage tuned to BEAD?

David H[/quote]

I havent tried this but I have read of people who have with success. One thing to note is that you will probably have to adjust the trussrod as the string tension will be different. I seem to remember as well that there may be an issue or challenge with regards to the nut as the strings are larger diameter so possibly you may have to file out the nut or have some work done.

If it were me I would consider getting a D tuner and playing the B's higher up OR having a go on a fiver.

Hope this helps

Steve

I had a neck without a nut that i took off an old bass and just put together a BEAD p bass with bits and bobs off ebay, it worked really well.. Really confusing when you swap between that an a standard 4 string at a gig but it sounds great to me!

[quote name='Leowasright' post='146791' date='Feb 25 2008, 06:07 PM']Listening to what my current band have recorded, there a low Bs being played, and apparently he had a 5 string... ...Has anyone tried setting up a 4 string as the bottom 4 strings on a 5 string ie .065" to .125" guage tuned to BEAD?

David H[/quote]
I have a four string fretless that I strung BEAD for a couple of years before I moved to a 5-string. The biggest problem that I had was the confusion it caused my bass teacher.

The down side is that you have to buy 5-string sets and waste the G, or buy singles and pay extra. Some US string companies do sell BEAD sets, but I have never seen them advertised over here.

[quote]The down side is that you have to buy 5-string sets and waste the G, or buy singles and pay extra. Some US string companies do sell BEAD sets, but I have never seen them advertised over here.[/quote]

Rotosound do a swingbass 4 string set 65-130, stringbusters sell them at £16 a go. I would have got some but needed them the same day and my local shop doesn't stock them. I will probably tune my 4 string back to E-A-D-G when the 5 string arrives.

I've been looking on t'internet for a 5-string under £300 over the past few days and haven't seen anything that makes me want to part with some cash. Having an inequal number of tuners either side of the headstock offends my need for symetry in this area (we're all individuals) and the only bass I've seen with all 5 tuners in a row is the Squier Affinity Jazz 5-string, but the problem here is that it doesn't come in a natural finish, (though I guess there's always paint-stripper and a sander). :)

I'm now considering buying another 4-string and carrying out the necessary mods to have it tuned BEAD. As far as getting strings goes, wouldn't buying a heavy-gauge 4 string set do the job?

Tim Commerford from RATM has his jazzes tuned BEAD, one of his fave mods with them is to put a reverse headstock neck on there. He says it gives better stability on the low B having that extra distance behind the nut. Don't know how much difference it'd make really though.

I'm thinking of knocking up a franken-jazz for BEAD when I've finished rebuilding my Squier though, so any advice is welcome. I'm not brave enough to do it to the 'ray yet, I'll wait and see how much use it gets on something less valuable first!

[attachment=5982:tim.jpg]

[quote name='Krysbass' post='147219' date='Feb 26 2008, 12:59 PM']I've been looking on t'internet for a 5-string under £300 over the past few days and haven't seen anything that makes me want to part with some cash. Having an inequal number of tuners either side of the headstock offends my need for symetry in this area (we're all individuals)[/quote]
How do you cope with the dreadful asymmetry of your Westone's body? :)

Study lots of five-string heads and examine the concept of symmetry from a different angle - after all, a 3-2 arrangement forms a W, which is symmetrical, so there is symmetry on a line between the E (probably) tuner and the midpoint between the D and G tuners.

Alternatively, buy a Steinberger XZ-25 or a Hohner Jack Custom, both of which are headless, therefore perfect for your requirements. And no, you can't have my Jack Custom.

Oops I have just read my topic starter and the 1st paragraph makes no sense! What I meant was the PREVIOUS bass player in the band before me had a 5 string and used it on recordings!

I am clearly not first to think of this tuning lark. :huh:

In a reply to early posts, 5 string basses are too wide in the neck for me, not because I have small hands (far from it), but they force me to play "unnaturally" with the thumb resting on the back of the neck (a la classical guitarists). I am lazy and sloppy, and I like to damp the low strings with my thumb over the top, hence my very clear preference for the Jazz type neck.

I still cannot even get on with a Precision after using a Jazz since the early 90's. :)

I would have thought all would be OK if one used a heavy set or about .060" to .125", as I would have thought the extra unit mass of the string minus the lower tension of the BEAD tuning would kind of cancel itself out, to about the tension of "regular" guage strings.

David H

[quote name='Krysbass' post='147219' date='Feb 26 2008, 12:59 PM']Having an inequal number of tuners either side of the headstock offends my need for symetry in this area (we're all individuals) and the only bass I've seen with all 5 tuners in a row is the Squier Affinity Jazz 5-string...[/quote]

Having inline tuners on a 5-string is just asking for neck dive. 3+2 makes much more sense if you want your bass to naturally rest in a playable position.

[quote name='Leowasright' post='147320' date='Feb 26 2008, 04:52 PM']In a reply to early posts, 5 string basses are too wide in the neck for me, not because I have small hands (far from it), but they force me to play "unnaturally" with the thumb resting on the back of the neck (a la classical guitarists). I am lazy and sloppy, and I like to damp the low strings with my thumb over the top, hence my very clear preference for the Jazz type neck.[/quote]

I've found the wider neck of a five does indeed promote better technique, which is a good thing! And I can still damp the low strings with my thumb when I want to.

[quote name='Leowasright' post='147320' date='Feb 26 2008, 04:52 PM']I would have thought all would be OK if one used a heavy set or about .060" to .125", as I would have thought the extra unit mass of the string minus the lower tension of the BEAD tuning would kind of cancel itself out, to about the tension of "regular" guage strings.[/quote]

A typical B string has lower tension than a typical G string so the total tension on the neck will diminish somewhat but it isn't a huge change.

Alex

You shouldn't have too much of a problem tuning BEAD. many 5 and 6 string basses with a low B are "34". all you might find is that the pitch definition of your very low notes may be less than that of a "35" bass.
As has already been mentioned, some truss rod and nut (and possibly bridge) adjustments may be necessary.
alternatively you could splash out on an octave pedal and play standard B?
Hope this helps

[quote name='Krysbass' post='147219' date='Feb 26 2008, 12:59 PM']I'm now considering buying another 4-string and carrying out the necessary mods to have it tuned BEAD. As far as getting strings goes, wouldn't buying a heavy-gauge 4 string set do the job?[/quote]

A heavy 'E' string is probably 110 where a light 'B' will be 125. Think you'd find the 110 tuned down to B a bit flappy. Having said that I've regularly tuned a 110 down to D without much problem.

If you're thinking of saving pennies , singles will probably work out as expensive as a set of 5s so I'd buy a set of 5s and save the G as a spare for the other bass.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='148911' date='Feb 29 2008, 12:54 PM']A heavy 'E' string is probably 110 where a light 'B' will be 125. Think you'd find the 110 tuned down to B a bit flappy. Having said that I've regularly tuned a 110 down to D without much problem.

If you're thinking of saving pennies , singles will probably work out as expensive as a set of 5s so I'd buy a set of 5s and save the G as a spare for the other bass.[/quote]

Being honest, I’m probably just looking for excuses to not step outside my 4-string comfort zone! As I could do with a low B for the rock covers band I'm with, I think I'll start looking at 5-string basses again!