Why become a member? ×

My '76 Musicmaster

Stag

Hi Chaps & Chapettes - some of you may recall I asked a few questions a while back about dismantling my old Fender before I sent the body away to get refin'd. Well, finally, it's done, and many thanks for your advice! Managed to put the thing back together again without trashing it as well, handy! I'll be taking it to Dood for him to have a "doodle" on it next week so he should be able to tell you how it plays soon as well. Cleaned all the metalwork down piece by piece, gave the frets a good buffing with metal polish wadding, then got Mr Sheen working on the mucky non-metal bits and im very happy with the end result. Ive bunged a few "before" pics on to give an idea of how it looked pre-refin. By the way, ive still got the manual (with the warranty removed - lol) and the Fender headstock tag.. well happy with it!

Cheers - Stag :)

Old horse / neeipheid : I kinda wanted a Gibson-esque finish as im GASsing for an EB-0 or EB-4.... hmmm, watch this space on that. Didnt want it to be a bright red so the more browny finish was required and done by a local cabinet / furniture restorer!

paul,the : not the waterlogged one from eBay, no. I think that one was almost unsaveable :) ! This one was spotted by a fellow BC'er in a little second hand guitar shop in Beccles sitting very unloved at the back of the shop. £200 later and it was in my house and awaiting a pretty refin :-)

[quote name='Stag' post='145914' date='Feb 24 2008, 11:17 AM']Old horse / neeipheid : I kinda wanted a Gibson-esque finish as im GASsing for an EB-0 or EB-4.... hmmm, watch this space on that. Didnt want it to be a bright red so the more browny finish was required and done by a local cabinet / furniture restorer!

paul,the : not the waterlogged one from eBay, no. I think that one was almost unsaveable :) ! This one was spotted by a fellow BC'er in a little second hand guitar shop in Beccles sitting very unloved at the back of the shop. £200 later and it was in my house and awaiting a pretty refin :-)[/quote]

I'm really impressed Stag. The colour is just right and the grain is fantastic too. A top job

I believe I'm right in thinking the pickup cut out is a Strat fit.

Endless sounds to be had there then , given the number of after market pups that drain the cash supplies of our more widdly friends.

Strat Humbucker?? Gibson sound , Gibson look , Gibson scale (I think) - all in a much nicer and better looking bass to play (IMHO) than an EB.

yeah, its a Strat fit pickup. Jean Luc-Pickguard has given me a pointer towards a pickup he recommends to replace the stock one as its a bit weedy on the bottom E in the "Dismanting an Old Fender" thread I started in the repairs forum.

Oh - and for those of you that may want something similar done (stained and lacquer refin father than nitro-cellulose) the chap who did the work is a lovely man by the name of Richard McPhee in Norwich- you can visit his website HERE :

[url="http://www.rjmcabinetmaker.co.uk/"]http://www.rjmcabinetmaker.co.uk/[/url]

He did say he would take on more guitar work if it came his way so hey, he's your man if you dig the finish he's done on my little baby.

Cheers - Stag

[quote name='Stag' post='145914' date='Feb 24 2008, 11:17 AM']paul,the : not the waterlogged one from eBay, no. I think that one was almost unsaveable :) ! This one was spotted by a fellow BC'er in a little second hand guitar shop in Beccles sitting very unloved at the back of the shop. £200 later and it was in my house and awaiting a pretty refin :-)[/quote]

Sweet find, you lucky bugger :huh: